“Beautiful Lalati Resort and Spa”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was our fifth time in Fiji but our first time at Lalati Resort and Spa. As we approached the resort by boat, the landscape took our breath away! We were met with refreshing punch and "Bula" from the lovely people who met our boat. While we checked in each of us was given a foot massage. Then my husband and I were shown our huge ocean view two room buree with large bathroom, sitting area, and large porch with hammock and comfortable chairs. The dining bure is spacious and the food was superb! Dive facilities and crew are 5 star. Activities are posted each day and varied fun things to do. The staff works very hard to make your stay extremely enjoyable. We will be back again!

1  Thank brainsbeads

Reviewed July 25, 2010

Our trip to Lalati Resort & Spa was truly a trip of a lifetime. We were thrilled with the location, the service staff, the room, and the food. The resort owner, Brad, went out of his way to ensure that our stay was memorable and that we were well taken care of. Lalati may be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. It is a remote, jungle-like setting providing adventure, while you are pampered by a friendly, attentive staff. The isolation of the resort promotes an intimate experience perfect for couples. Also, you can get to know the staff as they become like family. We enjoyed the activities provided by the resort and made the most of them. We snorkeled, kayaked, swam, fished, and took the sunset cruise, which I highly recommend. The resort provided visits to the local villages where you can meet people and experience the culture of Fiji. We found our stay to be quite a bargain. I can only rave about Lalati and hope that we can return one day. We continued our vacation with a visit to another island and the resort there did not compare to Lalati. Bula!

1  Thank Reeni444
Reviewed July 22, 2010

a must visit location. special special place. the location the people the food - all amazing. highlight = seeing sea turtles and humpback whales. don't dive but snorkling right in front of resort = amazing. no internet but that was a plus on such a relaxing vacation.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Life, marriage, as well as vacations are, for the most part, what you make of them. I will be the first to admit when my beautiful bride told me she wanted us to celebrate our 30 year wedding anniversary in Fiji the thought of a nearly 11 hour flight from LAX to islands we knew little about did not thrill me. We had spent our 25th anniversary in the beautiful islands of Tahiti and had a great time with close to six fewer hours of total flight time which to my way of thinking would have been a better choice being that we only stayed on three of the islands and there was more to see. However, as so often is the case, she was correct in choosing Fiji. Knowing now what I did not know before our trip I would have regretted not coming to Fiji. We had the time of our life. Many people asked us the question which island group is better, Tahiti or Fiji and that is a tough question to answer. For us they are both great places to visit however there is a very different feeling between these two locations which adds to the appeal and variety of exploring more islands of the South Pacific. The main difference we saw was that the outer islands of Fiji were far less developed and had much less of a feeling of being commercialized, which played into making this a trip to remember.

I must give a hat tip to Dick at [--] for turning us on to Lalati Resort. Wanting to make this a trip worthy of 30 wonderful years of marriage, I spent a great deal of time researching Fiji and their resorts from over 5500 miles away. One never knows what to expect when you actually get to some places and lucky for us Lalati turned out to exceed our expectations. The staff was great with a genuine concern for their guests. The people of Fiji and Laliti are some of the friendliest people we have ever met and seem to be on a mission to please, and make your stay as entertaining as you want it to be. The food was great as were most of the guest we met. We stayed in the Garden Honeymoon Villa for seven nights and we loved it. Now in total disclosure I must admit the mosquitoes were an issue but we overcame this issue with coils and mosquito spray supplied by the resort. If mosquitoes kept us from visiting Lalati we would have missed staying at a beautiful resort and missed some of the prettiest sunrises we’ve ever seen.

When one truly considers Lalati remote location, absent of the things many people take for granted like being on a power grid or access to an endless supply of fresh water piped in or most of the supplies, food and fuel must be shipped in by boat you can’t help but be impressed by the fact that this resort can offer its guest almost all the comfort of a big city resort on remote island. My wife said it is like being Robinson Crusoe with three meals a day and maid service. I had several conversations with the owner Brad and was impressed with his can-do attitude. He was a stand up guy who also seemed to have a genuine concern for his guests and very interested in their feed back. Rome was not built in a day and neither was Lalati but to have a guy at the helm that seem to be passionate about improving this resort and the stays of his guest makes this resort a great choice.

