“Comfortable & stunning views but could do more.”

Gazelle International Hotel
Perth, Australia
“Comfortable & stunning views but could do more.”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on a business trip June 2014. Reception and resturant staff more than helpful.
Room (7/10): Double room, very spacious, clean and comfortable. Shower room pretty decent also.
Amenities (5/10): Didn't check out the swimming pool.
The hotel has a games room and bar area. There appeared to be some refurb work happening here. Games room is in fact gambling machines, and the bar has a pool table. Not a very exciting place to hang out. Staff in this area weren't very engaging. Some background music might help.
Food (5/10): Had continetal breakfast. No complaints here.
For grub in the evening I ate in the cafe / bar area. Menu was boring. I could have been sitting in a hotel in the middle of Europe. I ordered the skewer tasting plate for 2, I was really hungry. Beef skewers were came out like Jerky (it's okay I like jerky and I was really hungry) and prawns were bland. Chicken was dry also. I hope the portions were a reduced version to suit one person, otherwise the plate wouldn't be ample for 2 people (especially after touring and exploring the island).
Price - ok.
Airport transfer (9/10): Friendly, helpful and efficient staff.

Suggestions: Incresed diversity of food choices.
Brighten up the bar area.

I'd stay again just for the room comfort!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cairns
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at other accommodation while in Kokopo but enjoyed the services offered by Gazelle Hotel.
We walked up to the hotel to find out about dining. On arrival, we were approached by a very friendly staff member who asked what he could do to help. Jackson was very knowledgeable and helped us with previewing menus.
But he was most persuasive on the history of the area and helped us organise a day's touring to Rabaul, around Gazelle Peninsula and climbing the volcano - definitely a highlight of our week's stay. I would highly recommend taking a day or half day with Jackson to explore the WWII history, original German settlement, volcano, and cultural history of the area.
We also dined in Emma's Restaurant one night and had beautiful seafood entrees and mains - very fresh and well priced. I had an issue with my crayfish main and the chef was right onto recooking my whole meal, he checked on us once I had my expected main and even gave us complimentary desserts to make up for the first problem.
Very happy with both product and service at the hotel for touring and meals. Thanks - we'll come back when next in Kokopo.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a top story room over looking the ocean for the best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed at the Gazelle Hotel last weekend to attend a wedding. We have a lovely room on the first floor with an ocean view . The bed was comfortable and the room had split system air conditioner, room safe, ensuite bathroom, soft towels and very helpful housekeeping staff. The restaurant has an excellent Indian chef who cooked delicious food. Espresso coffee best in ENB. Golf course just below the hotel and Ralum Country Club next door. Hotel is situated behind the famous Queen Emma stairs. Direct flights from Cairns to Rabaul - Monday and Friday -now make it a memorable long weekend trip - or longer.

Room Tip: Ocean view on first or second floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The coffee shop at the Gazelle International is the best spot in East New Britain for lunch (or coffee).

It is great value and is far ahead of its main rival at the other end of town (which struggles with sandwiches).

I have only stayed at the hotel a couple of nights - avoid Saturday nights as it is very, very noisy until about 3am due to the bar/disco. Other nights are okay. Rooms are of a high standard for Kokopo, everything worked.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lukim_58
Dehradun, India
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed in GI for only one night as I had to leave the other hotel I was staying due to lack of vegetarian food option.

Located near the golf course, the view is serenic. The hotel is new and you can feel it. Staff, as with people of Kokopo, are friendly.

I am giving it a 4 star, because I didnt like following things.

1. I had booked over phone, but when I reached there, there was no reservation. But since the hotel was empty, I didnt had any trouble.

2. Although my wife and I were staying there, they only gave one complimentary coupon for breakfast. They said the other one was available for 50 Kina (around 22 USD), which I declined to take. This was sort of mood spoiler and i tried to reason with them that in a standard room 2 people stay, but they wouldnt listen.

3. While checking out, a lady in the reception said, that I need to pay 50 kina as the room we had taken was used on twin share basis. Now the room I had taken had a double bed and a single bed. So it was capable of holding three people. Yet, it seemed bizarre that I had to pay for extra person for a room I had taken for 2 people. I told her that this is odd and she should check that I had a standard room. She seemed confused but then didnt charged my credit card for 50 kina more.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank PradWestside
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2014

On my couple trips back to PNG, I have stayed at Gazelle International Hotel couple of times.. Within those couple of stays at the hotel, I have found the the rooms are very modern, clean everyday with fresh towel intakes..

I agree with couple of reviews earlier on, yes the balconies of the rooms are very tiny, would might if they are little bit bigger and you can enjoy the outdoor environment especially if your room is face to the waterfront and looking straight towards the volcanoes.. That would be a BONUS!!!!!..

Yes and with the WIFI, I would like to pay for what the time on the card says.. because each time I buy 50 Kina and it doesn't give me enough time to be online.. Last two times I was there it only gave me 5-6 mins tops for my internet connection.. I hope the new promotion will be better than the last one.... Its so frustrating when that happens...

Yes on your first arrival there will be few hiccups, hey which hotel wouldn't..

I think another thing I would like to see too in rooms are fresh water bottle and fresh flowers each morning.. Hey Rabaul is surrounded by beautiful colourful wild flowers, that would brighten up the room and it does bring a smile to your quests.. Just a suggestions.. Hope you bring them on board and think about it..

It would be nice if you have a fresh tea cups and refills of variety of tea and coffee in your room ad plus electric kittle is filled and ready to use....

Another thing two it would be nice if the hotel extended to doing bungalows to accommodate families and big group travellers.. It would be fantastic.. Just a suggestion..:)

Okay to the staff and management, its so nice to be welcomed into the hotel and always friendly bunch of group to mingled with and they tried their best to accommodate you and attend to your needs and also make you fell at home. I mean that...:)

Food: Wow!! where do I begin.. Food is fantastic.. THANK YOU CHEF LUIS... I recommend the paella, NZ mussels and fish pie...Please do try that and see what you think of these dishes. And Coffee is the best at the Gazelle IH..

Overall with my two times staying in the hotel I would recommend it to others if you traveling by yourself or with friends..

Cheerio
Happy Traveller...:)

Room Tip: Yes to choose a good room, with one of the earlier reviewers, recommend the far end rooms they are b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Recently I was in Kokopo, East New Britian PNG and stayed at the Gazelle International Hotel. The accommodation was modern, clean and adequate. The staff were pleasent. The restaurant provides reasonable food particularly seafood including lobster. As with most PNG's restaurants the wine list is appalling and what you can get, is expensive. The accommodation cost is reasonable value for money by PNG standards. The conference venues and facilities were adequate although the aircondtioning really struggled with the 50 person workshop I was running. Downside, the rooms vary in size and configuration, the resort is seperated from the beach by a golf course which makes it difficult to access, the balconies are tiny, there is no elevator or tourist desk.

Room Tip: Ask for and end room which appear to be larger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business