“A beautiful, most relaxing and indulging place”
Review of Estancia La Sofia

Estancia La Sofia
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
“A beautiful, most relaxing and indulging place”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Me and my husband have stayed at La Sofia for three nights - and we have before hardly ever slept so well, eaten so well and relaxed so well... The owners have looked after us with real care, we felt truly spoilt in this secluded tranquil ranch. The accomodation was cosy, clean and styled in traditional argentinian fashion, while the design of our room with a fireplace and a huge panoramic window into the garden was just the icing on the cake...
We have had some polo lessons and did few hours of horse riding and have enjoyed every minute of it and felt privilidged being tought by the owner who is a former player for argentina polo team!
Beautiful location, gourmet food, and an inviting swimming pool - it was just very hard to leave and we are already planning to come back!
J & J from West Sussex, England

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JitkaW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buenos Aires
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Best:

Excelente reception by the owners. Excelente asado. Lovely swiming pool. Great polo course.
Amazing relaxing view. Tipical argentine farm.
Dogs, rabbit, plenty of singing birs, horses... what else can you ask? ok, exellent wine.

Lest: bath tube, but shure is repaired now.
No room phone. No freedge in room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pedroacatalano
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have stayed and taken polo lessons at several estancias in Argentina. Polo has historically been a game played by men. My desire at age 58 to learn polo has been met with mild sarcasm at most estancias. Only recently have women in Argentina been playing polo. I brought three teenage girls, all riders, to La Sofia for a day of polo lessons. The horses were great and the instruction excellent. The girls and myself, actually got to play a beginner's game. At all other estancias the lessons were drills. I would highly recommend this estancia to equestrians that want to have a day or two of fun on horseback and feel the excitement of polo.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyKR
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We organised our stay here the day before we arrived after taking a risk and simply arriving at San Antonio De Arreco tourist information where we found their brochure.

The location, huge rooms, food (4 meals a day), ponies and polo lessons were superb, you could not have asked for better. Even the toiletries were luxurious!

The only real small problems were the bath was not plumbed in (we found this entertaining, but you may not!) and we could have been a little more relaxed if we felt we belonged....Marcos and Silke were both lovely but we didn't feel entirely at ease. This could have been because we were the only guests there at the time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Looking for an estancia weekend near Buenos Aires, we discovered La Sophia mostly by chance. It wasn't covered widely in the guidebooks but luckily one of the other places I called was full and recommended La Sophia. The website looked good so we decided to give it a try. I am very glad that we did - the experience was terrific! I travel a lot and don't usually write reviews but the weekend at La Sophia was such an exceptional success that I decided to make an exception.

Visitors stay in a beautiful old country house. There are only a few guestrooms so the whole place feels intimate and peaceful. Our room was spacious and elegantly designed, with a comfortable king-size bed and great views of the surrounding countryside. The bathroom featured an outstanding rain-shower and lovely own-brand toiletries. You can also relax in the lounge (complete with a big open fireplace) or on in the pretty garden.

The food and wine were lovely throughout. The Argentine barbecue featured the best steak of my trip and they even managed to cater very successfully to my vegetarian partner (not a given in Argentina!). Marcos and Silke are wonderful hosts, always helpful and a pleasure to chat to but never intrusive.

The highlight of any stay at La Sophia is of course the riding and particularly the polo. I had played polo before and enjoyed it a lot but have never had as much fun as at La Sophia. Marcos is a hugely impressive player and a great instructor - he really manages to push you without ever being intimidating or overbearing. My partner had never ridden but almost from the get-go she too was up on a horse with a mallet and really enjoying herself. Within a day, Marcos had us playing against each other, intervening enough to keep the game fast-moving and challenging for both of us.

We both had such a great time that we're already plotting our return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nx_London
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We had originally been booked in at a different hotel but changed at the last minute as there was more opportunity for me to play polo here. A BRILLIANT DECISION! As it was before the polo season we were the only guests staying. The rooms were completely gorgeous and we had a whole house to ourselves with a constant fire in the living room. Marcos and Silke greeted us the evening we arrived and throughout our stay were always around and about, to talk to either conversationally or to make plans. I had never played polo before but was a keen rider and Marcos had the patience of a saint. He was an excellent teacher and immediately put my mum and I at ease. The horses were fantastic - whilst being athletic animals that are still used in competition they would be calm enough for any rider, and tirelessly put up with occassional hits from inexperienced mallet-weilders. The food was delicious, and despite no forewarning it was adjusted to fit my dairy intollerance. There was wonderful tea and cakes served every afternoon to re-fuel before or after the ride. Although my mother and I were mainly there for the polo we also took trips into San Antonio, which was beautiful, and on our last full day Marcos and Silke organised a full day ride to a friend's estancia for a barbeque. I was genuinely sad to be leaving after a week. It had a wonderful home-from-home feeling and I had left a far more competent (although still inexperienced) polo player.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank lucygoose_india
Boston
Reviewed May 19, 2010

A friend and I spent three nights at La Sofia in April. We were immediately impressed with the hospitality of Silke and Marcos, the owners, who provide all the comfort and attentiveness of staying in a well-appointed private home without ever being intrusive. The rooms are spacious, tastefully designed, very quiet, and have all the amenities of a 4-star hotel; and there are lovely common indoor and outdoor spaces too. The meals were consistently excellent (in four days we never had the same thing twice), and Malbec flowed freely. But the real highlight was horseback riding. Marcos, a professional polo player, offers terrific riding and polo instruction both for experienced riders and absolute beginners such as myself. Within a day I was learning polo, and completely hooked. We also really enjoyed watching polo professionals from the area playing practice chukkers on La Sofia's polo field.

Although it probably wouldn't make sense to spend a prolonged period at La Sofia if nobody in your party is interested in riding, it is such a pleasant spot that even those who do not ride could enjoy a relaxing stay there. Taken together, the quality of the accommodation, meals, hosting, and activities make this the best country getaway I have ever spent. I cannot recommend La Sofia more highly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends