“The Best Honeymoon EVER!!”

Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Washougal, Washington
“The Best Honeymoon EVER!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I had the most amazing honeymoon at Lalati Restort & Spa!! We wanted a place that we felt secluded from the normal hussel and bussel...this was the perfect place. Most of our stay we felt completely alone and at peace. I can't express how wonderful the staff was. Thank you Kirsti, Paul, Ian and Zara for making our stay special and comfortable. I immediately felt at home from the moment we stepped on the dock.

We went on many excursions (Kayak trip to bat island, snorkeling safari, nature trek, sunset cruise, firewalking, village visit, private beach picnic) which we enjoyed all of them. Thank you to Atu and Kula for being the best tourist guides, we enjoyed our conversations we had with you and made us feel like family.

The food was outstanding and everything we ate was very filling, we never were hungry while staying at Lalati. The chicken strudel was especially yummy, I wish I could find the recipe. LOL! We had a private dinner by the pool and a private dinner on our patio. It was perfect to just be the two of us. The mosquitoes were very bad and we got eaten up a lot but it seemed that almost everywhere we went, someone had a mosquitoe coil burning at our feet which helped keep them away. At happy hour, breakfast and even each night when our bed was turned down we had a mosquitoe coil. I guess it's the little things that make for an amazing resort.

The spa was outstanding. We had a couple massages and I had a facial and pedicure. Thank you Mary and Ollie!! You both are amazing. I got burned pretty bad too while I was there so Ollie and Mary offered me a burn treatment and it worked so good, within a few days my burn was gone and I recommend this to anyone that gets a bit too much sun while at Lalati.

Our room was great! The bed was very comfortable and we slept really good every single night, I was actually afraid we would miss breakfast cause we slept so well. :)

Our last night at Lalati the staff put together a bon fire which was so awesome, especially since it was our last night. The moon was full and just looked amazing beaming off the ocean. The view at Lalati was nothing like we have ever seen. We just wanted to sit and stare at it forever. No cars running, no power lines destroying the view... only peacefulness and serenity. We couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon.

The day we left I was so sad because I did not want to leave. I felt like we were leaving friends and family. Thank goodness I had my sunglasses on because I had many tears of joy and sadness. Thank you Lalati for making our honeymoon the most amazing trip ever! Can't wait to see you again!

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean View #2 and it was perfect, not too far from the pool/bar/etc, but not too close...
2 Thank Amber B
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
So happy you had the honeymoon you dreamed it would be! And we are so happy to have been a part of it.

I've been looking through the kitchen for years trying to find that chicken strudel recipe too! Unfortunately, it's in the chef's head. And she's not talking.

I'm glad you enjoyed our spa. The therapists are all "bibas" - meaning, they are not only trained, but they possess that certain something that you can't learn, but that is passed down through the generations. The treatment for sunburn is called "dilo" and its from the nut of a local tree. You can also purchase this from Pure Fiji. It really is magic for burns. But then again, there is magic found all through the rainforest, a beautiful pharmacology is hidden in there. I'm sure you learned about it all during your herbal walk with our staff.

We love our little tucked away paradise at Lalati Resort & Spa - and so glad you did too. Don't forget us on your anniversary - we always have a few surprises for our returning guests! VINAKA VAKA LEVU and return to your Lalati family again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed Lalati Resort and Spa for 5 nights on our honeymoon and it was amazing. The resort has a very intimate feel which is exactly what we were looking for in our honeymoon. The resort has a maximum capacity of about 18 people so you definitely have a very personal experience. We got to know and make friends with all the guest (usually over a drink at happy hour) staying at the resort during our stay.

The staff was great always very nice and accommodating. The food was to die for every night day. I looked at several websites and companies when looking for a honeymoon package and after talking with Tree at South Seas Adventures I was set on Lalati for it's great price and intimacy.

Room Tip: Bring beer from the mainland!
2 Thank karim_7777
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are so happy you shared your honeymoon with us! It's so nice to feel that all of Lalati Resort & Spa staff and management fulfilled your dreams of a perfect honeymoon. I agree - the staff is wonderful and the food fresh and yummy. When I visit the resort I always remind myself to "just say no" to the desserts, but one look at that hot chocolate souffle, and I'm a goner!

We are an intimate resort in Beqa Island, and I agree that it makes us a bit special - being a world away from the crowds, and even roads! So happy you appreciated the intimacy of a beautiful Beqa Lagoon resort, and that it suited you well. This makes all of us smile that we did the best job we could. And kudos to your agent - Tree at South Seas Adventures - for finding you the perfect romantic escape! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in a Trip Advisor review. VINAKA VAKA LEVU!

Susan, Marketing Director, Lalati Resort & Spa
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

This resort was booked for us by a holiday centre. Unfortunately Beqa island is 3hrs bus travel and 1/2 hr boat trip from Nadi. You get a lot more rain there than in the north! A bad start, the driver picked us up much later than advised. The resort is known for scuba diving. If you don't dive-and I don't- it gets boring stuck on a small resort with nothing to do.Especially when it rains a lot. Unfortunately there was some sort of stomach bug doing the rounds. Whilst we were there 5 people,including myself, came down with it.
If you like scuba diving then go there,otherwise there are far better places in Fiji.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AustraliaShiraz
We are so disappointed you did not have a wonderful experience on your holiday with us. I understand that rain can be disappointing, but do note that the northern Islands (Taveuni and Vanua Levu) get more, not less, rain than we do.

