“Beautiful Island Great Snorkeling”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
San Anselmo, California
“Beautiful Island Great Snorkeling”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 days at Lalati. The setting is beautiful, green and lush. The surrounding reef is abundant with gorgeous coral and fish. The visibility was great most of the time we were there. We loved using they Kayaks to get to a neighboring beach and to visit Bat Island. Our villa was lovely and we particularly enjoyed sitting on the large veranda looking out at the water and enjoying the quiet time to read and relax. The staff and managers were always attentive, friendly and helpful. The food was good and creative. All in all a wonderful experience. We loved Fiji and the Fijian people.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suzanne D
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
BULA and VINAKA for the lovely words. Lalati Resort & Spa is quite lush and green - in fact, the name "Lalati" means "green wall." You also expressed well the beautiful coral gardens that surround us on all sides of the bay and lagoon. It is truly a snorkeler's paradise. There are so many colors that it's almost a sensory overload!

We hope you return again in the future, and stay a bit longer to take in even more of what Lalati has to offer. We'd love to see you here again!

Susan, Marketing Director.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Lalati is a fantastic resort and ticks all the boxes, with something for everyone. Relaxing, spacious with well-trained staff and experienced management with an eye for detail and personalized service provide a superb resort experience. Lalati is in a great location, just a short 30 minute boat ride from the mainland, with access to plenty of great tours and activities. There's also plenty to do and see on-site. However, the resort is also just far enough away so that you feel as though you are in your own, remote little piece of paradise! A unique resort and memorable experience. I would definitely stay longer next time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank F5454Mark
Lalatiowners, Front Office Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
So happy we "ticked all your boxes" on your trip to Lalati Resort & Spa. It's important to share this with your booking agent, or with the booking staff at any resort. This is a sure way to get the best out of your vacation in Fiji, and to make sure that you have selected the resort that will best accomplish that goal.

Glad you got to participate in some of the great activities we have on offer. We always felt we had the best location - so remote, yet so near. Remote enough to feel like you are totally removed from the rest of the world. Yet just a 20-30 minute boat ride away from the "Adventure Capital of Fiji." Kind of like the best of both worlds.

Do come and visit us again - and stay longer. We have lots of surprises for our returnees!
Palm Beach, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We recently spent a great week at this wonderful resort. The staff were fantastic and the managers, Mark & Sue, were so helpful and careing.
We met some great people there and will always remember the greeting the local children gave us when we visited their village to attend the Sunday church service! The choir was fantastic too. If you are looking to chill this is the place and happy hour with different cocktails each nite is great too!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GeoffAussie
After a hectic life "in the city" - it's nice to find an oasis from the hustle and bustle. And we are glad you found Lalati Resort was the place to "relax and chill out." We encourage people not to overschedule their holiday. By leaving your itinerary flexible, you are open to magical moments - a surprise dolphin encounter, a last minute trip to see migrating whales, an unscheduled rugby match between rival villages. Or even, that snooze in a hammock, swaying in the tropical breezes.

We hope you returned home truly rejuvenated. Please let us know when you need to recharge again. We'll be here!
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent a lovely week at Lalati Resort just before Christmas. It is a perfect resort if you're looking for somewhere quiet with personal service and authentic touches. If you're looking for a large western resort, you'll likely be happier sticking to a resort on the main island. The jungles are extremely green and lush, and there's a reason for that. I was extremely lucky; I had blue skies during most of my trip. However, when there was rain, it was intense!

Getting to the resort couldn't have been any easier. A driver met me on the far side of the baggage carousels at the Nadi airport and delivered me directly to the dock where the resort boat picked me up. The driver was very friendly and kind enough to provide me with an introduction to Fijian history and to answer my questions regarding the local flora and fauna. He made the 2.5 h drive go by extremely quickly. Plus, the scenery is beautiful!

The bures are large with high ceilings and very consistent with the price point. All of the beam joints are bound using dyed coconut fibres, giving the buildings a traditional feel - even if they are built to modern standards. The resort staff decorates with fresh flowers from the resort property, which is a nice touch.

I found the food at the resort excellent; I was lucky enough to arrive in time for Monday curry night. Every morning at breakfast, you're presented with a menu with three options for lunch and dinner. I'm vegetarian, and although there is only one vegetarian option, I enjoyed every meal. The veggie strudel was particularly good. There is a hot breakfast every morning, but I stuck to the fresh fruit (some from resort grounds) and muffins.

The spa is basic, but I think that it is good value. I ended up with a bit of a sunburn, and the wrap and facial that Mere gave me soothed my skin.

I had the pleasure of going out on two activities with Nellie: the waterfall hike and a snorkel. The waterfall hike was well worth braving the heat and humidity for, and I enjoyed the views along the way as much as the waterfall itself. The snorkel site had a wide variety of corals and reef fish, and Nellie even pointed out a hawksbill turtle. That was one of the trip highlights! I also put the brand new SUP to good use; there is a beautiful reef across the water from the resort.

Jessiah and Sabine, who run the dive shop and activities, are both a lot of fun to spend time with at happy hour. Sabine took me for a pool dive and is one of the most patient people that I have ever met. Even though I'm not a diver, you could see how much pride they took in providing people with dives that suited their level and interests. Sue and Mark, the general mangers, both go a long way out of their way to ensure that every guest's needs are met. The remainder of the staff is super friendly and very kind.

In short, I would highly recommend this resort to people who are looking for some time to unwind in a casual setting surrounded by beautiful scenery and great staff.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend upgrading from a cottages to a villa.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank NorthVanLara
Thank you so much for your kind words and lovely review. We are happy you chose Lalati Resort & Spa as your Fiji getaway. And it makes us even more happy that we met your expectations.

The activities are great, as is the peaceful setting. You summed it up as a "casual resort" and we agree - I like to call it "casually elegant."

I hope you had the opportunity to wake up early and enjoy the brilliant tropical sunrises. It's a "must do" at least once during your trip. It's one of our most photogenic features.

As I tell all past guests of Lalati - be sure to contact me if you want to return. We have surprises for our Lalati returnees!

Isa Lei!

Susan, Marketing Director
Sydney
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Lalati is the best of 16 resorts visited in Fiji over the years. We only had 4 nights at Lalati and wish we could have had a few more. The Bure was fantastic, close to the water with a large deck, very spacious and had all you would want. Choose a bure close to the bar and restaurant.
On arrival to the resort we were greeted by the traditional Fijian welcome of song and coconut drink, followed by a foot wash and massage. The resort management and employees all were extremely friendly and helpful
The restaurant is all inclusive in the price and meals were all good but nothing exceptional. Happy hour was a great time to get to know the other guests. Sue, Sabine and Mark were always around and made everyone feel welcome. They ensured we were always comfortable and being looked after.
The spa is well set up and you should take the opportunity to have one of the many treatments available. I had a very relaxing wrap from head to toe.
All the staff are very friendly and helpful and will advise you on activities to do, and there are many, some complimentary and others paid. You choose as much or as little as you want to do.
We completed 3 boat snorkels and on one day the coral and fish life was the best I have seen anywhere in FIJI. We were accompanied with one of the divers to ensure we saw all the reef and they pointed out many things that we may have missed. We had our own gear but the resort can supply you with everything you need.
We found the Lalati resort a place where you can really get away and chill out in a beautiful setting that provides a special touch of service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GregBellaVista
That is absolutely phenomenal - that you consider Lalati Resort as one of the best out of 16 resorts you've personally visited in Fiji! We couldn't ask for a better commendation! We are also quite happy that you rated the snorkeling as the best you've done in Fiji. The best snorkeling in Fiji? We'd have to agree!

Sorry you only stayed for 4 days - be sure to think of us next time you plan a trip to the islands. We'll come up with something super special for you.

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts, and we are so pleased that we were able to make your stay the best it could be!
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This resort advertises gourmet cuisine however there was no menu and you were only offered one of two choices.The food was the same quality and quantity as a backpacker resort but three times the cost.
the owners seem to want to have a western theme hotel located in fiji. they dont have any fijian cultural items such as cultural dancers,music or decor which visitors travel to fiji to see.
the opportunities for activities is limited. If you are even mildly active, you will be bored.
This hotel dropped the ball with me. I was on my honeymoon.Upon arrival, they asked if I had any special food preferences and I informed them that I only ate fish and chicken. 2 days later, at lunch my selection for dinner was recorded. It was christmas day and everyone was served and finished eating by the time they brought out my chicken (they had forgotten and attempted to give me steak). I watched everyone including my husband eat while i sat there, I informed the owner and was looking for service recovery. She said "we are doing the best we can". I think for the price of this place that giving excusing for poor customer service was unacceptable. I told her that giving a bottle of champagne would be service recovery. I could have asked for a nights refund. She acknowledged my request. At the end of the meal she walked over to the table and I thought for sure that she would offer something- she did- my final checkout bill for the following day.
Summary- poor service, poor management, lack of activities .ect. I would not return or recommend this place.

Room Tip: dont go to this place
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Deborah C
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
We are so sorry that your short, 3 day honeymoon with us was not what you anticipated.

As with many remote outer island resorts, we offer a revolving 14 day menu. You are correct - you choose one of 3 items (one is a vegetarian item). I would say that you are quite off if you consider our cuisine "backpacker quality" and obviously you haven't spent much time at any backpacker resorts in Fiji. I'm quite sure you won't find a steak and lobster dinner for Christmas at any of them! Nor hot chocolate soufflés, crepes, pork loin with apple confit, fresh wahoo with a cilantro lemon slurry ... well, you get the point!

As far as activities, I am surprised that you were bored over your 3 days with us. We have kayaks and guides just waiting to take you out to the reefs, to paddle around the bay, even for a full day kayak and picnic. Our boats are always ready for snorkelers to see the wonders that lay beneath the surface of Beqa Lagoon. You could have hiked with our guides to the top of the peak for amazing views of islands and seas, or taken a trip by boat to our local village for a tour, and a hike to a beautiful waterfall. You could have hopped aboard an SUP and paddled into the bay, water skied, wake boarded or taken a fun "tube" ride.

You might have tried your hand at fishing the Traditional Fijian way, or even done a bit of deep sea fishing and brought in your "catch of the day." And you could have easily joined the other Christmas guests on a very enjoyable Happy Hour Bay Cruise, free of charge, with rum punch and canapés but you opted out of that as well.

We all apologize that you were served later than your husband. But please recall that you were served halfway through his meal, and you both enjoyed desserts together. I know that's not what you had in mind, and it was definitely the kitchen's fault for serving you our surf and turf Christmas special. Since everyone in the house ordered it, they dropped the ball on that one.

Since you told the management that you wanted a bottle of champagne or you would write a poor review on Trip Advisor, management apologized but were reticent to provide you with the champagne. There are two reasons for this ...

1. We never offer any kind of compensation for positive reviews. And likewise, we don't offer compensation to avoid negative reviews. We feel it is not holding with the spirit of Trip Advisor.

2. As you are quite aware, the evening prior to this, your FIjian born husband became so intoxicated during happy hour and so disruptive to the other guests in the restaurant, that the management had to ask you to leave the main building and they served you your dinner in your room. The management was afraid to provide him with additional alcohol.

Do please keep in mind a couple of things... you were given, as a Christmas gift, a free upgrade upon check in. This upgrade was a surprise for you, and had you actually paid for the room you were in, you would have had to pay and ADDITIONAL $620. Which was given to you as a gift, since it was Christmas and your honeymoon. And you also received free room service because of the alcohol issues the previous evening. Plus you had already received a free bottle of champagne, and a fruit tray in your room on your arrival day, and a free welcome cocktail as well.

