“Breathtaking”
Review of Kulu Bay Resort

Kulu Bay Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Reviewed January 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from a magical vacation to Kulu Bay Resort.  I had always dreamed of going to Fiji and did we pick the most perfect place!   The resort only has 7 bures which made it so romantic for us!  The bures were very clean and large with living room, large bedroom, walk in shower and more!  They were decorated in fijian decor which really helped put me in the spirit.  The staff was incredible and I was always greeted with a BULA and a smile.  I miss them already and can't wait to go back again!  I did tour the village which was quite an experience and one I'd recommend to all to see how the Fijians really live.  I'd have to say my favorite thing my boyfriend and I did was go to the sandbar.  WOW! It was a short boat ride and in the middle of the ocean was this sandbar that only shows up at low tide.  The water was so warm, so clear and just gorgeous.  We had a picnic there and I never wanted to leave! But obviously I did since I'm writing this review haha.  I enjoyed snorkeling and kayaking around the bay.  My boyfriend and I did venture out a little on the kayak together and I was so amazed at how deep down I could see since the water was so clear.  Our beaches in California don't look like that for sure!  The food was really good and I enjoyed trying new fijian inspired meals as well.

Well, I can't stop dreaming about our trip and I just can't wait to go back to Kulu Bay Resort.  Maybe for our honeymoon : )

• Stayed: January 2012
10  Thank Calisun23

Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I just got back from Kulu Bay. We went there for our honeymoon in November of 2011. It was amazing! The bures were SO comfortable and very nice! The staff was beyond helpful and accomodating. And the scenery was dreamy. I strongly recommend Kulu Bay!!! We fell in love with it and hope we get to go back :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure number 2.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Michael H
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I dont write reviews... I'm an Aussie -reviews seem to tell you more about the reviewer than the place so thats a start.

I visited Kulu Bay resort just over 2 years ago with my wife and our 1 year old (at the time). I have visited the Malolo Bay in Mamanucas since with our then 2 year old and our newer 1 year old (at the time). Obviously we went back to Fiji. We have rarely felt so comfortable with our little loved ones amongst others. I am planning third family holiday now and looking again at Fiji.
First conclusion - we like Fiji.

I said I dont write reviews but I'm writing this as the resort seems to get 5 star or 2 star. Again I think this tells you more about the people than the place - though seasonal variation time etc no doubt makes a difference.

We loved:
-Getting to know the people. As I said i was really happy handing my little one around. She brought the locals some joy and they obviously cherish children. It was more 'local' than Malolo.
-Snorkelling was great - I'm no expert but have snorkelled in a few places including around Malolo. This was better.
-Food was really good. i love to cook - I love fresh food. I have never had better Tuna. Lovo was pretty fine as well.
-Rooms were excellent. Big - not sophisticated in some ways but really good
-Views were spot on. Roll out of the bure and you are at a wonderful beach
-Visit the school. It was great
- Not having tea/coffee in room was great - we just asked and received. The style of teas has changed my drinking habits permanently and I now try and make it like we had it. The staff thought we were a bit odd as we had about 5 pots a day brought to our room. Still they did it happily and had a bit of a grin.

You probably wont like it if:
-You need to be doing high energy stuff all the time. Its not a resort with entertainment. You need to be the kind of person that is happy spending a few hours just taking it in without any distraction.
-You need to go shopping.
-You need TV

We didnt return here as we went as an extended family trip and amongst us there were 6 kids and a few easily bored types. We had a great time at Malolo Island as well. It was in between Kulu Bay resort and something more akin to a large international hotel chain. More stuff to do but without the genuine local feel.

I'd go back to either in a heartbeat.

I'm pretty hard to impress but am always pleased by wonderful scenery, good food and good people. I'm underwhelmed by exclusive resorts that are more about style than substance - but understand that for some people fine furnishings are the most important aspect to a stay and I don't criticize that. To those I say dont go to Kulu bay Resort or Malolo Island. Dont get me wrong the places are very comfortable indeed and stack up pretty well in terms of international standards but if you are like me and likely to forget those things, you are probably also likely to remember the names of the staff, the look of the coral, the taste of the food, the view of the beach and the horizon, the visit to the village, a wonderful church service, and chatting with locals including the chief and his lovely family. I had no sense of being ripped off but I was prepared to tip a decent chunk on departure (which is a bit odd for me normally being Australian).

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank SherbrookeSt
Reviewed March 11, 2008

When they say the 'Ultimate Escape,' they mean it.

After my long journey, we rounded the corner into the bay, I saw the bungalow's, called Bure's, appear through the lush greenery of a tropical forest. The staff greeted me with a welcome song and introduced me to all the amenities that were available for my stay.

I was taken to my 'Bure', which was very well appointed, with plenty of room for very comfortable living in such a heavenly place. After a nap in the afternoon, I joined the others in the spacious dining and social area within the main welcoming 'Bure". In the evenings, the staff explained about the importance of the 'coconut' in their lives, history of their island, and how the famous Fire Walker's of Beqa evolved. We also had Kava drinking ceremonies - that's a story all in itself to be enjoyed. I found this all very interesting.

Stepping off my veranda and almost at my feet, was the gorgeous sandy beach which I walked along and lazed in the water. They have a dive master, so if your so inclined, you can get your scuba ticket. There are several beautiful reefs to explore the underwater wonders near Beqa. You can snorkel right in the bay - amazing place.

I found the staff were all so friendly checking to see to all my needs throughout the days. They love to bring you your morning coffee or tea even breakfast if you want in your room. One thing for sure, I never went hungry. Snacks were available - I only paid for my drinks.

I visited the local school and fell in love with the children. They are very proud of their school that just started up last year. I attended the church in the village too, beautiful singing. This is a short boat ride around to the next bay where their village sits. They live very simple lives and are so happy, with so little. I gave a donation to the school which was happily received and a sixth. grade student wrote me the most wonderful thank you. Actually, almost all of the staff come from this village, which has helped them improve their lives. Hat's off to management of Kulu Bay Resort!

Your guaranteed to have all your needs and dreams met for a pleasant relaxing holiday! You decide what you want to do or just stay tucked in your own digs and enjoy the surroundings. As some say, just chill out! I loved it.

I met some lovely people from Montana - newlyweds, a couple from North Carolina - loads of fun, a family of 6 from Melbourne - the two young children were so well behaved, and a delightful couple from Israel. It was all so good!

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay of 17 days. We had torrential rains, mostly sunny weather and a cyclone, but it was the season. The resort has solar power ( nice and quiet ) and back up generators, propane cooking, so we just carried on as normal while all of Fiji were out of power for days. They really planned the resort to cover any event. I would go back in a heart beat, just loved how relaxed my stay was. I did allot of soul searching as there is nothing to distract you. So beneficial! I read one very good book too, which helped in my search.

Give yourself a treat and prove me right - you won't be disappointed, it's the ULTIMATE ESCAPE, how can you lose?

Trip taken January 14 to the 31st. 2008.

