“mostly good”

Residencial Vaianny
Ranked #6 of 45 Easter Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Liked the location - very near the centre but up a side street. Very nice gardens. Wifi not working but computer available for use. Hot showers and Use of kitchen and fridge great. Use of shower room on day of departure excellent. Bookings for day tours. Pick up and drop off from airport. My room was pretty small but comfortable. There are no fans but comfortable enough at night.

I think my experience is different from other reviewers - I booked on hostelworld - 5 nights at $37 per night which was just within my budget. Received an email a couple of days later saying that price was incorrect and I had to pay $120 extra as I was staying during festival and price had been added incorrectly to hostelworlds site. After several emails we agreed on $60 extra for the whole 5 nights. Not a great start. 5 months before arrival my plans changed and I emailed to change to 4 nights - this was acknowledged as OK. When I arrived they were expecting me to stay for 5 nights. Much frustration and I had to prove I had sent the amendment email - which I did. Then due to the initial pricing error more frustration calculating out what I was to pay. All sorted and then I was told I wasn't to get the breakfast and if I wanted it it would be $10 extra per day. A day later I mentioned that hostelworlds website said breakfast was included and grudgingly for my last 2 mornings was given breakfast. In summary I experienced very poor reservations ability which was frustrating and their response to this frustration was less than professional.

Other notes on Easter island - pretty much everything is imported and it is not a value for money destination. Highly recommend going during festival - amazing. Day tour of island is 70 $ but take out the lunch at the tour companies office (!) reduces it to $50. No public transport so hire bikes if you can . taxi to the nice beach is 30$ return for the day but I hitched very easily a couple of times.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank GilJackieG

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Place is cheap and ok but it is not somewhere you really want to hang out. However, if you have travelled all the way to Easter Island then you should not be spending your time in the room.
Host was warming and welcoming – we were met at the airport and she helped arrange all our activities. It did everything we need but nothing more.

The town does have an issue with wild dogs that follow you around but that is nothing to do with the hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderinggiraffe
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I can only totally recommend this place. We entered Easter Island by ship and not by plane. We did not have an exact time when we will be disembarking the ship and we did arrive about two hours later to the island as we initially thought. Nevertheless one of the owners was there in order to pick us up. I thought this was great customer service given that he did not know our arrival time. The hostel is very close to the main street. Very clean and the owner Keka is very friendly and informative. Although there is a sign stating that they will change the linen only every second day, they changed it every day. And we had every day clean towels! The breakfast was fantastic too. Ham, cheese, bread, fruits from the island and every day a different type of fresh fruit. The last day Keka picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. One of the best hostels I ever stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bego75
Reviewed January 10, 2014

After around 30 hours flight we reached this wonderful place, we have stayed in residencial vaianny for three nights.

We reached the host at the airport and drove us around the main street, introduce us the shops, places and showed us the spots around. We stayed in a three beds room, is clean and there has a shared kitchen so you can cook there. The host gave us a welcoming papaya juice is really good taste, have a heart-warm feeling.

We have tour around the island and really wonderful we have the chance to explore this mystery place.

One day the wifi in the house is not working and the host replaced the router in the next day, is really not expected and much appreciated. Lovely, and highly recommend!! Still can't believe I have been there until now. Great experience, love the people, love the island, and love residencial vaianny!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Located in the middle of the Hanga Roa town just off the main street, this lovely little hotel provides warmth and coziness like your own home. It provides clean and comfortable room, a pick up and drop off service to and from the airport. The breakfast is simply amazing. They even have WiFi which I honestly didn't expect in the middle of such a remote place. A lot of people may be complaining about the WiFi speed but you have to keep in mind the remoteness of Easter Island before you make such judgements. Rene, the owner of the hotel is such a gentleman. He arranged a great tour for us - Patricio is one of the best guides you can ask for. I'd love to go back to this magical island at least one more time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed 1 week at Vaianny, the location is great, 1 block from main street and 3 blocks from the ocean. The room was clean, hot water all the time and nice bed to rest at night. Breakfast was good, local fruits are served daily, bread, coffee and juice. Wifi sucks, but is not only here, the entire island has bad internet connection.
We spent Christmas night at Vaianny and Joahanna made a Rapa Nui BBQ to share with all the guests, We met other guests from other parts of the world and everybody was amazed with the charming of the local people. Johanna and Keka always find us a last minute reservation for Tours, restaurants and Cabalgata. All recommendations were right. We rented a car from her and it was cheaper than the other businesses.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the guest house here and thought it was the ideal spot to explore the island. It started off well right from the start with a lei greeting at the airport by Rene, a quick tour of Hanga Roa and then breakfast (we had landed at 5 am) where Rene discussed various options and places to explore on the island. .Vaianny is just a block from the main street, Tamu Tekena, where most of the restaurants are and it is just a couple of blocks from the harbor. One of the great things was hanging out in the back garden of the Vaianny in the afternoon after a long day sightseeing, reheating empanadas in Vaianny's small kitchen (you have full access), kicking back with a couple of beers and talking with the other guests from all over the world. The rooms are nice we had three beds in ours and an in suite bathroom with a small shower - it was nice being so close to Hanga Roa, you could not beat the spot (or the price).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple