“Awesome place to go for peace and quiet!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lalati Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lalati Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Springfield IL USA
“Awesome place to go for peace and quiet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I can truly say that I loved the staff at Lalati Resort and Spa as much as the location! The views are magnificent! The food wonderful! The staff helpful and caring. I hope someday we can return to our "Island home".

Room Tip: We went with the lest expensive and were prefectly happy with the accomendations.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

We had a horrible time getting to Fiji which I would like to thank United for. We actually did not arrive until the next afternoon, but when we got there . . . absolutely beautiful. I would like to start by saying this resort is located about 2 hours drive from Nadi and a half hour boat ride thereafter. I don't know if it is classified as an eco resort, but it uses rainwater and generators. Thus, the electricity can be spotty and so is the hot water. There is no a/c, but with the ocean breeze you really don't notice. After this full disclosure . . . onto the review.
We had a fantastic time on our honeymoon. Being adventurous, we signed up for the activities package and Kula(?), our guide for most of the activities, was a taskmaster! The first day, we did the mountain trek. I would recommend only if you want a good workout and sweatfest! It had rained the previous day and the trail had not been used for at least 6 months. Kula walked up the mountainside in his flip flops, holding my wife's hand and cutting the jungle trail with his machete! Amazing! There was lots of mud and it felt like we slid down the mountain on the way back.
On the second day, we took the day off from activities and had a couples massage and laid by the pool. After lunch, we wanted to do a refresher SCUBA dive. You dive right off the dock and we actually spotted a turtle sleeping amongst the coral.
On the third day, we had substituted the discover dive with a two tank dive (we are both certified). The previous week had been a little stormy and windy. Thus, the water was not clear, but there was plenty of sealife and colorful coral. Not to be missed! I wish we had more time as I would have liked to dive some more.
On the fourth day, we decided on the remote island day with a picnic lunch provided. The island was supposed to be remote; however, by midday, there were two ships that had decided to visit the island as well. The staff stated that shouldn't be the case, but we still enjoyed ourselves and the surrounding waters had numerous fish and I spotted one black tipped reef shark!
On the fifth day, we did the island kayak with Kula. You had better be in pretty good shape if the breeze is going. You spend lunch in a little bay with fantastic coral and beautiful blue starfish everywhere. You also get to travel through a mangrove swamp that connects the two islands and visit bat island. The bats are huge! Once again, Kula was making sure I was going to be in tip tope shape when our honeymoon was over! What a taskmaster! ;) I was exhausted.
The staff and dive instructors were fantastic! I was very beat up at the end of the five days (missed a day and a half because of United), but enjoyed every minute of it. Besides the packed lunches, the meals are communal with the other guests so you get to know everyone that is staying there which is something you don't always get to experience. I really liked every meal that I had. The only fault I had with the meals would be that it was not enough, especially after all of the work I did. There really isn't a beach right on the resort, but I heard from the other guests that a simple 5 minute kayak will get you to one.
To sum it all up, we really enjoyed our honeymoon. The only regret is I wish I could have had more time to spend diving. This resort is not for everyone, but those that are not fussy and looking for off the beaten track . . . try Lalati. Ask for Kula to take you on any adventures, but be warned! He will work you.

1 Thank BigMiK_71
tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Our travel agent said she never had a bad complaint from Lalati Resort and Spa. We arrived at Lalati resort with one other couple who purchase there vacation from the same company. They took one look around and left for anther resort. If we knew what we were getting into we would had left too. Advertised as a four star resort you would have expected air conditioning but there was not any. The bathroom was like a camp trailer bathroom including ants and silverfish and limited hot water. In 60 plus humidity you need air, the bed sheets were wet every night the cool island breeze our agent told as about never came. We took advantage of the village tour the resort offered. After buying several handcrafted items, the chefs brother started to yell at my wife made her sit down saying she was being disrespectful that we did not bring him a kava fruit and her dress was to short her knees were showing. We went to the village with four Lalati employees who lived in the village. Having your wife cry and get real upset on first full day of your vacating set a bad tone for the week we were also served by the same villagers at the resort made it very uncomfortable. I got a half hearted apologies from the manager my wife did not even get that. The jewelry we bought at the village before we got yelled at we found at the airport for a third of the price for the same pieces. The food was average and you had to eat on there time schedule which is fine if there is other food you can purchase if you get hungry I felt I was on a diet the hole time I was at lalati. I did lose 10lbs that week which I did not need to lose. We were told Lalati was the best resort on the island by our agent. Later we found out there was a better resort on the other side of the island with air conditioning. The second resort we went to on our vacation was just what we were hoping for good food, a/c. friendly people and a clean sandy beach. There was no beach at Lalati. The second resort save our vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank tanker09
Lalatiowners, Marketing Director at Lalati Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all feedback, both good and bad, to help us improve in any way we can.

We were appalled when your travel agency called and spoke with us regarding your misfortunes at the village. This is certainly not what Fiji is all about, bearing the moniker of the ‘Friendliest People on Earth”! We were so upset by what your agent shared with us, that Brad, resort owner and managing director, flew from the US to Fiji to have a formal meeting with the village.

It is regrettable that this one individual caused a negative experience on your honeymoon, and we are truly sorry this happened. It is definitely not the spirit of the islands, and we assure you, not the norm. I know that our manager offered your wife a free massage, and I know that doesn’t compensate for a rude individual. In the village meeting with Brad, the village elders wanted to contact you to express a personal apology for the poor behavior of their resident.

I am also sorry that you thought rooms were air conditioned. As you know, we have very large windows on all walls, circling the villas and cottages, and ceiling fans throughout. These do circulate the air and make it quite pleasant for most guests, especially in the cooler evenings. We never advertise that the resort is air conditioned, and are sorry you were led to believe we did have it.

