“Highly recommended”
Review of Inaki Uhi Hotel

Inaki Uhi Hotel
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Staying at this hotel made my visit to the island a pleasure.
The owners, a family, are very helpful and nice. The place is simple but beautiful, fresh and clean. I choosed to use the kitchen instead of getting breakfast for the flexibility in when and what to eat for breakfast.
Alvaro, the manager, not only is very nice, talks fluently english but is also a very good turist guide. I highly recommend his tours.
For the price, quality and service there is no better.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tokyo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel was perfect for us, clean and comfortable. We loved sharing one of the large and well equipped kitchens with two women from Santiago. We all chatted while preparing food and our Spanish improved. We prepared and ate breakfast in the kitchen, eating out for most other meals. Loved the sitting areas outside where we could chat with other guests and Alvaro. Location was great. Could walk to many restaurants, the grocery stores, church, museum and other sites. Alvaro was the most amazing tour guide we have ever had. Very flexible and supportive. We went out for two half day and one full-day tours with two to four other guests. Stopped along the road to pick and eat fruit. He was very encouraging and even though we are seniors, we felt able to climb into the caves and high above the volcano because of his encouragement. He answered all of our questions and was as important to our visit as were the moai which we walked among with him. Enjoyed meeting his parents and grandmother. The hotel had a homey feeling!

Room Tip: No pool nor fitness center. Not a negative. Could not eliminate a rating for them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to stay at to anyone. I have been to 19 countries and this is by far the worst place I have stayed at. Their web page states that they have a snack bar/deli. Their is no such thing at all. Also the hotel amenities consisted of one small hotel size of hand soap and thats all--nothing else. It also states that breakfast was available for a surcharge but none was offered at all. There was a box of corn flakes in a small kitchen but no milk. And it also states room servive but I have no idea why ? I would be careful of staying not only here but it seemed that most places to stay on Easter Island were of very poor standards unless you are willing to stay at one of the very expensive hotels. Beware of the Inaki-Uhi at all costs.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Alvaro A, Manager at Inaki Uhi Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
This is the first time we receive a negative review and I realise people have different expectations. Easter Island is a remote location, perhaps the most isolated island in the world. With the means we have on this remote island we try to provide the best possible accommodation and service. My guests are my priority and I try to make their trip as special as possible. It i not luxurious, but is clean, central, and friendly. Even the person that has written this review said he was so pleased before he left. I even contacted my bank executive to exchange money for him, but people are people and we are all different. Thanks
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

It has taken me far too long to sit down and do this review but I am so glad that I finally am because anyone planning a trip to Easter Island should know how great it is to stay here.

I stayed for four nights in October 2011. I was a single, female, 22 year old travelling alone for the first time. Appart from a couple of nights in Santiago, Chile, this was the very beginning of my trip. I was therefore excited but very apprehensive.

I was met outside the airport by Alvaro's father with a flower necklace and I immediately felt at ease. We made the short trip from the airport to the cabanas and I was really pleased to see that the rooms took a rectangular form all looking in on a lovely courtyard garden with outdoor furniture which was already being used by other guests; as it turned out this area was a great place to meet other people.

I had requested a private room with ensuite bathroom. My room was big and spacious, it was made up as a triple room and would have comfortably fit three people. There was a table and chairs, a wardrobe and french doors onto the garden. The decor was reasonably basic. Both the room and the shower room were VERY clean which was nice. Alvaro's father brought me some bananas from the tree's in the garden to keep in my room and keep me going until dinner time. They were delicious and this was a really nice gesture!

There are comunal kitchens (also very clean) which are very useful if you are on a budget. I quickly made friends and we ate out nearly every night as there are great places to eat on the island (I was loving all the tuna..!) Even if you plan to eat out most of the time it's nice to have a place where you can make a packed lunch for the days when you will be sightseeing.

On the subject of sightseeing... Alvaro's tours are an absolute must!! I had been wanting to visit Easter Island for a long time and as a history buff I couldn't wait to get out and explore. I wasn't sure about how to go about seeing the island- you can rent a car or a quad bike and go it alone, do a tour with a group which you can book via the tourist office or you if you are lucky enough to be staying at Inaki Uhi then you can go out with Alvaro and other guests at the cabanas. I highly reccomend you do this. Our group size never exceeded 5 people and not only did we see all the major sights, we also got off the beaten track and we had the benefit of hearing about the island's history from an islander. (One of the most amazing alternative sights I saw on the island was a wonderful cove which created a natural pool with a waterfall everytime the sea crashed against the rocks.) Alvaro's English is perfect and having him show me around the island really made the trip.

Alvaro's tours were very reasonably priced and the cost was just added to the price of the hotel bill- which was also very reasonable. Easter Island is not a cheap place to go in general but in comparison to what other establishments on the island were charging I felt the price was very fair.

The hotel is situated on the main street of the island, close to the shops, restaurants and a very short walk from the harbour. The archealogical museum is walkable. The beach is not within walking distance but you don't want to stay near the beach as otherwise you are so far from everything else. The location is perfect for seeing everything the island has to offer.

Four nights is long enough to fit in all the main sights, just..! But I could have easily spent a life time on Rapa Nui. I think that a week would suit someone who wants to see the main archealogical areas at a leisurely pace plus maybe go for a long walk up Terevaka, do some scuba diving or spend a few lazy days at the beach. Whatever you do, make sure you see a sun set down by the harbour area.

All in all I had an amazing time in this very special place and I credit much of that to Alvaro, his family and my choice to stay at Inaki Uhi. If you are planning to travel to Rapa Nui, especially if you are a solo traveller, I cannot recommend this hotel enough!! Just book it, it will be a very good decision..!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank BathAnnieB
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed for a week during late March/early April, 2012. I had a great experience at thge Cabanas Inaki Uhi. Alvaro does a great job giving the tours and making the guests feel comfortable. The place has a nice feel, and it is easy to meet other travelers here, if that is what you are seeking.

The property is probably more basic than what some people want (no tv or pool), but this is exactly what I was looking for. The rooms are clean, the bed was very comfortable and I liked hearing the wind going through the palm trees at night.

If you're a solo traveler, it's easy to meet people here as there are several open air, covered pavilions in the central courtyard where guests congregate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Eric C
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed for four nights April/May 2011. It was great and the perfect place to stay. Alvaro made me feel right at home the moment I exited the airport. He gives tours of the island and his are the best because he has the ability to give an intimate tour with a local's perspective. The wifi worked pretty well. The kitchen was nice and there are several, which leaves plenty of cooking space. The room was spacious and comfortable. It's right on the main drag so you are close to everything.
They were working on a breakfast pavilion when I stayed, I can't wait to return one day and see the updates.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank budninja
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was there some moths ago. The owners of this place are friendly and the place is clean and confortable. there aren't problems with the arrive time each day and is in the island main street.
The place doen't have gym or pool but, in the iseland you don't going to need this, because you can do gym outside and the sea is with worm wathe and it is very near.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business