“Casual Resort with Great Staff”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent a lovely week at Lalati Resort just before Christmas. It is a perfect resort if you're looking for somewhere quiet with personal service and authentic touches. If you're looking for a large western resort, you'll likely be happier sticking to a resort on the main island. The jungles are extremely green and lush, and there's a reason for that. I was extremely lucky; I had blue skies during most of my trip. However, when there was rain, it was intense!

Getting to the resort couldn't have been any easier. A driver met me on the far side of the baggage carousels at the Nadi airport and delivered me directly to the dock where the resort boat picked me up. The driver was very friendly and kind enough to provide me with an introduction to Fijian history and to answer my questions regarding the local flora and fauna. He made the 2.5 h drive go by extremely quickly. Plus, the scenery is beautiful!

The bures are large with high ceilings and very consistent with the price point. All of the beam joints are bound using dyed coconut fibres, giving the buildings a traditional feel - even if they are built to modern standards. The resort staff decorates with fresh flowers from the resort property, which is a nice touch.

I found the food at the resort excellent; I was lucky enough to arrive in time for Monday curry night. Every morning at breakfast, you're presented with a menu with three options for lunch and dinner. I'm vegetarian, and although there is only one vegetarian option, I enjoyed every meal. The veggie strudel was particularly good. There is a hot breakfast every morning, but I stuck to the fresh fruit (some from resort grounds) and muffins.

The spa is basic, but I think that it is good value. I ended up with a bit of a sunburn, and the wrap and facial that Mere gave me soothed my skin.

I had the pleasure of going out on two activities with Nellie: the waterfall hike and a snorkel. The waterfall hike was well worth braving the heat and humidity for, and I enjoyed the views along the way as much as the waterfall itself. The snorkel site had a wide variety of corals and reef fish, and Nellie even pointed out a hawksbill turtle. That was one of the trip highlights! I also put the brand new SUP to good use; there is a beautiful reef across the water from the resort.

Jessiah and Sabine, who run the dive shop and activities, are both a lot of fun to spend time with at happy hour. Sabine took me for a pool dive and is one of the most patient people that I have ever met. Even though I'm not a diver, you could see how much pride they took in providing people with dives that suited their level and interests. Sue and Mark, the general mangers, both go a long way out of their way to ensure that every guest's needs are met. The remainder of the staff is super friendly and very kind.

In short, I would highly recommend this resort to people who are looking for some time to unwind in a casual setting surrounded by beautiful scenery and great staff.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend upgrading from a cottages to a villa.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank NorthVanLara
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and lovely review. We are happy you chose Lalati Resort & Spa as your Fiji getaway. And it makes us even more happy that we met your expectations.

The activities are great, as is the peaceful setting. You summed it up as a "casual resort" and we agree - I like to call it "casually elegant."

I hope you had the opportunity to wake up early and enjoy the brilliant tropical sunrises. It's a "must do" at least once during your trip. It's one of our most photogenic features.

As I tell all past guests of Lalati - be sure to contact me if you want to return. We have surprises for our Lalati returnees!

Isa Lei!

Susan, Marketing Director

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Lalati is the best of 16 resorts visited in Fiji over the years. We only had 4 nights at Lalati and wish we could have had a few more. The Bure was fantastic, close to the water with a large deck, very spacious and had all you would want. Choose a bure close to the bar and restaurant.
On arrival to the resort we were greeted by the traditional Fijian welcome of song and coconut drink, followed by a foot wash and massage. The resort management and employees all were extremely friendly and helpful
The restaurant is all inclusive in the price and meals were all good but nothing exceptional. Happy hour was a great time to get to know the other guests. Sue, Sabine and Mark were always around and made everyone feel welcome. They ensured we were always comfortable and being looked after.
The spa is well set up and you should take the opportunity to have one of the many treatments available. I had a very relaxing wrap from head to toe.
All the staff are very friendly and helpful and will advise you on activities to do, and there are many, some complimentary and others paid. You choose as much or as little as you want to do.
We completed 3 boat snorkels and on one day the coral and fish life was the best I have seen anywhere in FIJI. We were accompanied with one of the divers to ensure we saw all the reef and they pointed out many things that we may have missed. We had our own gear but the resort can supply you with everything you need.
We found the Lalati resort a place where you can really get away and chill out in a beautiful setting that provides a special touch of service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GregBellaVista

