“Fantastic Trip!”

Serac Expediciones
Ranked #2 of 15 Tours in El Chalten
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Expeditions, trekking, climbing, Southern Patagonian Ice Field, El Chalten
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a private guide that could customize a trip to suit our desire for lots of great views, plenty of altitude gain and well organized with little down time. Diego and his staff did not disappoint. Diego worked with us and developed a trip that met all our requirements. His excellent organization and attention to detail meant that we could just hike and enjoy the fantastic trails and leave the transportation, meals, lodgings and equipment up to Diego and his great staff. Not only did he help us out with the Argentinian portion of our tour but he also arranged the Chilean portion of our tour through this extensive network of contacts.
We would most certainly use Serac Expeditions again.

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"alejandro"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We came from the United States, and were delighted with Diego, both his service and his knowledge of the area. We did a 3 day 2 night trek, and the tent accomodations were excellent the food tasty, and with Diego's help, we saw areas we would never have seen on our own. Highly recommend!!!!!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My brother and I visited Patagonia with Diego as our guide and the experience exceeded our very high expectations.
We tried to book with other operators and in general found them to be poor in communicating back to us and not transparent with their charges.
Diego happily explained the options to us, told us where our money was going and then provided an unforgettable experience.
His knowledge of the area and mountaineering in general was exceptional and after the trek he took us to his brother's wine bar for a great evening of stories and superb Argentinian wine.
I would recommend Diego and his company highly to anyone who is thinking of going there.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I trekked the south ice-field from Paso Marconi to Paso Viento in 2012 with Diego De Angelis from SERAC Expeditions. In a nut shell, this is a superb world-class trek, and I am very glad I did it with SERAC.
Now, let me share some of my experiences in this trek.
In 2011, I spent a week in El Chalten and hiked its classic short hikes (Laguna Del Tres, Laguna Torre, Tombado, etc). In Rio Electrico, I met a group on its way to the ice-field trek, and I decided to return next year and do that trek.
I usually do not hike with a guide, as I don’t like to be a “sheep in the herd”, but in this trek you really need an experienced guide, for 3 reasons: The trek is not marked, it passes over glaciers with pretty risky crevasses, and above all - the weather on the ice-field can become extremely harsh. I heard of a few hikers who died on the ice-field in the last few years (a pretty grim statistics, taking into account that it does not accommodate more than hundreds of hikers each year). I checked a few companies in El Chalten and eventually chose SERAC.
On February 2012 I reached El-Chalten and met my guide Diego, who is also SERAC’s manager and owner. We prepared the equipment to the trek (BTW, there’s good equipment for rent in El-Chalten, if needed).
After postponing the trek by a day due to the weather, we (that is Diego, me and Boty, who joined us as a porter) started the hike walking up Rio Electrico and camped at its origins. This was a relatively short day, with a few painfully freezing river crossings (My sandals were as good for river crossing as walking barefoot. A spare pair of real shoes could be a good idea).
The second day we hiked up the Marconi glacier using crampons. There was a tricky part that required rock scrambling and ropes near the pass, where the steep Marconi glacier meets the flat ice-field. The weather was smiling to us and we took a sunbathing break on the pass. The view from the ice-field toward the Fitz-Roy massive (and all the other directions as well) is breathtaking. The combination of the dark wild peaks of the massive and soft white plain of the huge ice-field deserves poems. Let me just say that God was probably in a very good mood when he created this place. We spent the second night in the Gorra Blanca refugio north of the pass. This is a surprisingly comfortable refugio, because it was actually built by the Chileans for scientific expeditions.
We woke up in the 3rd day for another sunny day. We hiked south over the beautiful ice-field and camped on the snow in a cirque of mountains at the foot of the 3102m Cerro Torre (Circo del Altares). Another amazing day. The walking on the snow-field is done with snowshoes (rackets) and everybody are connected by a rope which is supposed to help in case someone falls into a crevasse.
The 4th day was a bit rainy. We continued south over a dark region of the glacier, and after a few hours navigated down from the glacier to a lagoon from which we continued over Alpine pastures to Los Viedma Hut. The landscape changed from white to dark grey glacier and then to green. After two and half days on the ice field we started walking on its side, ascending above it, and it gave a different perspective. BTW, there are pumas in this area. They are seldom seen, but we could spot their tracks.
One the 5th day we hiked up Paso del Viento in yet another sunny day. I hate to use so many superlatives, but the view from pass to the vast ice-field and the mountain ranges on the Chilean side is gorgeous. We descended from the pass walking by (and on) a glacier (yet another beautiful part…) to a camp near Lago Toro.
From this camp on, the trails begin to be well marked. On our 6th day we returned to El Chalten, and I left Diego and took advantage of the (yet another) sunny day and made a side-trip to the Tombado for some nice views on the Torres - Fitz Roy ridge from its south-west side. After sleeping in a real hotel with a real bed in El Chalten, I hiked the following day (yet another beautiful sunny day) to the picturesque Laguna Los Tres and completed the loop around the Fitz Roy.
All in all, with the help of the weather factor, this trek was one of the best I ever did (and I did one or two, including a few treks that are considered among “world’s top ten”). It is an amazing and unique trek, at least in good weather conditions. I am also very happy that I hiked with Diego. The trip was well organized, and besides being an experienced mountain guide, Diego is a high quality guy.

3  Thank HappyTravellerOS