“Amazing hospitality”

Ranked #5 of 47 Easter Island B&B and Inns
San Cristobal, Galapagos
“Amazing hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I feel compelled to write this after reading a couple of poor recent reviews. I cannot address the concerns about overbooking as it didn't happen to me, nor did I hear of it happening to anyone else. But what I can say is that Vaianni is a wonderful place to stay. The owner Joanna & her cousin Cecilia are incredibly friendly & informative hosts.

As part of the check-in process Joanna will give you a quick driven tour of the town & at the Residencial Cecilia will give a detailed & thorough explanation of all the sights on the island.

I was staying in the shared accommdation section & despite there being one bathroom for 7 people, it was kept as clean as possible. A slight problem with the shower is that it sometimes turns cold for a few mins but it always comes back hot.

The people I met staying here were very friendly & there is a real social atmosphere in the garden where there is a shaded area to sit. There is a great kitchen you can use if you want to keep costs low.

The best thing about this place for me was the amazing breakfast. Fruit, bread, jam, cheese, ham, avocado, tomato, eggs, fresh juice. Everything was so fresh!

To address some points in the previous review, I spoke to Cecilia about the points raised & she said that reviewer never raised those concerns at the time. If they werent happy & had asked to change rooms they probably couldve worked something out. Also, regarding cleaning, my room was not cleaned on sunday, but I would understand if some rooms were because PEOPLE CHECKOUT EVERYDAY! ;) And regarding the knowledge of Joanna & Cecilia, everything they told me was accurate & helpful.

So, in summary, Vaianni is an awesome place to stay. Your Easter Island experience will be enhanced by staying here.

Room Tip: Shared/dorms only have 1 bathroom for up to 7 people. Also, all guests use this toilet when they ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Vishal P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Our experience with Vaianny was very poor indeed.

Having confirmed our accomodation months prior to our arrival, we were continually emailed to confirm again: not something which fills you with confidence.

We were met at the airport as promised. Cecelia who met us was charming; she arrived bearing flower garlands for us and holding a board with our names on it. There were also a couple of other names on the sheet - when I asked if they hadn't arrived as we made our way to the bus, I was told that Vaianny often overbooks and sends the overflow to a sister hostel. Chatting to other travellers on the island, my wife and I were amazed by quite how many people had had this treatment. One man who'd been put in the other hotel said that he knew of no-one there who'd originally booked to be there.

The room we were allocated was tiny. During our time in Easter Island we were lucky enough to visit quite a few of the alternatives available, and pretty much all of them were cheaper and had larger rooms.

Room 7, ours, is part of the main building of the guesthouse. Cruicially it shares an internal wall with the housekeeper's bedroom - this wouldn't be a problem, except that the lady in question snores very loudly indeed, and continuously. I am not exaggerating when I say that we did not have anything approaching a full nights sleep during our entire stay.

Cleaning at the guesthouse is stated as being carried out every 2 days. When we were asked why our room hadn't been serviced on our second day (of a 3 night stay) we were told that cleaning doesn't take place on a Sunday - something hard to believe when we spotted the cleaner working on other rooms. It felt a little like they just didn't want to clean our room the day before we left. Again, in other countries this might not be an issue, but in one where your toilet paper ends up in a bin, we didn't consider this acceptable and had to insist it be cleaned.

Last but not least, the staff's knowledge of their town seems to be a little lacking. For example, in the time we were there, we tried to buy fresh fish every morning and were given a different time to turn up at the market every day, all of these times were wrong as we were informed by a local fisherman. The owner did offer to ask her cousin to get us some fish and when we came back in the evening expecting fish we were told she is only at the hostel on Sunday mornings even though she promised to let us know in the evening. Very poor indeed.

Take our advice - there are cheaper, better places much closer to the seafront on the island who will also act as though they value your stay.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, make sure it's not in room 7
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dave_bish
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed here during christmas and it was a very good experience.

The rooms are basic but good. The best about this place is the host, Joanna is so kind. We arrived on Christmas evening and were directly invited to join her, her family and the rest of the guests for Christmas dinner and it was great! Also, when we arrived she first did a mini tour around the town (just to point out some places), which was also highly appreciated.

As she is Rapa Nui, she was also able to inform us about the best places to go for sunset and sunrise.

Really good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ulm, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I found this place via google on a outdated webpage which showed 15 USD/Person as room rate. The new official webpage has new prices 35 USD/Person - yes times have changed, inflation on Easter Island was higher than rest of the Chile.

However it seem to me a good value.... ca. 48 hours after the first reply confiming "I have rooms for your dates" I told them "we book" - reply was "we don't have any rooms with private bath available only with shared bathroom" - I replied by "we book the shared bathroom" and the answer 1 day later was "they have been gone"...

I don't know what's the islanders way of doing business but definetly this is not what I'd expect from a Residencia, B&B, hostel, hotel or however you call these businesses?

If these folks think they can get higher rates or longer minimum stays for the season in December (low season what I understood) they should also clearly state this from the beginning and not first confirm, then confirm something else and then say "we are booked out"?

Highly NOT recommended!!! Go elsewhere where you can trust the confirmations!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank joe1968
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I had a very nice experience at Easter Island, mostly thanks to the help of Claudio who works at the hostal. The rooms are good, it's well situated and very quite. Lovely breakfast and very clean throughout. Also Thanks a lot to my Rapa Nui friend Terry Lee who took me to visit so much beautiful and wonderful places on the Easter Island. I'm sure I will be back again to Vaianny and spend more polynesian lifestyle on Rapa Nui.

Room Tip: Comfort Enviroment with warm heard Rapa Nuis.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Alex1229
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Perfectly located in the centre of Hanga Roa but not on the main road so nice and quiet at night. Really friendly staff in Claudio & Joanna who are happy to recommend tours and help you get the most out of your trip without getting rinsed off the tourist agencies. They also pick you up from the airport and give you a quick tour around the town.

Clean room & bathroom, shared kitchen, garden to relax in. Perfect!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is a great hostel. It is centrally located in the middle of Hanga Roa, bring a torch as the street lightling is very intermittent.
The greeting at the airport really starts you off well and then it keeps getting better. A qucik tour through the mian town before you go to the hostel. I had a dorm room, which was all to myself! Off season has it´s perks sometimes! There is a communal bathroom downstairs with a powerful hot shower. The kitchen is well equipped with all you could need for a few days. Big fridge and plenty of crockery/utensils etc. Bring dry food with you if you want to keep the cost down as it does cost quite alot, everything is flown in after all.The wifi connection is stronger than some I´ve had to use in mainland South America but there isn´t an internet terminal.
There is a Chilean guy called Claudio who is working there at the moment. He is excellent, he does all that he can to make sure you have a great stay, advising on restaurants, tours, shows etc.
I took a tour with Patrizzio, a Chilean guy who has lived on the island for 40 years and is married to a Rapa Nui. He has his own VW camper and takes you all over the island. He has good English too if you don´t fancy your Spanish. What´s lovely is that he relaly takes his time to explain things and point things out. There´s nothing flash about him or the vehicle but if you want to see all that the island has to offer I would definitely recommend taking a tour with him.
Finally, saving the best for last the breakfasts are AMAZING!!! Don´t expect to return lighter than when you arrived. Every morning the ladies prepare a feast for you. Tea and Coffee, a selection of fresh fruits, cheese and turkey or ham, avocado, fresh bread and cereal. There really is so much that you don´t necesarily need to eat lunch.
The only recommendations I would make about the hostel are-
1) The dorm room doesn´t have a ceiling fan. This wasn´t a problem for me as it was off season but I would imagine that in Summer it could get quite hot in there.
2) The kitchen and communal areas were great as there were only ever 4 of us at any one point but again if it was full there might be quite a cramped feel if you were all cooking etc.
3) Little things like no hand soap in the communal bathrooms or a hand towel which I think would have been nice, especially as they provide proper towels for guests.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo