“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
Skagway Shore Excursion: Full-Day Tour of the Yukon
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Carcross
More attraction details
Owner description: We are CLOSED until May 2,2017. See you in 2017. Caribou Crossing, home of the "Museum of Yukon Natural History", specializes in serving up a fresh, hot BBQ lunch daily. Be sure to stop by for a homemade meal and stick around for one of many onsite activities. They offer dogcart rides with a fleet of local huskies, gold panning, and an extensive gift shop featuring the finest local Yukon-made artwork and gifts. New for 2013 is the RCMP Museum outlining the history and the role of the Canadian Mounties in Yukon.
Brisbane, Australia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited Caribou Crossing as part of the Whitepass Railway and Yukon Expedition tour out of Skagway. What a disappointment this venue was. Caribou Crossing is a make belief reconstruction of a pioneer trading post from the gold rush era, consisting of fake façades. The price of the whole tour included a BBQ lunch, which consisted of chicken, a minute dollop of coleslaw, a baked potato and a roll, accompanied by a cup of coffee or tea. This was all dished up army barrack style. Although tasty, it was cheap fare designed for the bus loads of tourists. However, the museum has a nice display of stuffed bear, moose, caribou, goats, etc, but lacked in depth information about the history and geology of the region. The museum is not enough justification to visit this venue.

1 Thank Jan M

Anacortes, WA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lunch was good, skip the rest.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was part of the cruise ship excursion with the combined white pass railway and motor coach tour. Lunch was barbecued chicken, cole slaw, baked potato, roll, and homemade donuts. Lunch was very good and included in our tour cost. The other attractions were included in our tour cost. I would not have paid extra for them. The taxidermy museum was interesting. The sled dogs bark constantly but if you enjoy dogs and don't mind CONSTANT barking as you eat lunch you will enjoy this stop. We bought ice cream and it was good and the cost was average. There's also a goat petting area. Our stop was for one and a half hours. One hour is more than enough.

Valdez, Alaska
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Caribou Crossing is Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Caribou Crossing was well worth the modest price of admission! The wildlife museum was well done. The sled dogs were also very cool; my wife and I really enjoyed being able to play with the husky puppies and their mothers. Great gift shop, as well!

Seattle, Washington
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Concerned about dogs as well”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have to agree with the last reviewer who wrote to stay away if you love dogs. I have nothing against dog sledding either. Some of the dogs looked fine, very lean but obviously fit. But we saw a Mama dog with her puppies that looked to be close to starvation. Ribs and bones sticking out all over. Either the poor thing was in serious need of veterinary care due to a condition, or she was simply drastically underfed. I tend to think she was underfed because there was a dispenser for food next to her - drop in some coins and get kibble. I and many others were feeding it coins to get the poor thing some food. She was gulping the food down like it was all she had eaten in a week. It's a cynical thought but I really hope this was not a ploy to make a little extra $ off the tourists. Display a starving dog & a way to purchase it food - of course people will empty out their coin purses & pockets.
The museum was an oddity, full of stuffed animals. Not my cup of tea but at least no living animals suffering. While I was there I saw staff milling around, not enough to watch every single dog but if they are stationed at intervals you wouldn't need a staff person assigned to each animal. I saw no instances of visitors interacting badly with the dogs.
We didn't eat here, our bus had stopped at a small cafe a few minutes earlier. I dashed in to the dining area to get a cup of coffee for the road - the staff were very friendly & nice. They gave me a cup for free, insisted no charge.

Visited June 2012
CaribouCrossing, Manager at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Reviewer-
Your feedback is important to us and we like to hear from all of our customers so that we can better understand our customers’ perspectives and expectations. I can see from your current avatar that you are also a dog lover just like we are. It’s for that same reason that our mushers have dedicated their entire lives to dogs, from training them in the summers to racing with them in the winters.

I also remember the first time I saw Alaskan Huskies and they struck me as different than I had expected or was familiar with down south. Different than many Siberian Huskies that are kept as pets, the Alaskan Husky is a special breed that is geared specifically for long distance racing. It’s actually quite similar to how you would imagine a human marathoner to be proportioned. Their breed is appropriately designed to be lean – much leaner than you might expect. This is because breeds such as the Greyhound have gone into the genetic makeup of the Alaskan Husky. Just as we all know that Greyhounds are innately shaped for speed and actually not under nourished, it is a similar story with the Alaskan Husky.

As a matter of fact, many of the canine athletes you met here recently returned from the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest 300 this year. One of our teams actually won the Yukon Quest 300 and this team, along with many of the dogs here, is actually sponsored by NutriSource. There is no shortage of nutrition for these racers and I can assure you the treats that we put out are not a necessary part of their diet but rather an extra way that we encourage our guests to interact with these friendly dogs.

We appreciate your concern nonetheless and really wish you had expressed your concerns with one of us in person. We would have been happy to share all of this information with you then and are saddened that our only opportunity to educate you about our beloved animals is in this public forum.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“LOVED Caribou Crossing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family and I were on a shore excursion from Skagway when we visited Michelle Phillips and others at Caribou Crossing. By far our favorite part was visiting with the dogs! We loved meeting Michelle, meeting Geisha who we had seen on TV, playing with the puppies - what a fabulous experience.

The food was good, the wildlife museum was good, also, but we had very limited time and didn't get to see everything. Eating in a covered wagon was also unique - a nice touch.

If you can go to Caribou Crossing, go! The drive from Skagway is magnificently beautiful, and we saw two black bears right next to the road.

Visited August 2012