Many Thanks to Brad and the Lalati Staff

1  Thank mtbndb
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and came to LaLati for our honeymoon with great expectaions for 'paradise' and were not disappointed. From the time we arrived the staff was magnificent. All of our desires were taken care of quickly and efficiently. The resort itself and setting was more beautiful than we imagined. We spent two days alone on a small private island, hiked to a gorgeous waterfall, dove a shipwreck and smoe other beautiful sights. This was a dream vacation and we cant wait to return

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I must admit that I don't like to provide negative reviews, but I feel obliged to share our experiences with those that are considering spending time here.

Please know that Lalati is NOT a luxurious resort and spa as described on their Web site. I think it has potential, but needs a management team dedicated to its guests and proper site maintenance. This resort needs some tender, loving care in a big way.

Also, I don't feel that we got a true Fiji experience here.

The good:

The island and property is beautiful from afar, and the *Fijian* staff that works on the property is really sweet and helpful, especially Mary and the Operations Manager. We also had a warm welcome upon check-in and were greeted with a flower lei and foot bath. We didn't spend time diving, but I understand that the diving is pretty great.

The bad:

**FOOD POISONING**

You have 1 and only 1 place for eating here. On day 2, my husband was the only person at lunch who had the fish tacos. Within a few hours, he was extremly sick with food poisoning...couldn't be away from the bathroom or his bed. For the rest of the trip, he could barely eat anything. Unfortunately, when you have a package deal, you pre-pay your meals. The Fijian staff was concerned and helpful by bringing him crackers and lemon tea. The owner, Brad, was fully aware of how sick he was, but never bothered to mention anything to us. Nor was there any reimbursement for not being able to eat any of the meals. The day before we left, I got sick as well after eating dinner. We only drank Fiji water out of a bottle - so we know it wasn't the water. That in itself was a horrible experience, but there's more.

**DUSTY BURE WITH MOSQUITOS AND BROKEN SCREENS**

When we checked into our Seaview Cottage, we were greeted with a ton of mosquitos and broken screens, so we knew we had no way of keeping the mosquitos out. When we sat on the couch, a number of spiders came out of the cushions. There were cob webs everywhere and it was obvious that no one had stayed there in a while. Since this was the final 5 days of our honeymoon (we had been traveling around Fiji for a few weeks), and we knew that only 1 other bure was occupied, we asked the manager if we could upgrade to the Ocean Front Honeymoon Bure. The management agreed to give us a discounted rate, and we swiftly moved to the Honeymoon Bure. A big thanks to the Operations Manager for transfering our bags and making sure the room was prepared for us.

**OVERPRICED HONEYMOON VILLA WITH ROACHES, WASPS, NON-FUNCTIONING FANS**

The villa looked gorgeous and we were so excited that we got a discounted rate and was able to secure this bure, especially with the outside courtyard with the hot tub. But then, we learned quickly that we couldn't go outside because of the dozens of enormous wasps and mosquitos that were circling the courtyard. We had to ask management to come look for nests and spray for wasps.

We found animal feces (possibly from a gecko) on the counter top. I stepped on a dead roach in the bottom of the shower. I thought for sure that the cleaning crew would remove it when they came, but they left it there.

The ceiling fans didn't work and they put a large floor fan that sounded like an airplane taking off, so we didn't use it.

We joked about how we felt like we were in Animal Planet at night because you heard the geckos chirping in the ceiling, bats in the trees outside the house, pigs (we think?) and dogs squeeling through the night.

They promote a 200+ collection of DVDs available for the honeymoon bure. They are bootleg copies and some work, some don't.

The paths to the bures are not lit (no torches or anything). We brought our headlamps, but you'd think they'd provide some lighting for their guests at night.

Sure - we are in an outer island of Fiji and it was jungle-like. But, let me state that the nightly rate for this room, as posted on their Web site, is $715 USD/per night. No joke. For this price, I expect higher quality. In fact, we spent 2 weeks traveling in other outer islands of Fiji, and this was the most expensive place we stayed (even without the upgrade to the Honeymoon Villa!), and most poorly maintained.

