“the good, the bad, and the ugly.........”
Review of Beqa Lagoon Resort

Beqa Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed June 4, 2008

Okay, I read all the reviews before booking our vacation at Beqa, there was such a varation, I was anxious to find out for myself. Both my husband and I are divers, our decision to stay at Beqa was based primarily on the fact that it is somewhat isolated and the diving is suppose to be superb. Reading about the wonderful "bures" and food served at Beqa only confirmed our decison to book there.

As I read in one of the reviews, yes you have to take a boat over to Beqa then get be transported over from to the larger boat to a smaller one, the person(s) on the small boat will bring you as close to the beach area as possible, I honestly don't understand why that would be a problem. If you watched when the tide was down, if a pier was built it would have to longer than any we have seen. If you have a problem with getting your feet wet, I would advise you to go elsewhere..

Yes, we were greeted by Mark (the manager) and his wife, both were eager to provide us with all the information we needed to make our stay enjoyable. We were escorted to our bure, 10, by a lovey village girl, that didn't forget our names the entire 10 days we were there. I got to say, the bure was somewhat disappointing. I will be the first to admit, I am usually hot when everyone else is okay. My husband and I both spent the first 3 nights up and down showering, because we were so miserably hot. The bures are built with privacy fences on either side, the bed is located towards the back of the bure with a partial wall built between middle, it was always much cooler outside (where you could catch a breeze, than inside, with the "air" running (an old, dirty unit that did nothing to cool, even on high.) tthere was any way the ocean breeze could curculate within the bure. On the 3rd day I asked the manager for a fan, when they quickly provided. The fan helped, but having "air conditioning" would have been great :).

The Fijians are some of the nicest people we have ever met, even the kids went out of their way to be respectful. I love the kind of diving we did with Beqa, all of our dive gear was loaded and ready for us when we got on the spacious dive boat(s). When getting back on the boats (from the dives) our bc'c were taken before we got on the boat (A huge plus for someeone with back problems.) Because Fijians, in general, do not want confrontations we experienced some of our worst diving experiences ever while diving with Beqa. There was a large group of Russians that my husband and I dove with almost the entire time, the first day they were smoking (around the tanks.), all of us saw them chasing fish, laying on coral (taking each others pictures.), picking up coral and digging under (what they were looking for I don't know.), one instance one of them picked up a frogfish resting on a piece of coral and started carrying it up to the boat, halfway up it was let go, so we watched as the fell to the bottom. They were very experienced divers, that didn't care. I told Mark, the manager about what we had seen, and I have to say, the next day I didn't see anyone smoking, although someone said they moved to the top of the boat but the behavior in the ocean didn't stop. We tried to get the crew to say something to the Russians, but they didn't. From what I understand, Fijians are very respectful towards everyone, even when they don't need to be. For my husband and myself, the diving experience there, because of the Russians was the worst we have ever, ever, experienced.

Each meal you had a choice between 2 meal's prepared, no matter what it was always good. Every since I have been home I have been trying to reproduce the warm chocolate souffle

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank JayneGA

Reviewed June 3, 2008

If you are an avid diver, and preferably from the United States, then this is your place. Otherwise stay the Hell away!

You will not receive a TRUE Fijian experience here.

All activities are organized around the dive. Dive boats go out at 8:00am, return by 1:00pm for lunch, other activities start at 2:30pm, Happy Hour 5-6:00pm, poor entertainment from 6-7:00pm, Dinner at 7:00pm, divers usually in bed by 8:30pm.

The beach was very rocky and very unsuitable for sunbathing. The pool was slimey an stinky when we arrived on a Saturday. It took them until Tuesday to start cleaning it which really didn't improve conditions too much. No pool side service.

The reef out front appeared to be dead. We were hard pressed to find a fish while kayaking around.

The bures were quite nice, although they are in need of some repairs/upgrades due to their age. The room cleaning staff never replaced any coffee and tea packages during our entire stay.