That is absolutely phenomenal - that you consider Lalati Resort as one of the best out of 16 resorts you've personally visited in Fiji! We couldn't ask for a better commendation! We are also quite happy that you rated the snorkeling as the best you've done in Fiji. The best snorkeling in Fiji? We'd have to agree!

Sorry you only stayed for 4 days - be sure to think of us next time you plan a trip to the islands. We'll come up with something super special for you.

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts, and we are so pleased that we were able to make your stay the best it could be!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This resort advertises gourmet cuisine however there was no menu and you were only offered one of two choices.The food was the same quality and quantity as a backpacker resort but three times the cost.
the owners seem to want to have a western theme hotel located in fiji. they dont have any fijian cultural items such as cultural dancers,music or decor which visitors travel to fiji to see.
the opportunities for activities is limited. If you are even mildly active, you will be bored.
This hotel dropped the ball with me. I was on my honeymoon.Upon arrival, they asked if I had any special food preferences and I informed them that I only ate fish and chicken. 2 days later, at lunch my selection for dinner was recorded. It was christmas day and everyone was served and finished eating by the time they brought out my chicken (they had forgotten and attempted to give me steak). I watched everyone including my husband eat while i sat there, I informed the owner and was looking for service recovery. She said "we are doing the best we can". I think for the price of this place that giving excusing for poor customer service was unacceptable. I told her that giving a bottle of champagne would be service recovery. I could have asked for a nights refund. She acknowledged my request. At the end of the meal she walked over to the table and I thought for sure that she would offer something- she did- my final checkout bill for the following day.
Summary- poor service, poor management, lack of activities .ect. I would not return or recommend this place.

Room Tip: dont go to this place
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Deborah C
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

We are so sorry that your short, 3 day honeymoon with us was not what you anticipated.

As with many remote outer island resorts, we offer a revolving 14 day menu. You are correct - you choose one of 3 items (one is a vegetarian item). I would say that you are quite off if you consider our cuisine "backpacker quality" and obviously you haven't spent much time at any backpacker resorts in Fiji. I'm quite sure you won't find a steak and lobster dinner for Christmas at any of them! Nor hot chocolate soufflés, crepes, pork loin with apple confit, fresh wahoo with a cilantro lemon slurry ... well, you get the point!

As far as activities, I am surprised that you were bored over your 3 days with us. We have kayaks and guides just waiting to take you out to the reefs, to paddle around the bay, even for a full day kayak and picnic. Our boats are always ready for snorkelers to see the wonders that lay beneath the surface of Beqa Lagoon. You could have hiked with our guides to the top of the peak for amazing views of islands and seas, or taken a trip by boat to our local village for a tour, and a hike to a beautiful waterfall. You could have hopped aboard an SUP and paddled into the bay, water skied, wake boarded or taken a fun "tube" ride.

You might have tried your hand at fishing the Traditional Fijian way, or even done a bit of deep sea fishing and brought in your "catch of the day." And you could have easily joined the other Christmas guests on a very enjoyable Happy Hour Bay Cruise, free of charge, with rum punch and canapés but you opted out of that as well.

We all apologize that you were served later than your husband. But please recall that you were served halfway through his meal, and you both enjoyed desserts together. I know that's not what you had in mind, and it was definitely the kitchen's fault for serving you our surf and turf Christmas special. Since everyone in the house ordered it, they dropped the ball on that one.