I went through our files and found your feedback form, and found that I did write you a note back in August addressing your concerns. It seemed that you received bad "intel" from your booking agent. According to my notes, you were told you had the option of either an "overwater bungalow or a seaview cottage." Yikes - obviously, you discovered when you arrived that we have no overwater bungalows! You told our management that you did not choose the overwater because you weren't strong swimmers and were afraid, but had you known we had Oceanfront Villas, you would have opted for those. I'm so sorry for that and not sure why this happened as we are very careful in supplying an overabundance of material and information to all our agents. We do this so that agents will be well versed and knowledgeable about the resort facilities and best able to match the right guest with the proper resort that suits them best.

At that time (in August) I asked you for the name of the agent who supplied you with the misinformation, so we could do some further training of the agency staff. We certainly don't want people to have the wrong information, and be disappointed when they arrive. We all want to present the resort in the truest possible light.

Whilst you were with us, there were only 4 people diving - all the rest were on adventure or romantic getaways. I've pulled up the comment sheets of the other guests, and am surprised that you did not find the activities enjoyable. The majority of our non diving guests who were there while you were rated our activities and activities staff a "5" out of 5. I know you mentioned you enjoyed the sunset cruise, and wondered if you participated in any of the other activities that were included in your Romance package?

We have kayak excursions, waterfall hikes, treks, snorkeling trips, boat tours and more. However, many of our adventures are water based (being that we are in the middle of the ocean), which may not be a great match for non swimmers.

I would still love to have your agent's name so we can contact them to be sure that any future guests do not expect to stay "over the water" at the resort. But we can confirm that there are many great activities for non divers - in fact, we have more honeymooners at the resort than we do divers. Out of the 14 guests who were staying with us during your stay, 10 were non divers - and we even had a wedding during your stay. We are not a solely dedicated dive resort but more of a romance/adventure resort enjoyed by divers, honeymooners, people looking to get away from it all, romantics and adventure seekers of all ages.

Again we are sorry you did not enjoy your 6 days with us, and appreciate your feedback both here, and in the feedback form you provided us with in August. We take all critiques seriously and thank you for your comments, which help us to continue to always improve our guests experience.

Paradise Point, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from Lalati Resort after spending a magical week visiting in October '12. The resort is small and secluded but has a most wonderful welcoming atmosphere. The accommodation is magnificent, we were upgraded to a waterfront Bure which was huge, clean and very comfortable. We were also impressed with the overall service and friendliness. The food was delicious and varied. We are divers so the convenience of having a Padi certified centre within the resort was perfect for us. The Dive masters were educational, informative and helpful. We took our own gear but their hire equipment was new and well maintained. A must see is the Shark Dive, SENSATIONAL. We were very happy with our stay and are telling everyone about Lalati, a hidden treasure on Beqa Island.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with Lalati Resort & Spa. As divers ourselves, we agree that the diving in Beqa Lagoon is special, and the shark dive is definitely unforgettable. Many guests shy away from it - out of fear or concern - so we are also glad you mentioned this so other guests can enjoy the Ultimate Shark Encounter!

Any time you are ready to return, let us know. We love to treat our returning guests to a little something special...

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Want AC and a concierge: Book the Pearl or Intercontinental. Want endless buffets and all activities included: book a cruise. Want all inclusive: Book Club Med or Sandals. Want "low pricing": book Carnival Cruise lines' 899$ 7 nights Bahamas cruise. Want endless beaches? Try Cancun, Daytona/Cocoa Beach and Ft-Lauderdale.

Want a place where there are no roads, no cars, no ATT nor Verizon coverage, and no one owns shoes...( they don't need them and neither will you)

What about a place that uses reclaimed rain water for showers, where you'll have to create a draft using louvers to cool down your room (and it works) and where the food is a fresh as it gets: fish is off the dock and fruits and veggies from the backyard garden. Want world class SCUBA diving and snorkeling?

Then Lalati might be for you. You'll spend what you'd spend going to Disney first class. But a few notable points:

-there are only 10 Bures on the island. That's you/your guest and 18 (Max) other people. You get tranquil off the beaten path relaxation.

-this isn't the States. So gas is not 2.99 a gallon and a diet coke is NOT .99. That bottle of FJD5.00 Club Soda came from New Zeland. Your corona's from Mexico. Think about that.

-You're not downtown: no noises and no help. So you need (and pay for) a guide with all activities. But that Guide (most probably Kula) will carry you out of the mountain on his back or go to bat island and rile up 100s of giant bats for you; if need be. You could not do either; even if your life depended on it.

Splurge:

-The Spa services are great.

-The village tour is educational and humbling. You will be grateful for your blessings and appreciative of the Islander's generosity/hospitality.