**NOT A TRUE FIJIAN EXPERIENCE**

We had asked for a kava night (which was scheduled for the Friday night we were there), since we love the tradition. Not just Kava, but local Fijians singing and playing music together. They said the were having one, but when Friday came, it never existed.

Also, we read that Beqa is famous for Firewalkers. We also asked to see firewalkers and they ignored our request.

Please note that both of these were among the "free" activities they promoted to us. I was sad to see that some of the people we traveled with hadn't been to other parts of Fiji and didn't know what the kava tradition was. They left the country without experiencing a key part of the culture.

**ACTIVITIES**

We went snorkeling the first day we were there (before we got sick). A tiny boat brought us out to 3 different snorkeling spots. The snorkeling was truly beautiful and we had a great time. However, the boat was rickety and didn't have a ladder. The driver had to hoist us out of the water. The anchor was a cinder block, which was thrown on the coral.

There were 2 other activities that struck us as strange, where we would never take part: (1). Trapping a Mongoose and (2). Chasing Wild Pigs.

This may sound trivial, but there was only about 5-6 songs replayed during meal-times, and this was for our entire stay. They played over and over and over again. I think this is a true testament to how management is not aware of their client experience. Rotating playlists is a quick and easy thing to do to keep guests happy and entertained.

**NOT A LUXURY SPA**

I had a few spa treatments: a body scrub, facial and manicure. My husband had a massage. The entire time I was in the spa, I could hear the owner on the phone with his bank. Mary, who did my treatments, was SO SWEET. However, she doesn't have the tools she needs to run a spa. It is bare bones, at best. When I was having my manicure, she didn't have any hot water or nail polish.

Again, I understand that we are in an outer island. But if you don't have nail polish, don't promote nail services, and don't charge prices like you are a full-service spa. My manicure was $30 USD.

**MANAGEMENT FORGOT TO ARRANGE US TRANSPORT BACK TO THE AIRPORT**

Part of the package was airport transfers. We spoke with the owner the day before check-out. He told us that we would leave the island by their boat at 8:30am, and when we arrived to Pacific Harbour, our driver would be there to take us to the airport. The owner sent us off that morning on the boat. But when we arrived to Pacific Harbour, there was no driver. The boat driver had to call the resort to find out what was going on. We waited for 1 hour. The driver wasn't scheduled to pick us up afterall. We then had to go to a different resort on the way to the airport and sit and wait, while he arranged transportation for another couple that he was originally scheduled to pick up. Not acceptable service, if you ask us.

Perhaps, our experience was atypical, but we think it's important that you get an honest assessment of our time at Lalati.

Also note: I believe that Lalati has changed ownership/management 3 times since 2000.

3  Thank shanna_q_leonard
Lalatiowners, Owner at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2010

Bula from beautiful Beqa Island! We regret that you did not thoroughly enjoy your Lalati experience with us. But we do want to address your concerns:

Lalati Resort is a rated 4 star resort. But we are on an outer island, in the middle of the sea, so you will not find some of the amenities (concierge, doormen, parking attendants, etc) that you would expect to find at a main island resort. However, we feel Lalati provides our guests with an authentic, warm and friendly island escape.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, the only place to eat is at the resort. There are no roads on Beqa Island, and the only transport is via boat. It is not like Hawaii where you can walk from one resort to another, but we feel that’s part of Fiji (and Beqa’s) charm.

I want to make clear something that you mentioned, that is not quite accurate. You did not prepurchase your meals. Lalati is an all inclusive resort, and your meals were included with your package price. I’m sure you forgot that, as you visited other resorts whilst you were in the islands.

Additionally, 4 other people at the resort also ate the fish tacos – I was one of them. None of us became ill from the food. Our fish is fresh from our unpolluted waters, and wonderful. We don’t have the worry of mercury and other pollutants here in Fiji.

Sometimes people pick up a bug in an unfamiliar climate, and most often think its food poisoning that’s the culprit. Generally speaking as a good rule of thumb, food poisoning only lasts until whatever the offending item is, is out of your system, generally within 1 day or so. If your husband was sick the whole time, I’m pretty sure he picked up a tropical bug. I did know about your husband being sick, and if you recall, I did speak to both you and your husband to find out how he was feeling during your short 4 day stay with us. And our resort manager, Olivia, reported to me each morning on what she and the staff were doing to help ease his discomfort.