Since you told the management that you wanted a bottle of champagne or you would write a poor review on Trip Advisor, management apologized but were reticent to provide you with the champagne. There are two reasons for this ...

1. We never offer any kind of compensation for positive reviews. And likewise, we don't offer compensation to avoid negative reviews. We feel it is not holding with the spirit of Trip Advisor.

2. As you are quite aware, the evening prior to this, your FIjian born husband became so intoxicated during happy hour and so disruptive to the other guests in the restaurant, that the management had to ask you to leave the main building and they served you your dinner in your room. The management was afraid to provide him with additional alcohol.

Do please keep in mind a couple of things... you were given, as a Christmas gift, a free upgrade upon check in. This upgrade was a surprise for you, and had you actually paid for the room you were in, you would have had to pay and ADDITIONAL $620. Which was given to you as a gift, since it was Christmas and your honeymoon. And you also received free room service because of the alcohol issues the previous evening. Plus you had already received a free bottle of champagne, and a fruit tray in your room on your arrival day, and a free welcome cocktail as well.

Again, we are unhappy that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but based on the circumstances, I firmly believe we did as much as we could to make your honeymoon as enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Why Lalati Resort for my summer vacation? Well, I was looking for a part of the world to which I’d never been, off the beaten path (but not too far off that path), a calming place with great weather, peace & quiet but also great diving. Not a hotel tower complex, definitely not a crushing crowd of people, but somewhere where I could kick back, relax, listen to the ocean, maybe from a comfortable hammock. A place that will offer me extraordinary, local food, (prepared by someone else), in between fantastic ocean diving. I am the last word in a small company, so even while vacationing, I need to be “in touch” if necessary, so phone/internet is important as well.
My son has traveled to Fiji a couple of times, and raved about it, so I started researching that area. I found that there were many hotel complexes on the main island of Viti Levu, and Beqa Lagoon on the south side was known for scuba diving, but again, hotel complexes can be found anywhere in the world and not what I was looking for. I scoured the internet, read reviews, searched photos, & dissected websites until I was satisfied.
TripAdvisor comes through again! Lalati Resort offered everything I was looking for. Away from the typical hustle & bustle but internet connected, individual bungalows (each with an inviting hammock, yes!), great regional food, offering great dive excursions led by knowledgeable, competent staff. My decision was made.
I arrived at Nadi International Airport at 5:30 AM, made my way through customs, and was met by my driver who soon became my Fiji historian. The trip along the coast to Pacific Harbour takes a couple of hours, but the education I got regarding the history, culture and traditions of Fiji while enjoying the view, made the time evaporate. We arrived at Pacific Harbour and were met by, and transported to Lalati by the resort boat. Twenty minutes later we arrived at their pier and were serenaded and welcomed in true Fijian style by Lalati staff. And so began my ten days of true relaxing and enjoyment.
My room, actually, my house, was enormous, inviting, and came with a porch, a hammock, and an incredible ocean view. The main room included a couch chair and coffee table sitting area as well as an extremely comfortable bed. There was an additional bedroom joined to the main by double doors, with its’ own entrance as well as private door to the full bath. I ended up not spending a whole lot of time in my “bure” unless I was sleeping, or napping on the porch in the hammock, but I imagine couples would find it an excellent retreat.
The main Resort building is enclosed on three sides, open to the bay. All meals were served there as well as some of the activities & instruction. In front, a well-stocked bar and a long counter & stools are situated above a seating area with comfortable chairs, facing the bay. All to entice you into relaxing, and a perfect location for meeting the other guests, while dining, snacking or imbibing, after a day of diving, kayaking, snorkeling or whatever.
The resort boasts the Totoka Nui Spa, an infinity pool & Jacuzzi surrounded by a beautiful deck, all overlooking a white sand beach/volleyball court with the lagoon beyond. I’m not one for sunbathing, but I did have an extremely relaxing massage, my first, and I now understand the draw.
My diving, previously limited to the Caribbean, I was overwhelmed with the dive sites around Beqa Island. It was like diving in an aquarium! Soft corals, hard corals, fish species of every description at every dive site. Spectacular doesn’t fully cover it! I topped the week off with a two tank shark dive, my first, but not my last! Grey reefs, silver tips, nurse, lemon and huge bulls. The Blue Starfish Dive Centre managers, Sabine & Josiah, are extraordinary dive instructors and leaders. They can locate the smallest Sea Spider, vibrant Nudibranch or camouflaged Cephalopod! Their familiarity with the numerous dive sites, knowledge of the species that live there and their excitement in sharing it all with you confirms their abilities as well as their passion for their work. Sabine , an accomplished photographer, documents many of the dive discoveries. In fact, a week after I left, as I visit the dive center’s face book page (Blue Starfish Dive Centre) I’m looking at pics of a tiger shark that dropped in on the shark dive, in my absence, as well as a humpback whale, with calf, that visited the area. Damn, timing is everything!
While I spent most of my quality time diving or swaying in my hammock, the other guests (4 couples) were newlyweds. While one couple elected to get open water diving certified during part of their stay, the others enjoyed snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, visiting one of the local villages or disappearing back to their bure? (who knows, it’s been a while for me) My point is, relaxing, enjoying your surroundings, general chillin, takes many forms at Lalati Resort!
Now , no matter how great the surroundings, a resort is only as great as the staff that greets you, serves you, indulges you, educates you and generally makes you feel like you are the most important person in that time & space. Lalati staff fills the bill, effortlessly. From the welcome serenade at the dock, to the constant “Bula!” greeting, accompanied by a genuine smile & wave. The grounds men who keep the landscaping impeccable, the wait staff who warm smile greets you at each meal, the activities staff who outfit & guide you, all the locals, especially the children, who meet you along the paths, smile first, wave and “Bula”!
Leadership is key in any successful organization. Leadership at Lalati is openly evident since the general managers Mark & Sue, and the activities/dive shop managers Josiah & Sabine, work right along with staff in ensuring your experience is the best. Whether its mealtime, group activities or happy hour, they are always engaging the guests, checking on their needs and sharing in their day’s events. It’s memorable because it’s so casual. They aren’t going thru the motions, they really want to know!
Needless to say, I had a fantastic time & I will definitely return, absolutely!
My thanks to all, too numerous to name, Vinaka vaka levu!