As for the camp bathroom, yes, our toilets are a bit different than most, and if you are not used to these kinds of toilets, they do look a little like a toilet you would see in a traditional motor home. While not as “elegant” as some resort toilets, they provide an important function to the ecosystem of the islands.

These are composting toilets. They operate in the same manner as a regular home toilet (they have water, they flush, etc) but with an important difference. The reefs surrounding the islands are quite fragile, as coral reefs are. Wastewater that leaches into the soil eventually makes its way to the ocean and sea life beyond, which can cause damage to this fragile ecosystem. So resorts walk a fine line … wanting to provide their guests with the ultimate “steps from the sea” experience, but needing to keep far enough away to guard against any destruction of reefs and sea life due to septic systems.

Lalati has opted to use these composting toilets as a great remedy. No waste leaches into the soil, and the special process renders everything into completely safe compost that feeds resort flower gardens. We feel it is the best of both words, and the most ecologically friendly. We are in the process of updating the bathrooms themselves in the Seaview Cottages, our entry level accommodation, which was, I believe, the room in which you were staying.

We are also in the process of evaluating the resort menus once again, to update and make sure everything is spot on and perfect for our guests. If you would like to take the time to email me (email address on the website will reach me directly) and let me know which items on the menu you enjoyed, and which you felt were “average,” you would be assisting us in creating the best menu possible for our international guests.

Your comments about not having enough to eat will also be addressed. There are normally candy bars, chips and nuts sold in the gift shop, and we will be sure that those are always kept in stock. If you had gone to the managers with your meal concerns, I’m sure they would have told you that you can always order extra food if you are hungry. As the newest reviewer said, he was so active that he was hungrier than normal, and we are keeping this in mind to make sure that everyone will be quite satisfied with their Lalati dining experience.

Thank you for letting us know, so we can take immediate action. All reviews and guest comments are welcome and helpful to all resorts, and we thank you again for taking time out to let us know how we can continually improve the Lalati Experience. Vinaka Vaka Levu.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

We travelled to Lalati in April of this year. From our first correspondence with Lalati, the staff were so helpful and always tried to accommodate us; they even organized our transfer from Nadi late the night before we arrived at Lalati and delivered us safely to Pacific Harbour for a transfer early the next morning. When the manager Chris turned up to collect us, he was so lovely and the minute we stepped off the boat we were pampered & felt welcomed into the Lalati family; we received a flower lei, fresh coconut & foot passage - exactly what the doctor ordered for our tired feet. Each morning we woke up to the sound of water lapping against the sand and the gorgeous view of coconut trees running the length of the bay. Every morning we had a delicious breakfast (my hubby was very fond of the warriors big breakfast) before we headed out for an adventure of kayaking or reef snorkeling or even nothing at all; lying in the hammock on our verandah reading our books. While there are activities available all day, the beauty of this place is that you can get involved, organize your own activities with the staff or do nothing at all! Lunches were always relaxed but delicious and happy hour (Ala's cocktails are AMAZING) is always followed by a delicious three course meal. YUM! The spa was great and I had several lovely massages: Chantal even came to work earlier one afternoon so I could have one last massage before I left! What this resort doesn't offer in Sheraton-style mod cons, it makes up for with bucket loads of charm & fantastic friendly & helpful staff! To Chris, Sarah, Mary, Ala, Chantal, Loui, Makky, Thacoola & the rest of the staff THANK YOU for a fabulous honeymoon and a fantastic holiday. We hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Lalati Resort was a perfect fit for the trip we were looking for. We had always talked about a Fiji trip and wanted it to be unique. Not the same kind of trips we had taken in the past. Right from arrival to the end the people at Lalati were wonderful, the service was special, and they made our visit perfect. Our bungalow was very nice, super clean and the amenities were plenty (hair dryer, soaps, shampoos etc). There was a small fridge in the room for drinks.
The food was fresh, creative and always tasted great.
They had plenty of local adventures to pick from or just stay pool side w/ and have a great massage.
If you are looking for a peacefull, and relaxing trip this is definately the place. Being all inclusive was pefect for the location of this resort. We will be back to visit, we really enjoyed it. Lalati made Fiji our new destination for unwind time.
Chad & Kelly Portland, Oregon USA

Room Tip: bring transformer for electrical items
Iwakuni, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

I wanted to say thank you for letting us feel so welcome at Lalati Resort! The resort was EXACTLY what we were looking for! We wanted someplace small, secluded, and the staff to be friendly. We were NOT dissappointed at all! Ok, if your looking for the nightlife of clubs and lots of people I do agree this is NOT the place. This place is where you want to beable to relax and be on Fiji Time! You get the feel of what Fiji is all about! Yes the weather was not in our favor but the staff came up with things for us to do! I have to admit this is the first vacation that I was NOT ready to go home from! From the managers (Sarah and Chris) to diving with Kristy (who I think I squeezed her hand so hard under the water, sorry!) to the cook who was fabulous! All the employees went out and beyond for us! I loved getting up in the mornings and hearing BULA as soon as they saw you! I was so completly relaxed there and learned alot! This is a vacation I will never forget! We are hoping to come back SOON!!!

Coos Bay, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

Have you ever seen a purpleish blue star fish ? The deer-antler coral has
sharp blue or yellow colors. The food is great tasting . The staff is as cordial
as they are experienced in their duties. Get to know them and you'll feel just like home. Sunrises are as colorful as the banks of coral. Snorkelling or diving are the prevalent activities where you don't seem to get enough of. You can treat yourself to the services of the Spa. You can have coconut as fresh as they have just fallen from the palm trees. Even the rock cod fish
are friendly.... you might run into some old friends !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Lalati Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!