“Melanie N. "Gorgeous tropical island getaway"”
Review of Kulu Bay Resort

Kulu Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
San Clemente, California
“Melanie N. "Gorgeous tropical island getaway"”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I just returned on May 13, 2014 from a fabulous 9 day stay at Kulu Bay Resort on Beqa, Fiji. After traveling for 9 days in the amazing South Island, New Zealand (which we loved, by the way), it was such a pleasure to just relax and be pampered at KBR. We were treated like royalty and bure #7 was our castle right on the beach. Our favorite activity was the private picnic on a sandbar where we had the whole place to ourselves to enjoy our yummy lunch, snorkel around the beautiful and colorful, soft coral reef in the gorgeous turquoise blue waters, and just soak up the sun. The FIrewalking performance, the Cava Ceremony, the Village Visit, the Lovoo feast, the kayaking, the snorkeling - all were just fabulous. We loved the staff so much that I cried when they sang the "Goodbye Song". We recommend it highly. It was like a second honeymoon for us. xo

Room Tip: All the bures are so very private but, if you want the most private one, we recommend bure #7 which...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dsocrfam4

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in October and were so happy with our experience. The staff took wonderful care of us all week, and man was the food good! We left each meal completely stuffed because we couldn't stop eating it, it was too delicious. The snorkeling was fantastic. I don't think I've snorkeled on a better reef with such a wide variety of fish. We loved kayaking, the hike through the jungle, the trip to the nearby village and all the other fun activities they provided. It is a great spot for some serious relaxing and great food and we truly enjoyed getting to know the staff and all the wonderful service they offered. We hope to make it back very soon!

Room Tip: make sure to bring your bug spray! Mosquito are pretty bad. Also be sure to charge any electronics...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in Sept/2013, and we were sad to leave. We were welcomed to the island by all the staff members, who are all locals of the nearby village, by song, and a brief orientation to the island. There was no internet, or phone service, so if that's what you want, it's an amazing place to unplug. The staff called us by name, and were so friendly and accommodating. The manager made me some coconut syrup to take home!! The 'bures' were beautiful, the ocean breeze blowing in, and everything was kept so clean. We had an amazing time, we dove with them for two days, and the guys were great guides to the local areas. We also went fishing with the other couple staying at the resort, and we had such a great day- we caught our dinner for the night, and the staff prepared a beautiful, traditional Fijian meal, with entertainment of a kava ceremony. The food was great, three meals a day, taking our breakfast order the night before- if all you want is a plate of bacon, well, they will provide it for you! We continue to talk about Kulu Bay resort as one of the best places we have ever stayed at. We loved it there. One recommendation to getting there, is to fly into Suva to cut down on the transportation time. We miss you Kulu Bay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Now that the blustery winter has descended upon the western hemisphere, visions of Kulu Bay Resort once again occupies my consciousness at unexpected moments... visions of frolicking in the warm ocean water, visions of awesome fish and colorful corals while snorkeling or even kayaking at the edge of the Great Barrier Reef, visions of being lulled to sleep by the sounds of waves in our luxurious Bure (waterfront cabins), visions of the timelessness of the SANDBAR.. a stretch of sand out in the middle of Nowhere where you feel you can linger forever (especially when the staff set up a lovely breakfast for your enjoyment)! That is why they called it the Sandbar EXPERIENCE!!
Fruits freshly picked from the island and fish just plucked from the sea prepared the local way!
Plus a myriad of activities when you can be coaxed out of the water...
Most of all, the warm Fijian welcome and the graciousness of the staff, provided guests lucky to be at Kulu Bay Resort, with an experience of a lifetime!
This destination should be on everyone's bucket list!

Room Tip: All the cabins are similar and fronts the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank H W
Bellflower, California
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The best vacation spot if you want to relax and just enjoy nature. My friends and I spent 5 days there. We all enjoyed ourselves. We loved the food, the excellent service and a most memorable visit to the sandbar. The experience is out of this world.

