“What a classy joint! ...and GF food to boot!”

Caribou Crossing Coffee
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Carcross
Cuisines: European, Delicatessen, Contemporary, Healthy, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Localy roasted coffees from organic fair trade, specialty teas, organic lemonades, italian sodas and cream sodas, real fruit smoothies, freshly prepared sandwiches, homebaked bread, muffins, cookies and biscotti, freshly baked waffles, weekend special: torts- fresh, local, fair and friendly!
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Finally a haven in Carcross for the day tripper or long haul traveller. We go to this amazing cafe all the time, great food, delicious coffee and other refreshment, staff is fun, friendly and helpful. This cafe is run by the energetic Heike, who brings old world know-how into the Canadian wilds! For the gluten free dieters, this is your place. There is always a wide selection of GF food, safe and delicious. The cafe also is an art gallery, a yoga retreat twice a week and offers multilingual service. I should just camp on their porch, this is my place!

CaribouCrossingCoffe, Owner at Caribou Crossing Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you so much Nathalie for the enthusiastic review. I am very happy to be able to tell you that we did enlarge the range of our glutenfree products (and our glutenfull products as well :-)). And we now offer vegan muffins and fruit loaves. Come soon again and have one of our dangerously addictive glutenfree Hazelnut- Chocolat Brownies or the glutenfree Dark Chocolate covered orange- cranberry Muffins.....<3
We also have some new ideas for specialty espresso drinks wich are just decadent. Spring is here, bring your hammock and stay! :-)
See you soon!
Heike

Oh and btw, I hope to be able to not only see Yoga on the coffeeshop deck but also Hula Hoop workshops this year! Working on it!
And there will be lots of music again!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stopped in for a cup of coffee because it smelled so great. There was only one couple in front of us but it took quite a while for the staff to get through their order and get our order for one cup of coffee. The only option for sweetener was sugar. The coffee was okay, but not spectacular. Carcross is a small place so having a coffee shop is great. Again - the staff was super nice & friendly.

Dear Cindy, thank you for having taken the time to review Carcross lil' coffeeshop. I appreciate this very much and am happy to hear that you found the aroma from our coffees and baked goods enticing. And I am also very happy to hear that you found my staff very friendly- wich is very important for us: to not only show true northern hospitality but to always go the extra mile to accomodate our customers needs and wishes, wich sometimes can take a bit time. On behalf of "my gals" I can only say that they are always trying to do their very best and to be the fastest they can be without sacrificing on quality. I am sorry to hear that you found the coffee mere average as we are very proud of our fresh and locally roasted coffe from Bean North, wich is organic and fair trade. I hope you will have the chance to visit us again and you please let me know so I can personally take care to make you the best Latte you will ever have tasted. Regarding the sugar: I am very surprised to hear you only found sugar, as we offer honey, raw sugar, syrups and even artificial sweeteners, wich we are not really fan of. To accomodate the gusto for sweetness in coffe I now offer stevia as well, wich is natural but has less calories than sugar and is all and all the healthier alternative.
Thank you very much for your visit and I hope I can offer you a more satisfying service next time you visit our beautiful little town.
Heike

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Great staff, very friendly. Newest place in town! Assorted soups, sandwiches and cookies too. Close to visitor center with neat indigenous murals on most buildings.

CaribouCrossingCoffe, Inhaber at Caribou Crossing Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hello swiftfire,
thank you so much for the kind words. I am happy to hear that you had a good experience here and enjoyed your stay in beautiful Carcross. The native murals on all the buildings in the Carcross Commons represent the different families in Carcross. The coffeeshops mural shows the sixlegged, split tailed beaver. All the murals are designed by our famous Tlingit Carver Keith Wolf Smarch and executed by himself and his team. His workshop is located directly behind the Carcross Commons and you can visit him and question him about everything concerning his work, culture and traditional art. We here in the CCC are glad we could provide you with good foodchoices, a warmth welcoming and friendly service. I personally am very proud of "my gals" who carry the spirit of the CCC and the northern hospitality to everyone visiting. Without the warmth and the laughter my gals radiate, and without the love and care they put into every coffee, cookie or sandwich the CCC would not be the same.
Take good care.
Heike and Team

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stopped on our way out from Skagway where we had rented a Jeep to drive through the Yukon. We got some great coffee and chai tea, and I had to try the apple kuchen, all were delicious. We also got 2 panini's to go which were great too. It's a very cute little shop with a very nice owner who seems very happy to give you great food and service! There were also a few fellows outside playing music, I wish we could have stayed longer but we had to be concerned about getting back to the cruise ship on time.

We had a little bit of a hard time finding the place, but we asked a local and she pointed us in the right direction.

we love what we do and we love where we live. And we are so very happy to have the privilege of sharing that with visitors from all around the world. I am sorry that you had not more time but I know that sometimes the schedule can be very tight when you have to be back in Skagway for the cruiseships to leave. I am happy though that you were right in time to enjoy some of the music frequently played in the CCC. We have many musicians from everywhere dropping in and bring either their own instruments or playing on the coffeeshop guitar wich is there for everyone to play a tune or two while enjoying coffee and sunshine (yes, it is mostly sunny in Carcross- it is not always cold in Yukon...:-))
We are also having monthly sunday morning jam sessions as well and are part of the homeconcert route.
Yeah, music is in the air! :-)
I wish you all the best and thanks for visiting CCC and taking the time to write oyur review.
Take care,
Heike and Team

Reviewed May 25, 2013

After a beautiful drive from Skagway we came into Carcross in need of some sustinence for the drive back. What we found was a new, clean, cozy cafe with delicious homemade food. All fresh ingredients with a gourmet touch. We had a Mediterranean style bowl of minestrone soup and a sandwich on fresh homemade bread with an artichoke pecan spread.
Totally unexpected this far out in the Yukon!!! Highly recommend Caribou Crossing.

1  Thank LGtravler

Thank you so much LGtravler, for the time you took to write this lovely review. We are still very mediterranean by heart and in combination with the boreal herbs and foods and the real food revolution we are proud to offer everything freshly prepared and baked, with real ingredients, as local as possible, as organic as we can assure, with a conscious effort to purchase gmo free and choose earth conscious brands when we cannot get it locally grown and harvested fresh.
By now we have a whole team of lovely bakers and foodies as well as dedicated baristas who know their coffee. Speaking of coffee: we use fair traded, organically grown coffee, freshly roasted twice a week by our local coffee roaster Bean North.
Not only to serve our visitors from all around the world the best we can but also to serve ourselves and our community the best.:-)
Thank you for visiting.