“Most amazing resort”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at Lalati in September 2013, we had never heard of Beqa island but thought we would give it a go. Best decision we have ever made. Everything was beyond our expectation the managers and staff were absolutely fantastic and made us feel part of the family. The daily happy hour always had a new cocktail and delicious Fijian snacks. The food was phenomenal , always fresh. I'm gluten intolerant and the staff baked fresh bread rolls, and made sure any meals I couldn't have were replaced with something just as delicious.
The snorkelling at the private beach was the best we have ever experienced, but also just out the front of the resort is exceptional.
The day spa is fantastic and the treatments available are extensive and amazing.
You can do as much or as little as you would like on the island.
It was absolutely the best trip we have ever taken and we hope to visit there again one day.
Ben & Steph

Room Tip: Stay in an ocean front villa- spacious and spectacular views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 966Steph30
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

YAY! So happy you selected Lalati Resort & Spa and Beqa Island. That was a giant leap for you - not knowing anything about our remote yet pristine island. And wonderful that you landed in a resort that exceeded your expectations!

The snorkeling trips are indeed phenomenal. So much to see, that you could spend a week and still not even experience half of what there is. I'm always a bit amazed by just slipping on a mask and snorkel and sliding into the water from the resort pier. So close, yet such a variety of colors and life, right outside your door, and free! When I visit Lalati I try to do this every day. Exhilarating!

Happy that your gluten-free options were equal to our regular cuisine offerings. The management works hard on menus for our guests with dietary restrictions, so it pleases us that it all worked out well for you.

Thank you for taking time out to share your opinions, stories and experiences. We all know how busy life becomes when you board that plane for home, and the reality of "civilization." We are so blessed with amazing guests who take a pause to write on Trip Advisor. All the management and staff of Lalati wish you an Isa Lei - which means we will surely meet again!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We recently spent our Honeymoon at Lalati. From the moment we stepped on the dock we began to relax and feel at home. All of the staff were so friendly and accomodating from the outset. Within a couple of days we were all on a first name basis which was a nice personal touch. We soon felt as if we were holidaying with a group of old friends.
The food was beautiful and fresh each day with a good range on the menu. The breadfruit chips and Fijian popcorn are worth the trip as well!
The beauty of Lalati is that you can choose how active you want to be each day. If you like to relax by the beach or in your hammock its a very good place to do it! If you like to snorkel or dive, the marine life is spectacular. We completed our dive certification whilst staying at the resort. Our "Super-coach" dive master was Sabine. Both Sabine and Josiah are passionate about diving and their knowledge of the local species is immense. They really enhanced our whole holiday experience. The mountain trek and the village visit were great activities and a good opportunity to learn more about Fijian customs and history. Thank you to everyone at Lalati for making our honeymoon so memorable. We will see you all again soon. Geoff and Yvette

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pineville05

So happy your trip to Lalati Resort & Spa was all you expected it to be. Our Manager, Sue, wanted me to express our thanks to you for donating the lovely school books about native Australian wildlife to the island school. It was much appreciated and we are sure that the children will be fascinated.

CONGRATULATIONS on completing your dive certification. Now you must return to Lalati on a dive holiday! This certificate is something that will stay with you for life, and I agree, our amazing dive managers make it easy. Once you are a diver, your life is never the same. And the diving at Beqa Lagoon is simply magic. We are so pleased you took the plunge, so to speak.

Thank you for your kind words, and a big Vinaka Vaka Levu for sharing your special honeymoon with us. We are humbled by our wonderful guests, who allow us to be a part of their lives, if only for a brief period of time.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was my first trip to Fiji so we went through an travel agent we wanted a true Fiji dive and travel experience ,lalati resort &spa was that and more I don't know if I can convey how much we loved the resort but I will try. When you get picked up by the boat for the trip to the island we were met by one off the general managers (sue) who put us at ease write away after such a long journey, the ride over by boat was beautiful we were met at the dock by some of the staff who were sing a welcome song for us .the staff is amazing everyone from the cooks to the grounds keepers were friendly ,the food was amazing the grounds were beautiful and clean ,,the villas were way better than expected (new mattresses on the beds are even better than my temperpedic at home ) . The dive staff was great they did a discover scuba class with my wife and had just finished an open water class with some other guests the dives were amazing (sabine ) was very knowledgeable about the sites and sea life and very enthusiastic about the dives . In the after noon they beat the drum in the dining room to signal the start of happy hour ,there are scheduled games and events for everyone and the entire staff is so personable. I could go on and on .we don't normally plan repeat trips because there is so much of the world to see but my wife and started talking about a return family trip before we even left ,you feel like you are truly on vacation with people that really care. The resort is smaller its not a mega resort so you get to know everyone, there are no roads on this island so its very quiet and peaceful and the views are amazing .im not sure if this helps your decision all I can say is its a true assessment of our trip and (WE ARE GOING BACK ).....Frank Seattle Wa.

