“Glacier Viedma trekking on ice”

Patagonia Adventures
Ranked #6 of 15 Tours in El Chalten
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Patagonia Aventura has tailor-made programs to explore and enjoy the Viedma Glacier according to each of our client’s expectations. Carefully grouped into three different products, every activity invites our travelers to live a unique experience in Patagonia.
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I did the glacier trekking tour on 26th of December and I loved the experience! The only bad thing is that these guys do not heat the bus nor the boat... After walking almost 3hrs on the glacier I thought to myself no way they do the same on the way back.. But sadly all the way to Chalten we had to endure the cold.

Lucia2620, Commercial at Patagonia Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Tahnk you very much for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences caused. We have already took care about this issue.
Best regards, Patagonia Aventura staff.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Due to the fact that they have a monopoly on the services towards the glacier you have no other choice.
The ViedmaPro tour especially the staff for ice climbing was very excellent. Great day experience. Good size of group.
Due to the only provider, we had to wait until slots were free. So book in advance since there is no other option.
Our biggest concern was that the transfer boat towards the glacier is losing black oil into the lake ever time it is pushing the throttle.
You can't pretend and whine that you are ecological friendly and the glaciers are melting and then don't set an example yourself. Especially in a monopoly position.
Really sad that profit overwhelms Eco.

4  Thank Ole S

Thank you very much Ole S for you feedback! We are glad to know that you enjoyed your Viedma Pro Experience!
According your concern about the boat, we have already taken care about this issue in order to not affect the enviroment where we practise this activities.
Thank you again and regards, Patagonia Aventura staff.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

In el calafate we bought a package of walking on the glacier located in el chaltan from a company called Viva Patagonia \ patagonia adventura (- same company).
  During the sale we asked the saleswoman what happens in case of cancellation due to weather conditions and we asked her to check what the weather will be on the trip.
After checking the weather saleswoman said that there was no expectation of a problem and we should have a good weather but it certainly could be a change in weather.
She also said that if the trip will be canceled we will be given a full refund.
On the trip, after a journey of about three hours - not including an hour break for coffee drinking (to kill time), many stops along the way, waiting at the agency in el chalten - we got to the boat.
On the boat were two groups, a group of tour and cruise group only.
After sailing for an hour and just before we had to get on the glacier we were told that the trip was canceled because of the wind. We continued to sail for another hour beyond the usual time to return to the dock for the second grouping only paid cruise.
We returned back to el calafate (Boating hour and 3 hours by car) and got the company's offices and the seller told us she was sorry about the cancellation and refund is as agreed - less than a third of the amount.
I asked why I do not get a full refund and was told that according to their refund policies I am paying for transportation in case of cancellation.
After I refused and asked to speak to her manager she said I could not because her manager is in el chalten three hours away.
After we demanded to speak with someone in charge came to us an agent named Ruben explained to us in a very arrogant way that we enjoyed the hours of traveling and that we must pay.
In the end we left without a trip without a full refund, the loss of a day and very disappointed. We strongly advise you NOT to take their services.

17  Thank elikfir
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I joined this (very pricy!!) tour departing from El Calafate in a 1-day trip.
I'v read negative opinions about this agency but since it is the only one that organize trekking on the ice on the Viedma...I had no choice, so I booked with them. What a mistake! They put you in a big group of people, with members of every age (also really aged!) and every sort of "sport attitude", with the result that to make happy everybody you end up to "walk" rather than to trek on the ice. Really boring and nothing special. Surely Perito Moreno offers something more and is cheaper. Besides, even if they guarantee 1 guide every 2-3 people in the group, they are very un-polite and arrogant.
Maybe they need some competitors to increase their quality of service and reduce the cost of the prices..
I would definitely not suggest Patagonia Adventures.

11  Thank globmail
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was very scared and I could not pciture myself trekking the glacier, but as many of people said before the guides from Patagonia Adventure are amazing, very helpful and they make sure that you trek only in safe areas of the glacier, every day the trail can be different as the glacier moves, you will see rainbow and will be spoilt by glass of baileys with freshly broken ice of Viedma, an amazing, once in a lifetime experience, the boat trip is great and the views breathtaking!!! I truly recommend it, you won't regret it!

2  Thank AgaD00
Lucia2620, Commercial Assistance at Patagonia Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Regards, Patagonia Aventura staff.