Again, we are unhappy that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but based on the circumstances, I firmly believe we did as much as we could to make your honeymoon as enjoyable as possible.
Western Mass
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Why Lalati Resort for my summer vacation? Well, I was looking for a part of the world to which I’d never been, off the beaten path (but not too far off that path), a calming place with great weather, peace & quiet but also great diving. Not a hotel tower complex, definitely not a crushing crowd of people, but somewhere where I could kick back, relax, listen to the ocean, maybe from a comfortable hammock. A place that will offer me extraordinary, local food, (prepared by someone else), in between fantastic ocean diving. I am the last word in a small company, so even while vacationing, I need to be “in touch” if necessary, so phone/internet is important as well.
My son has traveled to Fiji a couple of times, and raved about it, so I started researching that area. I found that there were many hotel complexes on the main island of Viti Levu, and Beqa Lagoon on the south side was known for scuba diving, but again, hotel complexes can be found anywhere in the world and not what I was looking for. I scoured the internet, read reviews, searched photos, & dissected websites until I was satisfied.
TripAdvisor comes through again! Lalati Resort offered everything I was looking for. Away from the typical hustle & bustle but internet connected, individual bungalows (each with an inviting hammock, yes!), great regional food, offering great dive excursions led by knowledgeable, competent staff. My decision was made.
I arrived at Nadi International Airport at 5:30 AM, made my way through customs, and was met by my driver who soon became my Fiji historian. The trip along the coast to Pacific Harbour takes a couple of hours, but the education I got regarding the history, culture and traditions of Fiji while enjoying the view, made the time evaporate. We arrived at Pacific Harbour and were met by, and transported to Lalati by the resort boat. Twenty minutes later we arrived at their pier and were serenaded and welcomed in true Fijian style by Lalati staff. And so began my ten days of true relaxing and enjoyment.
My room, actually, my house, was enormous, inviting, and came with a porch, a hammock, and an incredible ocean view. The main room included a couch chair and coffee table sitting area as well as an extremely comfortable bed. There was an additional bedroom joined to the main by double doors, with its’ own entrance as well as private door to the full bath. I ended up not spending a whole lot of time in my “bure” unless I was sleeping, or napping on the porch in the hammock, but I imagine couples would find it an excellent retreat.
The main Resort building is enclosed on three sides, open to the bay. All meals were served there as well as some of the activities & instruction. In front, a well-stocked bar and a long counter & stools are situated above a seating area with comfortable chairs, facing the bay. All to entice you into relaxing, and a perfect location for meeting the other guests, while dining, snacking or imbibing, after a day of diving, kayaking, snorkeling or whatever.
The resort boasts the Totoka Nui Spa, an infinity pool & Jacuzzi surrounded by a beautiful deck, all overlooking a white sand beach/volleyball court with the lagoon beyond. I’m not one for sunbathing, but I did have an extremely relaxing massage, my first, and I now understand the draw.
My diving, previously limited to the Caribbean, I was overwhelmed with the dive sites around Beqa Island. It was like diving in an aquarium! Soft corals, hard corals, fish species of every description at every dive site. Spectacular doesn’t fully cover it! I topped the week off with a two tank shark dive, my first, but not my last! Grey reefs, silver tips, nurse, lemon and huge bulls. The Blue Starfish Dive Centre managers, Sabine & Josiah, are extraordinary dive instructors and leaders. They can locate the smallest Sea Spider, vibrant Nudibranch or camouflaged Cephalopod! Their familiarity with the numerous dive sites, knowledge of the species that live there and their excitement in sharing it all with you confirms their abilities as well as their passion for their work. Sabine , an accomplished photographer, documents many of the dive discoveries. In fact, a week after I left, as I visit the dive center’s face book page (Blue Starfish Dive Centre) I’m looking at pics of a tiger shark that dropped in on the shark dive, in my absence, as well as a humpback whale, with calf, that visited the area. Damn, timing is everything!
While I spent most of my quality time diving or swaying in my hammock, the other guests (4 couples) were newlyweds. While one couple elected to get open water diving certified during part of their stay, the others enjoyed snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, visiting one of the local villages or disappearing back to their bure? (who knows, it’s been a while for me) My point is, relaxing, enjoying your surroundings, general chillin, takes many forms at Lalati Resort!
Now , no matter how great the surroundings, a resort is only as great as the staff that greets you, serves you, indulges you, educates you and generally makes you feel like you are the most important person in that time & space. Lalati staff fills the bill, effortlessly. From the welcome serenade at the dock, to the constant “Bula!” greeting, accompanied by a genuine smile & wave. The grounds men who keep the landscaping impeccable, the wait staff who warm smile greets you at each meal, the activities staff who outfit & guide you, all the locals, especially the children, who meet you along the paths, smile first, wave and “Bula”!
Leadership is key in any successful organization. Leadership at Lalati is openly evident since the general managers Mark & Sue, and the activities/dive shop managers Josiah & Sabine, work right along with staff in ensuring your experience is the best. Whether its mealtime, group activities or happy hour, they are always engaging the guests, checking on their needs and sharing in their day’s events. It’s memorable because it’s so casual. They aren’t going thru the motions, they really want to know!
Needless to say, I had a fantastic time & I will definitely return, absolutely!
My thanks to all, too numerous to name, Vinaka vaka levu!

Room Tip: The ocean front Villas are steps from the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank kosmac
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
So happy you found your paradise, at our paradise!

What a lovely review and we are so appreciative that you took the time to write this long and glowing review. About your timing? You are right, timing is everything, and that just means you will have to "time" your next visit to Lalati Resort so that you can catch site of our migrating humpback whales and tigers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beqa Island
#1 of 13 in Suva
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!