Room Tip: it takes a long time to get to Fiji from the usa but well worth the trip.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank woodysuperbee

BULA and VINAKA! So happy you loved Lalati Resort & Spa. And do let us know when you want to return. Let your travel agent know you are returnees - we always like to add an additional Wow Factor for friends of Lalati!

I'm also personally pleased with your mention of the mattresses. When we went to replace the mattresses in the resort, we traveled from store to store literally laying on hundreds of mattresses to find the perfect fit. The ones we selected felt so good that we bought one for ourselves! They are like slipping into a cloud! Plus the sounds of the sea lapping at the shore when you nod off each night certainly helps with the whole sleep ambiance!

We always post all our reviews on the staff bulletin board. This helps staff know where improvement is needed, and also gives them the much appreciated kudos when they're rewarded for their job well done. Your review brought many wide smiles to the faces of our precious native staff. VINAKA for your time and sharing your dive holiday with us. We will wait for you to return, to treat you once again to a Lalati experience!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went to this resort because we were traveling with a non-diver. This resort had both diving as well as land based activities. It turned out to be a good decision. Some of the guests at the resort were not even divers. Therefore we had a very small group going out on the boat each day. The dive operation was top notch. The couple that runs the diving are American transplants. Sabine, who we dove with most days was incredible. She seemed to know every fish. Our non-diver was interested in trying diving. Sabine did discover scuba with her and then let her dive with us a couple times. She took such good care of her and she had a great time. I think we with soon have a new certified diver!

The beds were comfortable. My husband has a great deal of difficulty with most hotel beds. He slept more soundly here than he did at home.

The food was wonderful. The staff was very friendly. It is a small resort and you get to know the staff on a personal level. The views are great. We actually got the cheaper sea view cottage. I was a bit worried because their website did not have many pictures of the sea view accomidation. It was perfectly lovely though with a view of the ocean through the palms and it backed up against the jungle.

I was also worried about the lack of AC. Due to the comfortable climate and the breeze this was not an issue. I actually had to turn the ceiling fan down the first night because I was a bit cold.

Bring your bug spray, this is in the jungle.While the restaurant area is bug free due to the mosquito coils, you are fair game any where else.

Bottom line we will be returning to this resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank suzie_1957

BULA Suzie!

Thank you for the time you spent sharing your thoughts on Lalati with future Fiji travelers.

You are so correct in pointing out that there are non divers at the resort. Although we do have a fantastic dive team, the resort does cater to honeymooners, soft adventure seekers and of course, divers. We do have a large honeymoon market, so the resort always have couples celebrating their honeymoon getaway with us. As we do always have divers exploring the wonders of Beqa Lagoon as well.

Sabine does know her way around the ocean! She's a marine specialist and also a professional underwater photographer, so the next time you visit, make sure you chat with her about her photography skills. She is working on setting up a program to offer photo disc with all your dive adventures ... a fun memento to bring home with you.

We are currently installing air conditioning in the villas and suites, so if you travel in the warmer summer month, and book a villa, we have you covered! But the tropical sea breezes can't be beat any time of the year.

We look forward to your return, where we can surprise you with a special "returnees" gift. Staff says to "hurry back soon."

VINAKA VAKA LEVU!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Pros:
Lalati is a Beautiful place. The views from the beach are just wonderful. The snorkeling is really cool. We would recommend the kayak trip through the Mangrove trees. That was one of the most spectacularly amazing things I have ever seen. It was truly surreal.
The food was ok... the bread though was amazing!! Felt very much like an Adult summer camp... Not totally what we were expecting but it was fun ☺ We stayed in the Honeymoon hut up on the hill. It was very spacious, but oddly shaped and lacking a dresser in the main room. The bed was quite comfortable and the hot tub was a plus.

