“Amazing”

$115.00*
and up
Small-Group Full-Day Easter Island Highlights South and East
More attraction details
Owner description: 15 Of The Island's Famous Moai Statues Stand Here In A Military Lineup Upon A Flat Rock Platform.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

As others have noted, this is one of the best spots on the island. We went early morning and had the entire place to ourselves. When we drove by in the afternoon the place was packed and it would have been a much different experience had we not gone earlier. We weren't there at the right time of year for sunrise but I'm sure it would be fantastic.

3  Thank looseendsmakeknots
Write a ReviewReviews (1,643)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Not too many people on site early morning sunrise, got great shots and good setup... Afternoons are a different story! CROWDED!!! As this is the really popular AHU to see...

2  Thank marquestra
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited Ahu Tongariki as part of a guided tour during the day and were left breathless by the majesty of this site. It encompasses the 15 Moai and the 'travelling Moai' which stands apart from the main platform. The sight of the 15 Moai with the backdrop of the ocean is stunning and sums up the beauty of Easter Island. After consulting our guidebook we hired a car for 24 hours from Oceanic car hire and visted Ahu Tongariki for sunrise - it was well worth getting up at 5 am to see the sun rise behind the Moai as it gives the site a whole new perspective.
This is the classic site on Easter Island and it is not difficult to see why - a must for any trip.

4  Thank andyn656
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A not-to-be-missed location, the line-up of Moai by the sea. We went mid-afternoon and I took a nap lying down in front of the statues. There were wild horses wandering outside the area. The Moai here look like a community of the inhabitants of long ago. When I woke up from my nap my now-husband walked me down to the water and proposed! I will never forget this place ;) We were here in March of 2012.

2  Thank windycitywoman4
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've only seen the site in books and always wanted to come to the island and see these magical statues in the flesh. I'm happy to say that I have. Like everyone else has mentioned, this is probably the reason why you came to the island. The day I saw this site, it was overcast and very windy. At least it was not raining. The magic shot can be taken from the left most part of the platform. There is a small mound where you can stand on and seem to be at the same level of the Moais.

They really are impressive and massive. It was surreal that I was there. The tour I was at gave us 45mins to take in the views and take photos. Afterwards, I just saw down and stared and wondered how it would have been to be living there so many many years ago.

I would have liked to have witnessed the sunrise at this site as I was told it was impressive with the colors. However, the time I was here, it was not the case. So, I missed out on that.

Overall, if you were to pick one place to see in the island, this is it!

2  Thank mariessima