Room Tip: The ocean front Villas are steps from the water.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank kosmac
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

So happy you found your paradise, at our paradise!

What a lovely review and we are so appreciative that you took the time to write this long and glowing review. About your timing? You are right, timing is everything, and that just means you will have to "time" your next visit to Lalati Resort so that you can catch site of our migrating humpback whales and tigers!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I enjoy tropical island getaways and on our recent trip to fiji I booked us several nights with Lalati to break up our trip. Beqa Island is known for its amazing diving and scenery being a remote island down south of Nadi some 3hrs by car and an additional boat ride across and could not have been more disappointed.

Upon arrival at the end of the jetty is an absolute eyesore a huge pile of bricks which have attempted to be hidden behind some shade cloth and a half finished building as part of the activities office.

Our honeymoon bure was nothing like pictured on the website, no additional tables and chairs, mix matched furniture – outside table setting was a old cast iron glass top table and chairs, our outside patio area had no candles, no thatched roof and a dated above ground spa. The design and theme did not fit in, if it were to be traditional Fijian then stick to all natural building materials and thatched roofs instead the use of corrugated plastic roofs, raw unfinished permapine made the villas feel like a beach shack rather than a luxurious villa. Although spacious the villas lacked any moderns comforts – no aircon, no flat screen tv, no digital tv, no phone to call reception and the mosquitoes were horrendous I could not get any relief being attacked day and night relentlessly.