- The diving is world class; if not world standard (shark diving, Macro life and caring dive masters made our experience memorable)

BOTTOM LINE: This is a destination boutique resort. It'll reset your priorities, you'll escape the grind and you may even have an epiphany when you are there.

I don't know if that is an experience you have ever had. I did. On my honeymoon in Lalati.

And I will return with my wife...

PS: we were there for what turned out to be unseasonable 10 rainy and windy days. We did not go to the beach once. Yet we missed nothing and yearned for no more: We went for the diving and although the sun made a rare 3 hour appearance...we did not miss out on anything and have the fondest memories. Can u say that if you go to Cancun and it rains your entire vacay???

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon beachfront suite. Private courtyard and hot tub are great to have.
6 Thank legalluke
Lalatiowners, Public Relations Manager at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Legalluke ... you had me at the headline. I have to say that your review took my breath away. Aside from being so well written, you managed to capture the essence of Lalati Resort so brilliantly. I wish I could copy this review and post it to every potential guest, saying 'this is who we are, and this is who we are not." We thank you for the beautiful words. And we are grateful of your time, and prose - and of course, so happy that your honeymoon with us was all that you hoped it would be.

Let your agent know when you want to re-visit us on Beqa Island, and we'll make sure to plan something really special for your return to Lalati Resort & Spa.

Tropical Lolomas - Susan, Marketing Director
Laguna Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Flying from LAX non stop on Air Pacific's overnight flight is an easy 10 hour sleep flight. Lalati staff meets you at Nadi Aiport and their van drives you along a coast road around the "big island" toward Suva where the Lalati boat meets you for a 45 minute shuttle across the channel to Beqa island. Free sighseeing! Be sure you have the driver stop at Baravi Handicrafts along the way if you want to buy any souvenirs.The wood carvings are amazing and they are set up with DHL to ship things of any size. There are no roads, restaurants or retail on Beqa.
Lalati Resort was just what our group was hoping for - swaying palms, exotic flowers landscaping, spacious bure accomodations with water views, excellent onsite included meals, a well run scuba diving operation, 82 degree water,100 ft visibility, clown fish, nudibranchs, colorful small reef fish, giant tridacna clams, and healthy corals. We made two scuba dives in the AM and used the afternoons for the daily activiteis offered by the resort. The village tour is a must do, cooking class, how to prepare a coconut, rainforest trek and hammock time reading were all great. The value priced massage was a spa treat. There was kayaking, snorkeling, sunset Bat Island cruise and more. The Fijian people are amazingly hospitable, friendly, welcoming and easy to get to know. Kirsti and Paul, the resort managers are pros and Ian and Zara who run the dive operation are very competent waterpeople and accommodating. As a knee replacement candidate, I needed to come up the boat ladder with no tank or weights and everyone was gracious in their assistance. By the way, the main dive boat ladder deserves 5 stars - what a great design ladder and hand rails.
We like the all inclusive way this remote property operates. Nice to never carry money. Tipping the resort staff is via a contribution to the Fijian Christmas fund at the end of the trip. Dive staff work hard and appreciate a tip at the end. Refreshing to not face the expectant open hand all week. We felt like a week was a good length of stay to unwind, enjoy what the resort had to offer and see most of the dive sites. The resort takes you back across the channel and in their van back to the airport. You arrive at the airport about noon and the 11 pm flight does not start check in until 7:20pm. Consider getting a day room at Raffles directly across from the airport that you can hang out in until 6 pm for about $ 75 US. The Port At Denaru is a $35F/$25 US/ 20 minute Fijian taxi ride away and has some US style shops and variety of restaurants to fill your afternoon, or Raffles has a nice pool.
We came to Lalati as tourists and left as friends of the resort ...with some great underwater pictures and memories of charming Fijian hospitality.

Room Tip: The bure cottages furthest from the resort main building are a bit of a walk, but stone quiet and mo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeanne S
BULA Jeanne!

VINAKA for your detailed description of your Lalati Resort & Spa experience. So happy that your Beqa Lagoon getaway turned out to be everything you anticipated. We are so appreciative that you took the time to leave an extensive itinerary of your time with us. I'd love to see your photos - and steal some from you for our website!

Again, thank you for your time, and for being such a great guest.

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Spent 5 nights at Lalati in September. Had a fabulous time. This is a small boutique resort perfect for a complete getaway for couples. My husband and I found the staff exceptionally friendly and the service was great. It was nice at the end of dinner to return to your bure to find the bed turned down and a mosquito coil lit. Yes there are mosquitios but nothing that Aeroguard repellent couldn't handle. The meals were incredible, especially when you consider you are on an island that is not highly populated! The snorkelling was amazing and whilst the resort is on a tidal beach this did not detract from its beauty. I would recommend this resort to any couple that wants some relax time. There are plenty of actiivites if you wish, it is the place to do as much or as little as you choose.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
So happy you got to unwind and relax at Lalati Resort! I am equally happy you mentioned activities and snorkeling. Many guests feel that if they travel to a Beqa Lagoon resort, there is nothing to do but dive. Happy you mentioned other activities as there are many (and snorkeling is great!), and of course, a bit of relaxation and rejuvenation never hurt anyone on vacation!

Thank you for the compliments!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beqa Island
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!