Cons:
-At our second resort the workers were so friendly and happy. At Lalati the seemed afraid. They were so nervous around us when management was breathing down their back. They were totally reluctant to even eat some left over coconut bread we had made. The had to ask Sue for permission, and wouldn't even touch it when the owner was around. They are afraid of getting in trouble. We noticed that Sue (the general manager) was particularly mean to them. She was very snippy and condescending to them on several occasions. This created a very unpleasant environment. All the local workers weren't that open to talking to you. Our second resort was a major contrast... They were all so talkative friendly and open there!

-We also noticed a large amount of local traffic walking back and forth on the beach in front of the resort (kids and adults alike). We realized what it was when took a walk around the entire resort and found that on the far end of the resort they are building 7 new villas. The owner of the resort was there. He explained to us about what they were building. He asked us if we had noticed any noise or anything from this. We honestly hadn't. That's when things got awkward. He started telling us "You need to go on trip advisor and leave that exact feedback! Say you never heard the noise!" etc etc. He even brought it up again when we were leaving. It was very unprofessional!

-Are you going on the village tour? No. Are you going on the village tour? No. The number of times people asked us that, it got downright embarrassing to say no! Please stop asking.

Overall our experience at Lalati was fun and relaxing, but we would not recommend it to a friend nor will we be going back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmCo_AmIs
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

We are so very sorry that your experience was not what you had planned. Our goal is to exceed your expectations and I apologize if we did not meet our goals for you.

I'm so happy you enjoyed our wonderful snorkeling trips, and the awesome "two island kayak trip" through the mangroves. It's a beautiful experience, and truly what the pristine nature of Beqa Island is all about. I’m disappointed that, when offered, you did not participate in the village visit. I think this would have helped you understand where our management comes from when instructing staff.

I also regret that you left with a misinterpretation of our staff and management. While we value your opinion, we stand behind our management and staff 100%. And we will have to disagree on the staff being afraid. As you can tell from other reviews, the staff is warm and welcoming and the friendliest people ever. We are blessed to have them.

One thing guests sometimes forget is that Lalati staff are from local villages. The fact that you assumed our manager was talking down to them is a testament on how well our training program is. Here is an example: I had a new staff member in housekeeping come to me and say “I’ve think I’ve made a bed before, but I forgot how to do it.” Yes, we are talking very basic training. If you would have gone on the village visit, you would have understood that they have very basic living quarters, sleeping on mats on the floor. So while it may seem to you that a manager is condescending to a staff member, that is just not the case. Our staff come to us entirely untrained, and we supply them with valuable training that they can take with them wherever they go.

As far as Sue, part of our management team, she has a very quiet and gentle nature. When speaking to staff she selects her words carefully. Fijians are not known as multi-taskers, so what may seem to be "speaking down to them" is actually the best way to communicate to avoid confusion. We all have to remember that while their English is very good, it is a second language and nuances are often missed. In fact, you learn to figure out that at times, yes actually means no!

Regarding staff being fearful of eating leftover food, this is just not true. First of all, the staff who live with us at the resort get food prepared from our chefs. And staff always get "treats" in the kitchen - from desserts that are prepared, but turned down by guests, management and owners, to whatever the chefs "over made" during the day - which include all sorts of cookies and snacks. I was just there for my birthday and put the cake back in the kitchen for all staff to share, which they did and enjoyed it well!

I think perhaps you are interpreting a shyness for a fearfulness. I believe that the staff was maybe a bit shy about eating in front of you. They are also told that they should not eat any food set out for guests. This is probably why you interpreted this as being afraid. We have to set those parameters, otherwise the “afternoon tea” cookies/scones would not be there for guest enjoyment!

The locals that you observed walking along the beach front are actually the usual traffic that we observe every day, regardless of construction. Our neighbour villagers have farm plots which they get to by walking along the beach. All the locals take great joy in calling out ‘Bula’ to our guests as they go along their way. Our staff are all encourage to speak with our guests and love to interact with them. It’s part of what makes Lalati so special is - that guests are able to chat and interact with our staff members and learn about their culture and their families.

We are happy that you enjoyed your Fiji experience, and hope you think back fondly to your time with us. We are sorry it wasn't what you dreamed it would be, but hope you enjoyed your free mini bar and lovely private Jacuzzi and outdoor shower in your secluded private courtyard.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited Lalati for 4 days in order to check it out as a wedding destination. I instantly fell in love!

The location is beautiful! Set on breathtaking Beqa island, you are on on one side of the bay overlooking another part of the unspoilt island. The emerald green is in beautiful contrast to the blue ocean and the pier. (I can't wait to use it as backdrop for wedding photos!)