Joy Smith, Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada

5  Thank thesmithkids
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I will tell you when we arrived after the long flight with no sleep, the driver took us shopping.......too much with no sleep. Boat was there waiting and transported us, natives singing as we arrived, had to sign in, remember no sleep. It was so hot and humid. Took us to a beautiful room, large bathroom, large bedroom and sleeper bed in other room. No air conditioning and my pony tail was dripping sweat. I cried for 3 hrs, it shocked everyone..but I was so hot and tired. I cut my hair with my dive knife..........best thing I ever did.....happiness came since immediately cooler.
I loved everything there, the meals, the diving.
The things I hated............Making village visit--had to pay chief to enter village, pay woman group for dancing, I did take lots of stuff for the kids and they did enjoy that. Hours later I asked to just give them money and let me return to the resort.
I hated the worm holes at the beach, which I could not beach dive due to fear of twisting ankle when sinking down 6 inches with every step due to the worm holes.
No tipping---right....I was told how much to tip, I was told how much they needed and staff wanted me to send packages with needs.
I was up every morning and watched the staff return to the resort from the villages in which they live,,,,,,,,we were alone till staff returned in morning and then left after dinner.
Battery powered and staff turned off fans in bure when we left so when we entered it was hot and stuffy.
Great thing was the nightly thunderstorms that that cooled the room and made sleeping great.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
18  Thank ScubaSueCalifornia
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My husband arrived after a lengthy and uncomfortable journey to Kulu Bay Resort. This was an alternate resort after our large dive group had booked into Beqa Lagoon Resort but that resort overbooked. We couldn't have landed in a better place. We were greated with the singing of the staff lined up on the dock. The staff couldn't do enough to make your stay comfortable including making alternate and flexible meal arrangements and diving at our convenience wherever we wanted to go. Our rooms were huge, clean and beautiful with a hammock on the wrap around porch at our bure, hardwood floors, two full bathrooms and a separate living room. The food was good and the kitchen was always willing to make a change if something on the menu was not appealing to a guest. The staff took us to their village which was a very worthwhile excursion welcoming us into their homes, new elementary school and cultural center.

Kulu Bay has its own protected bay which had great snorkeling. Their diving policy is not more than four divers to one dive master. They did everything for us.

Upon departure, Kulu Bay arranged for our transportation back to Nadi and even had drivers waiting for us on Nadi who took us all over the island knowledgeable in the local culture, history and customs.

Kulu Bay made a trip that started as a disaster one of our best trips ever!

• Stayed: June 2007
10  Thank DAC2
Reviewed May 5, 2007

We stayed at Kulu Bay Resort for one night and were aware that it would be quiet. The snorkelling off the beach was good, the location and beach are lovely. We like eating early so the meal times suit us.
So what went wrong? The food was truly terrible. We are polite people
but we could not eat the dish of cold spaghetti adorned with carrot and a grey piece of swordfish with freezer burn. The starter of pork wantons was luke warm and had an unpleasant texture and even the ice cream seemed past its freezer date, sugar and ice had separated at some point. We were given frozen glasses with our Fiji bitter which we eagerly poured and sipped until we realised that the glasses smelled strongly of fish. We negotiated an evening meal that we might
like; chicken, fried potatoes and veg and were a little taken aback to find flattened chicken thighs served up with not quite cooked fried potatoes and okra. The chocolate sponge pudding was served with
cold custard. Our breakfast omelette fared no better; it was hot but contained ham which we did not ask for and was quite possibly fried in the same fat as last nights chicken from the taste. Kula bay is billed as a 5 star resort with food to match. I love my food so, hungry , I took an objective look at things that were not quite 5 star about the rest of the resort.

The resort accommodation is lavish, but there are no facilities for tea and coffee or a fridge. Sitting inside is the best option to avoid the mozzies which yes, do inhabit Fiji but this resort more than most. I loved the towels specially imported from the USA but got
a little jaded reading the arch signs telling me not to steal them. The corner bath looked great but is at variance with more signs telling you to save water. The buildings although new are leaking and leaks do not enhance chipboard ceilings visually unavoidable because the build is traditional style even though the style stopped short at traditional materials and decorative finish. The porch swings are rusting and the glass windows need cleaning. This could be
such a lovely place with money spent on a chef , finishing the decor and staff training rather than Ralph Lauren towels, one of which I used to clean the light film of mould from the black leather sofa. There are other well run remote resorts with excellent food, genuine fijian buildings, swimming pools, well trained staff, flowers routinely placed everywhere, free snorkelling and good diving in the Fiji islands.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Uprising Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

Been to Kulu Bay Resort? Share your experiences!