The same can be said about the rest of the resort, everything was in poor condition run down and worn out…the spa area was weathered, the pool was tiny and another dated above ground spa….nothing like the pictures depicted on the website which were carefully angled and must have been taken when the resort was first built.

The website also depicts nice white sandy beach where infact… it is nothing but mud rocks and rubbish….travelling the distance that we did I would at least expect the resort to be in pristine condition yet there was rubbish littered along the beach in front of the main bar all the way along to the new villa construction and along the mangroves to the other side near the village.

After speaking to the managers they simply said they were still trying to maintain up keep of the resort after cyclones hit etc. All well and good but not while guests are present and then it should be advised to guests that this is what is being done and rates should be discounted.

The resort package is overpriced given the facilities are rather backpackerish, limited activities (or at cost) and you cant really walk any where as you are surrounded by mountain and muddy mangroves, not the luxury holiday we were seeking.

In the end we only stayed one night before making arrangements to leave and return to the mainland, a decision not lightly made as the managers would not give us any concession or refund. The island of Beqa itself is an amazing remote wilderness it is just a shame about the resort which needs a major overhaul.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Nam V

So sorry you were disappointed in your stay. We so strive to exceed our guest expectations, so it saddens us when someone was not thrilled with their getaway.

You had booked a minimum of 3 nights stay, and I wish you would have stayed the full 3 nights instead of leaving within 24 hours of arriving. You had mentioned that you came from the Westin, and loved it there, and our resort was "nothing like the Westin." And you are absolutely correct. Had I known that you were looking for a "Sheraton-type experience" prior to booking your stay, I would have recommended you stay on the main island. We are definitely not a Sheraton or Westin. We are definitely a remote outer island resort offering an authentic Fijian experience - from the décor to the activities to the staff. We are a small and intimate boutique resort - not a large corporate chain. So I am sure that is why you were disappointed when you arrived.

It is equally important to all potential guests traveling to the Fijian islands to make sure you tell your booking agent what you are looking for in a holiday. If you are interested in a true island experience, with snorkeling on reefs right out front of your door, kayaking in a bay, getting to know local villagers, and you are booked into a large chain on the main island, you will be grossly disappointed. And conversely, if you are a Hilton type traveler, being on an outer island is not something you would enjoy.

As was explained to you, the bricks at the side of the building were needed to build a sea wall to protect the fragile environment from erosion. When you own and operate a resort in the tropics, there is always maintenance to tend to. The building you spoke of being "half finished" was not half finished. It is our activities bure, and it was getting a fresh coat of paint.

As to the honeymoon suite décor - our furnishings are not bought at big chain western-style furniture stores. They are crafted of local Fijian coconut palmwood, or tropical rattan. Using all natural materials. They are not purchased as matching sets, rather a mix of tropical furnishings that match, but are not matched sets.

Whilst thatched roofs are quite lovely, we opted, because of our locale, to use roofing material that is considered "food grade." It is definitely not corrugated tin. But of a material that allows us to catch pure rainwater. We opted for a more ecological approach. Outside your villa is a hammock, two reclined "Adirondack" style chairs with cushions, and the wrought iron table and chairs - not just the table and chairs.

With the myriad of communications that went back and forth between you and our Australian marketing manager, you were told ahead of time that we did not have air conditioning, digital TV or phones. You still booked your stay with us. We are happy to announce that we do have air conditioning now - installed in November, just in time for the summer months.

We do spray consistently for mosquitoes, always have mosquito coils burning in the main building, and there are mosquito inserts in each room that keep the mossies at bay. We also have a lovely local Pure Fiji product in our gift shop - made of lemon grass, which is a great mosquito repellent.

When the owners took over the resort, all hot tubs were in ground. Because of the constant complaints about the warmth of the hot tubs (cement does not hold in the heat) they opted to purchase natural wood above ground Jacuzzis with jets and made of materials that keep the hot water hot. They are new and not dated - but a classic Jacuzzi design.