What really made the place, however, was the staff!!! They are so genuinely welcoming and felt like family within our first few days!!! I realise Fijians are considered one of the friendliest nations in the world, but this was different. As there are only 10 villas, there are a maximum of 20 guests which makes it very personal. Everybody is known by name and there is always time for a chat and discussing exactly what would make your stay at Lalati more enjoyable and memorable. Throw in a welcoming song on the pier, fresh coconuts to drink and a free foot massage on arrival and you're set for an extremely relaxing break!

Regarding activities - you can do as little or as much as you want. There are hammocks on every unit's veranda, as well a communal pool, hot tub and of course the spa if you just want to relax and indulge. the beach was fine too and the fact that it was tidal didn't bother us at all. There were so many great activities to choose from, that there wasn't quite enough hammock time!

We snorkelled just of the pier (free) and were so impressed with the blue star fish and other marine life, we immediately signed up for the snorkel safari where a guide takes you to the more colourful reef (where the water is the most beautiful aquamarine). That was absolutely amazing!!! Our guide also managed to show us a turtle and a reef shark! I've never felt so comfortable in the water that I'll be doing an introduction to Scuba next time we're there!
The other guests who dived were in awe and only had praise for the instructors.

The food was amazing! Every meal has 2 options (and a vegetarian option) which led to quite a bit of choice anxiety! I did not expect such great quality, considering that everything has to be brought over by boat! I even got a cake on my birthday :-)

Accommodation was great! Whether you're on the beach or in a cottage, you have a lovely view, the units are set a bit apart which ensures privacy and the windows ensure there's always a breeze to cool you off. The beach front units will be receiving a facelift and air conditioners soon, but personally I felt that fans and a ocean breeze is much more pleasant.

There are a lot of small things that really made Lalati perfect - you get an authentic Fijian experience as they not only have cultural activities (palm demonstration, cooking, etc) and certain activities that go through the villages, but when walking down the beach you are likely to meet villagers who are always happy for a chat and genuinely want to include you and make you feel at home (we got an invitation to go fishing with them for the day :-) without any expectations of tips, etc.

Speaking of tips - it was great not being pestered for money - tips are a voluntary contribution to the staff Christmas fund. All meals and the transfers are included in the price (which also includes all taxes) and any optional activities are charged to your room to be settled on the last morning - no need for wallets!

As no kids are allowed (I LOVED the silence and that adults got too relax as well!), our fellow guests were mostly honeymoon couples and divers which meant they were very similar to us. It was great catching up over Happy Hour and reminiscing over another perfect day in paradise!

My only complaint was that we were there for 4 days only. Knowing we're coming back for our wedding next year made leaving more bearable - I'm counting the days already!

Vinaka Lalati for a memorable and relaxing holiday!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meeksi
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

We are so excited that you enjoyed your brief stay with us, and that you will be returning for your wedding! The staff can't wait to see you again. We are happy that, even with only 4 days at Lalati Resort, you were able to snorkel and see some of our gorgeous underwater "neighbors." I find even the snorkeling on the house reef right in front of the resort to be full of colorful life. You could spend hours on that reef alone just seeing some incredible critters.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other Trip Advisor readers. And make sure you keep us busy asking us questions and planning your wonderful Destination Wedding at Lalati Resort & Spa.

CHEERS!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Where to begin?! My husband and I had a wonderful 10 day stay for our honeymoon. The food was absolutely incredible! We stayed in the beachfront honeymoon bure which was absolutely stunning. The staff is amazing, truly go out of the way to make your stay the best. There was only one minor thing that we had to deal with and that was the construction of more bures on the island. It was a little noisy at times, but not horrible. I would still make the trip back a hundred times if I could. If you are looking for a place that is truly secluded and romantic, look no further. My husband and I came down with horrible sore throats, the staff(including the owner) made sure we had plenty of tea and whatever else we needed. If you have a chance to go to Fiji, stay at Lalati!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank cwrn

Thank you for taking time to share your Lalati Resort experiences. So glad your 10 days with us was full of relaxation, rejuvenation and a touch of adventure!

We do endeavor to keep any kind of maintenance/construction noises to a minimum, and only during certain hours of the day. If you do find it disturbing, management would give you a voucher for an activity offsite to keep you entertained (or a day in the spa - which will make you want to melt!).

Again, we are happy you had a lovely experience, and our staff and management thank you for selecting Lalati Resort & Spa as your home in Fiji!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beqa Island
#1 of 13 in Suva
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!