Dinners and lunches were absolutely fabulous. Breakfasts were nothing special. The communal dining was not a favourite of ours as the conversations were usually about diving and dominated by the largely American divers. Private dining was available for an extra $20 a head which we felt was a little too high.

The waterfall, while nice in itself, was not the picture in the brochures they had laying about. In fact the picture was that of the third/upper waterfall at Bouma National Park on Taveuni.

Management was quite friendly and accommodation, however the staff were not overly friendly and appeared standoffish at times. The Fijian activities were the worst we've ever seen in Fiji. The Meke was OK, but too short. The resort couldn't even keep their guitars supplied with all 6 strings.

The trips into the 2 villages, on either side of the resort, were nothing more than shopping trips with the guide continually stating "...you're not been to Fiji unless you have bought something from the village..." Compared to other Fijians we've encountered, these Beqa Fijians came off a little like beggars. We attributed that largely to the dive oriented operations.

We truly felt out of place here, and I'm sure this would be echoed by the other guests. We ended up leaving a day early so we could spend our last day at one of our other favorite resorts just so we could end our holiday on a positive note.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Want-to-beFijian
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Beqa Lagoon delivers on every promise. the diving is phenomenal, the divemasters and deck hands make every dive SAFE and easy ensuring you see everything from the magic coral to stonefish.
the food is the finest I have ever had outside the US. The New Zealand lamb is spectacular as are the desserts.
the staff is so friendly and helpful every day was a dream and we will be going back again next year

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bgilchrist
Reviewed April 25, 2008

If this is "paradise" I am going to have to look up the meaning in the dictionary. We stayed at the resort March 30 to April 8 2008in a group of 24 people. We stayed in bure #12- the farthest away from the main bure. We were infested with cockroaches, and when we informed management they told us that they were palm beatles. Fortunately there were plenty of them around also so that we could make comparisons. It is bad enough that at any given time after dark you could find 15 palm beatles and 3 cockroaches on our deck, but when they are running around your toiletries on the bathroom vanity that is just disgusting! Call me crazy but I don't think you should have to strip your bed nightly to check for cockroaches in "paradise". Getting any rest in the afternoon was also impossible. For the first 3 days they were putting a new roof on our bure, when they were finished with that they repaired several missing boards on our deck. Of course they had to power wash and stain the deck after that. We were also fortunate enough to share a water heater with bure #11. Because of the communal dining experience, you had 4 people trying to shower at the same time, I got used to cold showers. the diving wasn't spectacular as many people have suggested, visibility was limited and the coolest thing that I saw was a seahorse 10 feet from shore. As for the claim of unlimited shore diving, sure this is true if you want to use rocks instead of lead for weights since they do not keep 1 ounce of weight at the dive centre. On 2 occasions there were not even any full tanks of air available. As for all the friendly Fijians,I only came across 3, Devalu, Lome, and Losa. No friendly Fijian ever brought us a drink by the pool. The pool area was also often unkept with several glasses and garbage left on the shakey patio tables for hours on end and sometimes overnight. Be very careful where you sit at dusk around the pool because if you sit under the breadfruit tree you are likely to be hit by bat crap! Deep sea fishing is another farce, sucker fishing is more like it. The resort caught 6 we caught nothing. But again we had a better chance of catching a bird than any fish with our lures skipping across the surface of the water at very high speed. When your fishing guide is reading a newspaper for 2 hours in the cabin of the boat it is not a very good sign. I desperately had to fight the urge to pop the fishing poles out of the rod holders and let them sink.

The one positive thing that I can say is that the food was outstanding! The only downside to that is the set dining times. If you wanted something to eat outside the set times you are SOL. You can get french fries at the bar but it will take 45 minutes to get them.

I truly wish that I could say some more positive things about Beqa but I would be lying. For the cost of this trip one would be better off in Cozumel for a month.

• Stayed: April 2008
11  Thank LondonDiveguy
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Bula!!! You will hear that word often. We were there for two weeks and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The staff and management were some of the most friendliest people we have ever met and enjoyed visiting with them.
The meals were great, thank god for chefs like LaLa. Dining is communal, which gives everyone a chance to meet new and interesting people. Breakfast is a buffet of fresh fruit, toast and cereal or you can order eggs or french toast/pancakes. Coffee is usually ready at 6:00am. Lunch is scheduled with the return of the dive boats (we always had time for a shower before lunch). Dinner usually had some sort of entertainment before the meals were served at 7:00pm.
We were there for the diving and were not disappointed. Every dive site we went to was different and the knowledge of the divemasters regarding the areas was excellent. The reefs are in great shape and had an abundance of life.
We took a fishing/diving excursion and thoroughtly enjoyed our day even though we didn't catch any fish. We also did a day of shopping and went to the museum in Suva and enjoyed that as well.
Our bure was very clean and comfortable as well as private. We used the laundry service while there and were pleased that we had clean clothes when we got home, the cost for this service is minimal.
The grounds at the resort are fantastic. There was an abundance of flowers in bloom and the water garden is full of life. Make sure to try and find all the little statues around the resort some are quite interesting. We didn't spend much time at the pool (not really our thing) but it is near the common dining hall and seemed to be quite well used by others.
We enjoyed the field trips to the village and the school and were amazed at the friendliness of everyone we met on the island.

Thanks to Mark and Sue as well as all the staff for our "Absolutely Wonderful Vacation"
We will be back!!!!
The Canadians

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank ABdiver
Reviewed April 3, 2008

You will not be disappointed staying at the Beqa Lagoon Resort. We just returned having 18 total persons in our group and everyone had a wonderful time. The staff is very friendly. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The beachfront bures with the private yard is heaven. The diving is good and they try not to let you work too hard. The food was wonderful. Our only suggestions to improve is to rotate serving the tables. We always seemed to get fed last and the first table was through with dessert long before we even got our entrees. Dinner is a bit late--starts at 7pm, but being served last was well into 8-9pm. Not good if you want to hang out for a while to digest your food and still get up for the 7am breakfast call. The pool is very nice and fun to hang out at. We even found seahorses near shore in ankle deep water. Will definitely go back again. Thanks Mark and Sue and your wonderful staff for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Went in March 2006 for five days before we sailed on a live-aboard the following week. We took a small open motor boat from the main island to Beqa - not my idea of a safe motor taxi. But, we knew were going to ruff-it. We had to disembark in the water - knee deep - and walk onto the beach - they do not have a pier.

Greeting and check-in went very well. Had a bure on the beach with a dipping pool and king-sized bed. Very comfortable. Ordered the honeymoon package that included a private meal at our bure one evening, a massage for two, and a four-hour picinic lunch on a private island. Beware of the private island picnic - lots of biting ants just waiting for their weekly meal of tourists and their lunch! The picninc lunch was actually left-overs from the previous evening dinner. If you do go to the private island, bring toilet paper from your room, if you know what I mean! We brought our snorkeling equipment to the island - best idea yet! Walked around the island in 15 minutes - it's really a sandbar with a few palm trees. Lots of trash and debris on the island so be sure to wear some shoes, not just sandals.

Diving was very good. First trip to the South Pacific. Dive masters very knowledgable. Lots of clown or anemone fish. Some big pelagics like white tip sharks and mantas. Lots of time spent in groups following dive master. Two morning boat dives and unlimited shore diving.

Grounds of the resort very lush, full of local flora and fauna. Meals were very good! Had a great daily selection. Participated in the local village tour - all women have to have their upper arms and knees covered - so ladies pack a skirt with T-shirt or dress. Kava ceremony was a great cultural event. Germophobics beware - for the Kava ceremony everyone drinks from the same cup. Firewalking even was fascinating.

Overall, would find another place to stay if we ever go back. While all inclusive, it is very isloated. If you are a non-diver, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island
Wellesley Resort Fiji
Wellesley Resort Fiji
#3 of 4 in Korolevu

Been to Beqa Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!