We do not have rubbish on our beach. I believe you walked down the beach and ended up at the village around the corner from the resort. Our staff is constantly raking the beach area out front every single day. The rubbish by the village is not something we have control of.

We do have a lovely light sand beach in front of the resort, as all beaches in the area of Fiji are tidal. This creates a nice respite to lay back and enjoy a tropical drink or smoothie. If you were looking for a longer stretch of beach, I'm sure the activities staff told you that you could grab a kayak and paddle a very short distance to one of two beaches we have for guests. But since you only stayed less than a full day, you may not have been aware of that.

You also must have misunderstood the managers. We were certainly not hit by a cyclone! Since you arrived and immediately wanted to leave, the managers made many attempts at offering you different proposals to help make your short stay enjoyable. Mark our General Manager went to your room and offered you a free deep sea fishing trip. You turned them all down, and your wife attributed it to her "pregnancy hormones." In retrospect, a woman in her third trimester would probably be more comfortable in a traditional hotel, instead of a smaller boutique resort on an outer island.

The pictures on our website are pictures taken of the resort. Of the furnishings, of the views, of the food. There was no smoke and mirrors involved. Yes, there were candles out by the courtyard as the shot was taken at dusk. But those same candles are in your room, so you can simply move them out to the spa area for added atmosphere.

The management could not give you a refund on your stay, mainly because you did not pay the resort directly. You booked through an agent, and the agent then pays the resort. Any refunds would have to go to the agent, who would then refund you. However, you were provided with the resort's terms, and since you agreed to those terms, no refunds for unused nights would be given. I'm sure you remember that the resort was fully booked during your stay. And we actually turned guests away during that September. If we had made an error in booking, we would have compensated you. But I feel our excellent managers did their utmost to make you happy, and it was your decision not to stay for an additional two days.

Again, we are sorry that the resort was not a good match for you, and hope the rest of your holiday, at the Westin, was all you hoped it would be.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Following our last trip to Fiji in 2009, we had decided not to return to Fiji again for a holiday. But saw the Lalati package and thought we would give Fiji one more try. So glad we did! We had a lovely 6 nights of relaxation, great food and company.

Sue, Mark and the staff were excellent hosts and the resort was all we could have wished for. As other guests have noted if you want a big resort then Lalati is not the place to go. If you want relaxed, personal and laid back then this is a great place.

We stayed in an ocean front villa - and what more could you want? The villa was spacious, clean, a huge verandah, a hammock plus beautiful sea views...... And the sound of the water lapping.

You can do as much or as little as you want. There are plenty of activities to choose from - snorkelling, kayaking, waterfall treks, volleyball etc. Or you can do nothing but laze on the beach or your verandah. No TV - a bonus! There is paid wi-fi access if you want it.

We don't dive (although other guests who did were full of stories of their experiences at dinner) but did snorkel. The equipment was good quality and the snorkelling, both in front of the resort and on the snorkelling safari, was great. One of the staff took just the 2 of us out one day and we had a wonderful time snorkelling (under his watchful eye) and even saw a shark nursery.

The kava ceremony was a fun night - kava, singing and dancing!

The food was fresh, with good variety and generous portions. The wine selection was good and reasonably priced.

The spa is on par with other spas we have been to in the Pacific region but is not of the same standard as spas in places like Thailand.

The local staff were great - lovely to hear the staff singing in the villa next door as they were cleaning. Also good to see the commitment to preserving the environment.

Thanks to Sue & Mark who were great hosts.
Terry & Michelle

Room Tip: Choose an ocean front villa
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Terry J

BULA!

So happy you gave Fiji one more try, and stayed with us at Lalati Resort & Spa. And we are even more happy that Lalati was what you were hoping for.

Our staff and great management team does all they can to make your experience an authentic and special one, and when we hear back from guests like yourselves, that everything was what you wanted, well, it makes us feel pleased that we are on the right track. And it's special to have you share your holiday with us!

We are extremely grateful that you took the time to share your review with Trip Advisor. We are truly blessed with a warm and wonderful staff, an amazing management team, gorgeous surroundings provided by mother nature, and truly exceptional guests. VINAKA!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Lalati for 7 nights and we really enjoyed our time there. Our main objective for this trip (our honeymoon) was to relax and to disconnect from the normal hustle and bustle of our everyday lives. We went through a travel agency specializing in the south seas that happened to have an office near our home. We met with an agent and she gave us several different ideas but recommended Lalati based on what we were (and what we weren't) looking for and how much we wanted to spend.

We opted to save a little money and reserve one of the Sea View Cottages. We stayed in Sea View Cottage #1 for the first 5 nights and then they moved us (at no charge) to one of the Ocean Front Villas, I think it was #4. The Sea View Cottage was more private than the Ocean Front Villa but the Villa was much nicer. Either way, we didn't spend much time in the room. Who goes to Fiji and stays in their room the entire time? The beds were fine and the bathrooms served their purpose. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER IN YOUR ROOM! They have plenty of 100% clean (and free) drinking water in the bar area. If you got sick, you probably drank the water in your room. They were working on the new cottages and the dive shop during our stay but it didn't bother us at all.

We used the money we saved by staying in a Sea View Cottage on booze and activities. We didn't bring any booze with us but others did. The local beers are relatively cheap and they taste great! Liquor is expensive BECAUSE YOU'RE ON AN ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. There's a duty free shop in the airport. They do a nice little happy hour every day with delicious snacks and the booze is cheaper.

We didn't think the activities were overpriced at all, with the exception of the fire walking ceremony. They asked us what we thought about it and then explained why they have to charge so much for that particular activity. They did throw in a sunset cruise and some rum punch so I'm not complaining. They weren't all that busy while we were there and they let us schedule pretty much whatever we wanted to do whenever we wanted to do it. Sabine took my wife diving for the first time and she really enjoyed it.

The food was good too. They usually had two options for each meal and they managed to feed at least one pescatarian guest (vegetarian that eats fish), one pregnant guest and one gluten intolerant guest while we were there. There were a couple meals I didn't really care for but when you eat at the same place for 24 different meals, you're bound to find something you don't like. I think my wife liked just about everything they served.

We had a great time with the staff and the locals too. The owner (Brad) was there and we chatted with him several times. We also hung out one afternoon and evening with the dive instructors (Sabine and Josiah). We really enjoyed their company and I think they enjoyed ours. The managers were on vacation while we were there so we didn't get to meet them. The rest of the staff are locals and they were really fun too. There may have been some tension between the resort and the locals but I'm confident they'll work it out.

The grounds and the rooms are cleaned daily. We really enjoyed the pool area. There's the occasional sewage smell and you can hear the generators running (quietly) but neither bothered us.

Lalati is not a 5-star resort so don't expect it. The locals are on Fiji Time so don't be in a rush. The weather is hot, humid and unpredictable. There's a chance it could rain the entire time you're there. We were fortunate to have good weather even though it was the beginning of their rainy season. Tipping is not customary but we were really pleased with the staff and chose to leave some cash for their Christmas fund.

Overall, we had a great time and I'd recommend Lalati anytime!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff C

YAY! So happy you had a lovely Lalati experience.

You hit the nail on the head when you spoke to your agent regarding what you were looking for. It is important to communicate to make sure that you tick the right boxes for a honeymoon.

You must return as we now have all our villas and suites air conditioned. And soon we will have new honeymoon villas and our new multi purpose bure (for yoga, and movie nights) online. So check back with your agent and maybe plan a special anniversary trip back to Lalati Resort. Make sure if you do to tell your agent that you want the "super special returnees rate" as we make sure all our Lalati friends get a little something extra.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with other Trip Advisor readers. We'd love to see you again ... Isa Lei!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beqa Island
#1 of 13 in Suva
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!