We appreciate you mentioning the broken screen in the Seaview Cottage. This was caused by a guest who was swinging in the outside hammock a bit too vigorously, and the hammock ripped the screen. This has been replaced, and these kinds of comments are always attended to as quickly as possible.

As far as the Animal Planet, yes, we are in coexistence (as all of Fiji) with various kinds of wildlife. The “animal feces” was by all means gecko. We don’t want people to think we have dogs and cats roaming around the inside of our villas! The geckos do get into the rooms through the doorways (when guests come and go), and we do our best to keep up, and the staff does visits each villa and cottage twice daily. If staff was not keeping your villa maintained, we wish you would have let us know immediately, so it could have been rectified. We do have a set of standards for cleanliness in the rooms, and if that standard was not met, we need to know so we can address that problem with our housekeeping staff.

After reading this, I immediately had a meeting with housekeeping, and read them your concerns. They are fully aware that cobwebs or bugs in villas are not acceptable, and again, had you mentioned this to the resort manager, she would have swiftly taken care of the problem.

And I’m quite sure there were no pigs outside your villa! Sometimes fruit bats make noises and perhaps you thought it sounded like a pig. There is a saying in Fiji – if it sounds like a cat, it’s a bat, if it sounds like a dog, it’s a bird (barking pigeon), if it sounds like a bird, it’s a gecko. But most of our guests comment on the sounds of the waves lapping on the shore when they retire for the evening.

We do have close to 300 DVDs for our guests’ enjoyment. If one is damaged, we’d love you let us know, so we can take it out of circulation. Unfortunately, this is Fiji, and we are in a DVD region with Malaysia. Because of this, DVDs from places like Australia and the US do not work in Fiji DVD players. We have to purchase our DVDs from Fiji. Some are copies that the stores make, and we do our best to get what we can, and the highest quality that is offered here, but we have no control over what they sell in the islands.

All paths are lit by overhead lighting in the trees. Kava ceremonies are held weekly. You were at the resort for 4 days, and we apologize if the ceremony was not held during your stay. Firewalking was never promoted to you as a complimentary activity. I’ve gone through every email sent to you, and what we did confirm was that your booking included your accommodations, meals, transfers, taxes and non motorized, self guided watersports activities. Firewalking is a charged event, held on the other side of the island. Firewalking is also a once a week event, being that the villagers who perform this ceremony have to spend quite a while in long preparations before the event. It is not something they can do on the spur of the moment, or even within a 24 hour notice. If the staff did not fully explain this, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Trapping a Mongoose is not detrimental to the mongoose at all! It is a “have a heart” trap, and it’s a chance for guests to see what a mongoose looks like up close. They will then be released to roam once again. Chasing the Wild Pig is an opportunity for a guest to go hunting with the villagers. The wild boar is an important food source for the villagers, and no, a hunting trip may not be for everyone, but we have had a few intrepid travellers who have enjoyed experiencing this true Fijian way of life.

We have over 500 songs on our iPod, divided between 8 different playlists, which are supposed to be rotated on a daily basis. Since this is obviously a bit complicated for staff, we’ve changed that to just have 1 playlist, and have staff use the “shuffle” function on the iPod. I suspect one of our staff members must have been playing their favorite songs over and over. Again, just mentioning it to them would have rectified that annoyance.

As far as the spa goes, I am looking at a myriad of nail polish colors. I checked with Mere, who did your manicure, and she told me that you said you preferred to use a clear polish as you didn’t want any of the colors we had on hand since you were going back to the US. We are definitely not a bare bones spa, and this is an extremely misleading comment. We are not a nail salon, but we do offer deluxe island manicures and pedicures, and I’ve just counted 35 different nail colors in the spa – from buff to pale pastel pink, to reds and even some golds, silvers, aquamarine blue, etc. We are proud of our spa and therapists. We have 15 different kinds of massage treatments, 5 body therapies and 4 different facials – from pure cane sugar and grated coconut scrubs, to papaya wraps, to warm seashell massages, aromatherapy massage, beach and moonlight massages and more.