Room Tip: All rooms available are excellent with no exception.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annie D
Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's been 6 months since I was at Kulu Bay Resort. I hope to go back next spring. I am still savoring the moments and the memories of the waves lulling me to sleep and waking me up in the morning; the idyllic resort scenery of this natural tropical island; the delicious meals and lovo feast with local ingredients and those sweet papayas; the warm water to snorkel and swim and kayak right there just minutes away from your spacious bure (bungalow); the friendly faces and melodious singing of the staff and villagers; the fire walking and kava ceremony with the villagers; the peacefulness without TV, Internet and telephone; and oh, that boat trip to the Sand Bar made me wonder: Is this Paradise? If only Kulu Bay wasn't so far away...but it was worth the long flight and shuttle and boat ride. Bula (hello) Paradise. See you again soon!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank SeattleBH
Torrance, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 WONDERFUL days at Kulu Bay Resort. The pictures on their website do not do it justice. it is even more beautiful "live". From the moment we were picked up from the airport to our last day on the resort....was truly memorable!

We were promptly picked up At Nadi airport by the resorts private driver. He was so friendly and informative in giving us local information and history of the island on the 2 hr. drive to the jetty at Pacific Harbour that the trip just flew by. He even stopped halfway for refreshments and souvenir shopping that was really fun.

Next stop was at Pacific Harbour where the lovely large private boat from Kulu Bay, driven by Taka, was waiting to take us for our last 35 min. ride to the resort. We arrived to a very warm greeting and singing from all the staff and lovely lei's were presented to us.

After our brief introduction, check-in and refreshments by Sharon, we were escorted to our bure. We were so impressed by how spacious it was, how large the bathrooms and bedroom were and the view from the large windows in the living room area and master bedroom were just breathtaking. The beautiful clear blue ocean water is just steps away to the front of each bure and the beautiful flowers and rainforest to the rear are gorgeous.

I will admit that I have always been reluctant to try new foods and fish has never been high on my list of foods to eat or order. But I had decided that on this trip, I would be a good sport and be a little bit more adventurous and experience it all. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by everything that was served and the food (and yes...even the fish) was delicious and plentiful. The cook was always so willing and gracious to make substitutions to her menu but I truly enjoyed it all and never left hungry!!

My VERY favorite part of our trip was being able to participate in so many of the activities that were offered. We truly felt so immersed in their Fijian culture from the moment we arrived at the resort. We learned so much during our stay that we never would have received staying on the mainland. We enjoyed an evening ceremony with the firewalkers and meke dancers, an afternoon sand bar visit (a must do!), we were taught how to hand line fish by Sera (so much fun), and we enjoyed the traditional lovo feast prepared by Sharon and the girls and Kava ceremony with music by the village men and resort workers. Learning to speak a few Fijian words and the story of the coconut and all the uses of the entire tree used in their everyday life presented and demonstrated my Maria was most educational.

Another highlight to our trip was the village visit to see the school children who entertained us with songs and dances but seeing their sweet faces was a real treat. The staff from the resort who escorted us were so happy to show us their homes and told us that many of them have been able to build on to their existing homes and help other families build homes all from being able to work at the resort and the generous donations from the guests that come. That just truly warmed my heart.

It was hard to leave when our trip was over. I felt as if I had been treated like royalty and had made friends with most all of the staff. Even though a few tears were shed, I knew I would be back one day. I would HIGHLY recommend Kulu Bay Resort to any of my family and friends. I can't wait until my grandchildren are older so I can bring them (along with their Dad and Mom too, of course) to Kulu Bay Resort to enjoy this whole experience. It was truly memorable, relaxing, fun and so much to be learned from these warm and friendly Fijian people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Naukacuvu Island
Royal Davui Island Resort
Royal Davui Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Royal Davui Island

Been to Kulu Bay Resort? Share your experiences!