“Loved La Portena”

Estancia La Portena de Areco
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here in February at the end of my travels around glorious Argentina. I can safely say it was the highlight of my trip. Beautiful beyond belief, friendly and the most fantastic food and hospitality. I see reading down the review chain that some visitors have found it a bit shabby. All I can say is, if you're looking for five star, up to the minute, bland room characterless monogrammed towel, luxury, this isn't for you. If you like charm, history and authentic glamour then look no further. I cannot recommend La Portena highly enough and thanks to all the staff and fellow guests who made it such a wonderful experience for a tired british girl, with travel fatigue. I came away,reinvigorated and very very happy and would return in a heart beat.

Gracias
Emma x

Room Tip: Ricardo Guirrales room looked wonderful. I stayed in the main house on the ground floor and it was...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank LondonEmc
There are newer reviews for Estancia La Portena de Areco

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent one day and overnight at the Estancia and loved every minute of it. Beautiful setting and rooms, comfortable beds, huge bathrooms and so much history in this place!
The asado was out-of-this-world and the other meals equally good (although it was so much that by the time we left I didn't have to eat for a good while). Everything is home-made, including the dulce de leche! The owner and staff are wonderful and very personable. Their horses are excellently trained and you can go ride as much as you want! Their guide took me out on 2 extra solo trail rides so I could have some nice cantering time :-)
This place is definitely worth a visit and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Steffi L
Reviewed January 19, 2013

La Portena is totally laid back and relaxed and it takes a while to wind down upon arrival especially if your coming from Buenos Aires, but once you relax and start to enjoy you dont want to leave! The family who run the estancia, as well as all the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They explain the program of the day upon arrival and you can do as much as or little as you please. Horse-riding, swimming pool, relaxing as well as extremely generous and tasty meals. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed every minute. Others just go for the day but in my opinion its worth staying over. The two bedrooms upstairs in the Casa Pequena were lovely, clean and well kept. The bathroom downstairs was a bit old but it was clean. You need to have a relaxed attitude and like a farm atmosphere...cats, dogs, chickens etc all wondering about, flies of course, would be a bit strange if there werent! Definitely recommend it for families even with very small children.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Caro624
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Our two day stay at Estancia La Porteña was the highlight of our trip to Argentina. Arranging the trip via email with Catalina was easy. One half of the cost of the stay had to be wired to a Spanish bank account ahead of time. We were a little worried about sending the money but in the end everything was legitimate and worked out perfectly. Our rooms were upgraded when we arrived. We stayed in room numbers 1 & 2. They are true to the mid to late 1800's so you felt as though you were back in that time period. We were fed every two hours it seemed. Homemade empanadas (the best we had in Argentina), gaucho cooked Padilla, made to order breakfast and great red wine. Day guests joined us for lunch and we met folks from many different countries. At the noon meal you are entertained by the estancia gauchos singing and dancing typical songs. The horseback riding was a true highlight which we did several times a day. Best of all was the beautiful border collie family who adopted you the minute you stepped out of the car. We arranged private car transportation to and from our Buenos Aires hotel through Catalina with a wonderful driver Mr. Pezet. We left totally refreshed and vowing to return someday.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank sugardaddygpa
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Spent a couple of days here to escape the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires. A beautiful estancia run and staffed by very friendly people. Felt right at home. Fortunate to have the bedroom with access to Ricardo Guiraldes' study; very atmospheric, a real taste of times gone by; tremendous vista. Horse riding, coach ride, music, singing, asado, gaucho horsemanship displays - all good fun. We took the door to door return service from the city with excellent, English speaking guide Gerardo; well worth it for convenience and the intensive lesson in history, politics and geography!

What could be better? We were both badly bitten by mosquitoes despite repellant pad in the room and body spray; obviously need something stronger. Bird life was great; it would have been good to have some interpretation. Perhaps a couple of umbrellas by the pool.

All in all, a great experience though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent a week at La Porteña with our toddler and cant wait to come back. The place is a wonderful estancia for active resting with its beautiful scenery and variety of activities. Our toddler could be left to walk around with plenty of space for her to play and run. We rode horses, walked around the estancia, played some polo, rode on a carriage, visited San Antonio de Areco and had plenty of time to talk and spend time with the gauchos. The staff was incredible and very attentive. We cant wait to come back!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jpgabon
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Sorry to say I was was terribly disappointed in my visit this past Saturday. I visited for a day trip two years ago with my mom and I was amazed and delighted, this time I brought my husband. It started off bad and went downhill quickly. It had rain quite a lot the day before, the long road leading the estancia from the paved road was not passable by anything other than a four wheel drive vehicle. Our driver could not bring us directly to the estancia. The owners told him to be at the road at noon and they would drive us with their four wheel. Well they were 15 others waiting there also when we arrived at the meeting place. We had to wait an hour in the car for the owner to bring other to the estancia and return for us. We were placed in a Toyota 4runner with 7
others and the owner driving. At this point my husband wanted to out and not to visit the
estancia. We should have just left with out driven and went to San antonio de Areco.
After a long very uncomfortable ride on the muddy road, we arrived at the estancia. It was not
in the best repair. My husband could not believe I enjoyed this place before. On my visit two
years ago, they were filming a commercial for the estancia. Maybe that is why things were so
perfect then. This visit The food was not edible. I cannot eat raw sausage. Neither could my
husband. I did get a piece of chicken that was good. I asked six or seven times for a diet coke
and was told they would bring it to me. After an hour and a half of being told it was coming, I
asked again and was told this time they do not have any. The food selection was far less than
before and quality much less. So for $80 each I had an empanada (not bad), tiny piece of
chicken and few pieces of tomatoes and a bit of lettuce with water. I don't drink wine. They do
have wine. Tea was served with tasty desserts. A goucho show was done. Service this time was in the barn. Cute but crowded with tourists. Not comfortable nor pleasant. The show outside was far less then my last visit also. At 4 we were told that the owners would drive us out to the road to meet our driver who is waiting for us. Then we were asked to wait 15 minutes. this was not
true. we waited until 6 to get out. I was very sorry we went. My husband is laughing at least. This will be a laugh for a long time.

Room Tip: Don't go after it rains, dont go on weekends. Go when they are filming a commercial.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel y Spa San Carlos
Hotel y Spa San Carlos
#5 of 9 in San Antonio de Areco
Pampas de Areco Resort de Campo & Spa
Pampas de Areco Resort de Campo ...
#2 of 9 in San Antonio de Areco
Estancia La Sofia
Estancia La Sofia
#3 of 9 in San Antonio de Areco
Estancia La Cinacina
Estancia La Cinacina
#4 of 20 in San Antonio de Areco

Been to Estancia La Portena de Areco? Share your experiences!