Finally, I am sorry that the transfer company did not meet you at the dock. The management or I, the owner, did not “forget” to arrange your transport back to the airport. The transfer schedule definitely had your transfer on it, and was given to the transport company well in advance. Whilst the company we contract for airport transfers obviously made an error, we do take full responsibility, as we do include transfers in your accommodations package.

Brad de Geus, General Manager/Co-owner

Reviewed July 7, 2010

We had the most amazing time at Lalati! I won't kid anyone, the trip there is brutal, especially if you're from the East Coast. In a nutshell, 6 hours to LAX, then stopover for a couple hours, 11 hours to Nadi, Fiji, then 2 hour car ride, then 1/2 hour boat ride before you get to the resort. By the time you get there, you feel like a limp (and slightly grungy)dishrag. However, its definitely worth it, and nothing was nicer than the wonderfully warm welcome we received from the staff--when we arrived they were singing, and they brought us tropical drinks, gorgeous flower leis, and warm towels because unfortunately it was pouring down rain and windy when we arrived. I can't describe how wonderful the traditional foot washing welcome ceremony felt to tired, travel-weary (and swollen from the plane ride) feet, topped off by a brief massage with delicious coconut lotion.
After the foot-washing, we were taken to our room--we had booked a seaview cottage, which was set back a little ways from the lagoon. When we first entered the cottage, I have to admit it was not what we were expecting. The seaview cottages are older, and this is reflected in the appearance of the bathroom and the interior. Because the seaview cottages are closer to the rain forest, the mosquitoes were FIERCE (you definitey will need some industrial-strength bug spray if you're coming to this part of Fiji). If you are expecting a small bit of luxury after a long trip, you're likely to be disappointed as well. However, this was also our first (but far from last) experience with how friendly and accomodating the Lalati staff is. They were truly dedicated to making sure we were happy with every aspect of our stay. We spoke to Oli, who listened attentively to our concerns and quickly obtained an upgrade for us to an oceanfront villa--we were so lucky that one was available! Believe me, its worth it to book oceanfront--the villas are almost brand new, and just beautiful on the inside--high, vaulted ceilings, traditional weaving on the exposed beams,tropical decor and very spacious. The bathroom was also MUCH nicer. I fell asleep the first night listening to the gentle rush of the waves on the beach and from there on out, our honeymoon just became everything we ever dreamed of.
My husband and I are big divers, and the diving in Beqa Lagoon was absolutely spectacular. We saw so many beautiful corals, blankets of anenomes, millions of fish (many of which you would not see elsewhere), nudibranchs, and even an octopus! It was like National Geographic under the water!! The shark dive was amazing--definitely a must-do for diving enthusiasts and very safe. Our dive masters Sereli and Big Joe were awesome, making sure to point out all the little critters hiding in the reef so we wouldn't miss anything interesting. In addition to the diving, we took a backcountry hike through the rain forest to a gorgeous waterfall (thank god for Sunia who got us there and back in one piece!), visited a Fijian village (the children were wonderful--I wish I had known to bring them something nice like some coloring books and crayons because it means the WORLD to them!), and toured the cultural center in Pacific Harbor.We also took advantage of the "deluxe deserted island day"--basically the staff takes you by boat to Storm Island, which is about 15 minutes by boat from the resort, and they drop you off with an umbrella, chairs, picnic lunch, cushions, and a 2-way radio to call when you want to come back. We each got a half hour massage in the morning before they left and another half hour when they came back to pick us up. It felt absolutely decadent to have a massage on the beach and then have an entire island to ourselves for the day!
The food at Lalati is in a word, amazing. Each meal was delicious and beautifully presented, from the fresh tropical fruit and muffins for breakfast each day to the gourmet dinners and delicious desserts afterwards. I still miss the coconut ice cream and especially the fresh fruit every morning!
For our honeymoon, we really wanted to experience something unique and unforgettable. If you are looking for "resort-type" accomodations with lots of people, very modern amenities, and nightlife, Lalati will seem very quiet and quite isolated. However, this is exactly what we were looking for in a honeymoon destination--we wanted a quiet, VERY romantic spot to relax and forget about the rest of the world while we experienced truly personalized service and some genuine Fijian island culture. Lalati fulfilled every one of our hopes for a truly unique and absolutely unforgettable honeymoon.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Suva
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!