“Don't go there”
Review of Chez Cecilia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Easter Island
Chez Cecilia
Ranked #39 of 46 Easter Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The main problem at Cecilia's place is Cecilia. We went from Argentina, so language was not a problem. A we stayed for a week, we could see over and over how tourists arriving there were ripped of systematically. Cecilia, the host, makes everything to save money of your staying. E.g., she removes the toilet paper at nights, and she stops providing hot water during your shower, so that you don't spear its resources. Surprisingly, she manages to look kind, even when she lies about the conditions (e.g. she promise individual room but add guests into your room; there's a disco at 50 meters, so there is noise all night long). Lots of places around Cecilia's place were surprised about how many guests leave the place the second night because of Cecilia's lies.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PabloTripAd

Reviewed November 14, 2009

we booked it in airport, bad bad location, over priced.

Ceicilia is not a nice host.... dirty room with broken shower head. stay away from her.

We stay at the annex of hotel orongo the next day, it was nice. and cheaper than ceicilia place

• Stayed: November 2009
5  Thank IanCCCCC
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We stayed at one of Cecilias newer pension/hostels so I can't comment on the other ones that are farther away from town.

My husband and I planned to stay at the Camping Minihoa location because we brought our own tents and such. Upon arrival at the airport I spotted the Camping Minihoa desk and immediately went over to book. Cecilia met me with a big smile and welcomed me and told me she would drive us over. A three minute drive from the airport and we were there. As we started setting up our tent, I kept thinking that it looked different from the pictures I had seen on this site. I went for a shower and was pleasantly surprised that is was clean and had hot water. We later went to explore some of the town and came across the actual Camping Minihoa site which was very rocky and muddy and looked quite empty. It turns out we were at Chez Cecilia by mistake. After seeing the Camping place we were thrilled with our mistake. Cecilia and her granddaughter Tama made us feel like part of the family. Tama combed my hair after a shower and Cecilia made me some pastry for breakfast and it was just so easy and nice to be there. We were so close to town and restaurants and right by some moais. As well, my hubby wanted to get a tattoo and Tama's friend was a tattoo artist who stopped by to show us his portfolio. He is very talented and we went the next day to get his tattoo done. All in all, we were super happy that we ended up here and we totally blown away by the warmth and hospitality of the Rapa Nui people. Cecilia and her family bend over backwards to make you feel welcome and happy. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank restlessinOntario
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I just got back from a week in Rapa Nui (This is the real name of Easter Island).
I did not book a hotel in adavance. I relied on the hotel owners to wait in the airport.
Well, the plane from Santiago was 3 hours late, and we got to Rapa Nui in the middle of a stormy night. Only 2 hotel owners were in the airport. One of them was Cecilia, which promised a wonderfull room near the main street.
I took it. What a mistake!
The room was ugly. Empty white walls, with a dead cockroach waiting for me in the room.
No TV, radio or pictures in the room. Not even a chair.
After a short shower with very weak water flow (at least it was hot!), I went to sleep.
I woke up in the middle of night when the rain leaked on me from roof. (I asked some compensation/discount for that night, but got the answer: "It's La Natura!")
In the morning I discovered that "near the main street" means 15 minutes of walking in the muddy roads to get to the center of town. In the evening I will discover that it is the DARK muddy roads...
There where no restaurant in the area. There is nothing in the area except a small store where you can buy a soft dring and a snack for dinner.
After a long day of traveling, if you want a sandwich or more you need to take a taxi to the center (and back). Near the main street, remember?

Bottom line: There are other places on the island. Nearer. Cheaper. Nicer. Better.

The island itself is amazing!! The people in the street are friendly, and Moais are overwhelming. The scenery is beautiful, and the story of the Rapa Nui people is fascinating.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank sadde1
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I can only confirm what other guests commented on Chez Cecilia. In the end of my stay, I left with rather mixed feelings. I booked in davance at Senora Cecilias Residencial Place and was quite pleased about the standard and the hot shower. Breakfast is very basic. The second night she was asking me, if I could move to another place sharing accomodation which I didn´t mind at all, only to move back again for the third and last night. She seems to be frequently unorganised with her bookings as well as I can confirm that leaving times for excursions are rather vague...and when I returned to the Residencial Place, it has been that she only had made the bed instead of cleaning the room which was quite annoying. I expected more than a discount and when I was about to check-out. The funny thing was that she didn´t feel ashamed of wanting to charge me the full price at all! I argued with her, about having stayed at another place for one night, being returned to a room that wasn´t made and not having completed all of the confirmed excursions, and she only agreed to give a really small discount for the night that I was in shared accomodations. So, although I really enjoyed the beautiful nature of the island, I left with rather mixed feelings from the experience at Chez Cecilia.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Annahu
Reviewed April 1, 2009

A bit hard to give a firm rating, as my experience was mixed, at best.

I booked at the airport on the basis of photos shown to me by Sra. Cecilia. Transportation was provided, but when we arrived at the place where I was to be lodged, it was far from the image I had. While liveable, the room was cramped and not overly clean. As it turned out, Cecilia has more than one place. Where I was brought was essentially a campsite for backpackers but has rooms as well of a basic sort. I was brought there because the main residencial was full for that day, with the intention of moving me the next day (I had booked for three nights). Needless to say, I was unhappy, though Cecilia did give me a hefty discount on our agreed rate for this night.

When I was transferred the next morning to the residencial proper, I was enchanted. The room was new, spacious, very clean, with an impeccable bathroom with hot and cold shower, surrounded by a lovely garden. Breakfast, continental, was substantial and graciously served. It was farther from the center than the campsite but at most a 15-minute walk. Cecilia offered tours of the island as well as informationabout options for activities, and was overall a pleasant hostess. (She seemed pretty popular with the young backpackers at the campsite as well, as she was accomodating of requests.) Transportation to the airport for flights out is provided. Punctuality over agreed-upon times for meetings or activities could be rather cavalier, though.

I would say, a stay there can be recommended IF you can pin down all the details of your booking clearly from the start.

The ratings below apply to the main residencial where I stayed for two nights.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2008

It was something we have never experienced (IN A VERY BAD sence of course)! We booked the hostel for 6 nights in advance via internet, and we got twice a confirmation from Mrs. Cecilia about booking, indicating that the price (it was 350 USD) included picking us up from the airport (standard Easter Island tradition as it had appeared later), and other things. But....surprise, surprise...nobody came to the airport, when we finally found the hostel (!) the door was closed and Cecillia didn't show up till midnight. Of course we went to look another place to stay...

Stayed: July 2008