“Made friends for life!”
Review of Beqa Lagoon Resort

Beqa Lagoon Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My bf and I were traveling solo to Beqa Lagoon and I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews about big dive groups at the resort. But our group of 22 divers also traveled in small clusters and soon became a large group of friends who dined and dived together.
As for the resort, Mark and Poldi(na) did a fantastic job in making everyone feel very welcome. Their stories about their travels were amazing and it was very nice that they shared them with guests each night at dinner.
As far as the beachfront bures, we started out in bure 7 then switched to 4. All that I can say is that beachfront bures are not created equal. Request rooms 1-6. Those are the nicest ones. Seven was larger, but the furniture was older and the garden layout was not as beautiful.
The dive staff was very competent - a far cry from my last trip to Taveuni - and took us to very beautiful and manageable dive sites.
The shark dive was one of the most amazing dives I ever experienced. The sharks were so close. But I never felt any fear or concern. The dive masters knew how to corral the sharks and keep them happy - thus, not hungry.
The staff was really sweet and almost invisible. They turned down the beds and lit candles while guests were eating dinner. They were all very friendly, as is the norm in Fiji.
We did not do any of the tours. We walked to the waterfall by ourselves. And we skipped the school visit. But, as recommended, we brought pencils for the school children and sent them on with others from our group.
In all, the stay was relaxing, exciting, invigorating and memorable.

Room Tip: Choose beachfront bures 1-6. They have the best view, furniture and layout.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank peanutgal1

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Beqa Lagoon is an excellent property, nice rooms, swimming pool, and open air main dining room. The rooms are air conditioned and very comfortable. Mark, the facility manager is very personable and always there to deal with problems or just to visit with guests. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The resort has a lot of space so no one feels crowded. All rooms seem to be about the same, some are facing the ocean and have a small infinity pool, but are not heated so we never used it. Our group was 17 divers and we comfortably fit on their large dive boat, The boat had mechanical problems, but the resort worked very hard completing repairs and placing it into service. There was an upper deck for us to sit on during traveling or during surface intervals. The dive activity was very good and well organized. Sea life was excellent, but a combination of hard and soft coral. I have found that the northern islands, such as Taveuni have an abundance of beautiful solt corals and the islands to the south, such as Matava have almost all hard corals. Travel to the resort from Nadi is about 3 hours in a comfortable bus. There is a shopping stop on the way for a break

Room Tip: The rooms for our group were some with ocean view and the rest around a really nice lily pad pond ar...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Phil S
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was concerned about going to a resort with no TV's. Boy I sure didn't miss it or the phones and internet. It was truly a relaxing vacation. The staff and management was great and couldn't do enough for you. The bures were very clean and comfortable. The food was also great not at all what I was expecting. It was as good as any 5 star restaurant. We enjoyed the visit to the school and village. The staff made you feel apart of their community and customs. We went diving every day and the dive masters were professional and courteous. The diving there was amazing. The dive masters showed us all kinds of new fish and corals that we had not seen before. I have only been diving in the Caribbean. The only thing I missed was getting lots of ice in my drinks. We had massages and felt like putty when they were done.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LoveDiving61
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Beqa Lagoon. We can't say enough good things about the resort, the managers, and the staff. Everyone worked hard to make sure we had a trip of a lifetime. The new managers are lovely and do a wonderul job. The resort is well maintained, the bures (ours was a beach front) are very comfortable, the food excellent, and the diving was all we hoped. Getting there is a long trek but once you are on the island, it's worth it. We had two rainy mornings which cleared before noon into beautiful tropical days. Otherwise, the weather was great. We wished we had been able to stay longer and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: I would recommend a beach front bure - there are seven.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NeilPuebloWEst
Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a great experience. My buddy and I went for the diving, which was excellent with an amazing variety of soft coral, Blue Eels and the only place in the world where you can dive cageless with 8 species of sharks. Shark "wranglers" hand fed several of the denizens despite the fact that 2 of the species (Bull and Tiger) are among the 4 true "man-eater" sharks in the world.
The resort was idyllic, we stayed in a beachfront Bure with its own tree-strung hammock, personal patio pool and spacious living quarters with very nicely appointed bathroom with shower.
We traveled in the off season which provided the warmest water temperatures, discounted rates and easy access to the General Manager of the resort as we were 2 of only a handful of visitors.
Mark the General Manager was personable and rapidly responsive to all of our requests, and the staff were friendly and attentive. The cuisine was excellent.
The dive staff were exceptionally good and I felt like I had a guardian angel at my back throughout (especially on the shark dives)
Overall an exceptional vacation at discount prices.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank BarrySheppard
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My bf and I visited this place during my birthday last year in May. We stayed there for about 6 days. This was our first Fijian visit, it wasn't exactly easy to get to at first, we were picked up at the airport for a 2 hour ride, and then a 1 hour big boat, transferring to a small boat that anchors on shore. A one minute walk to the beach at front of the resort. We were immediately welcomed by the resort staff, provided food and drink to get started. Our luggages were brought in to our private bure for us. The bure is beautiful, our backyard overlooks the ocean and has a hammock hanging off the tree. We also have a mini pool to ourselves.

The food is cooked to order every meal so we get fresh food every meal. We usually begin our day with 2 dives, and have the afternoon off - either to visit the local schools, local village or just simple chill.

As it was my birthday, the resort had provided me a cake (requested by my bf) and it was presented to me with the band singing happy birthday in fijian.

I did my diving certification there, with Delano the divemaster, he was extremely helpful - and did my first dive there. The crew was extremely helpful with setting up dive gears, and it is pretty much all looked after for us everyday.

This is a great island getaway, without being stuck in a touristy area and you experience the fijian culture by visiting the local village. Overall, I highly recommend this place and we would return when we next visit Fiji.

Room Tip: Choose ocean front bure!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travel_kuan
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the second time we've been to Beqa Lagoon. Some things have changed, but the diving was still great and the personnel at the resort are still the most friendly people in the world. And the food did not change - it was again 4 star. We had a group of 41, and it was great having the staff remember your name after only a couple of days. Mark, the new manager was personable and helpful. The dive staff is just plain great! Although they had a couple of typhoons blow through the previous 2 months, the reefs were spectacular, although there was some evidence of some damage. The critters didn't seem effected at all. I wholly endorse this resort. Being with a diving group both times, I would also recommend that. Just be prepared for a very relaxing stay. The spa is to die for!!!

Room Tip: If you can get a burra on the ocean, go for it. We were in number 1 for both of our stays, although...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island
Waidroka Bay Resort
Waidroka Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Korovisilou

Been to Beqa Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!