“Fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Baie-St-Paul
nyc
“Fabulous”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Generally I post to tripadvisor when I have a negative experience. This is the first post in response to a surprisingly positive experience.
The architecture was great. The only gripe was that a ski trip comes with a lot of baggage and there was little storage space in the room, save for one cabinet. We found ourselves tripping over our bags the whole time.
The food was great though in some instances bordered on expensive ($7 for two pancakes?).
The skating path was a pleasant amenity and the hot tub was fabulous (one of the best I've apres skied in).
And le massif was a fabulous mountain - just stunning skiing down towards the St Lawrence.
And I say all this despite the fact that I blew my knee out in the mountain! I'd love to come back and try again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Massif_de_Charlevoix, General Manager at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you for sharing your comments! It’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed it despite you knee injury. We hope that you are already back on your feet!

We will gladly welcome you back,
Martin Lamothe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at Hôtel La Ferme during a press trip. The ultra-modern and sleek hotel sits where more rustic historical buildings once stood. After the original structures burned down 140 new rooms opened in June 2012. Medicinal plants ring outdoor hot tubs and the property lies near the river so there’s always a cool wind amid an unusual microclimate created by the two-kilometer diameter meteor that landed here 250 million years ago. Two full-time employees tend massive gardens that fill the needs of multiple kitchens offering the height of gourmet cuisine. Hotel La Ferme is a triumph for Daniel Gauthier, the businessman who also co-founded Cirque du Soleil.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Massif de C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing a bit of our history with others! We hope to see you back soon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Loved, loved, loved this hotel. Great concept. Beautiful design. Loved that it was decorated with so many local items. And the kids especially loved the family rooms. It's too bad that it's not a ski-in, ski-out location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Massif de C, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. The design of our hotel is what makes it unique, and it’s a pleasure to read that you enjoyed it. We don’t have a ski-in, ski-out on the Mountain for the moment, but it’s in our projects for the future.

We will gladly welcome you back,
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2014

stunning views and interesting architecture do not make -up for cold service that borders on rude ..
many other reviews have already explored this so no need to repeat but suffice to say that the staff seems to think that competent efficiency is the same as excellent service ....it isn't.
admittedly, warm personal service that does not intrude can be a tricky balance to strike given that guests are individuals but there is no hotel guest should ever feel like an unwelcome houseguest .
work on that and i'll be back !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MagnificentPath
Massif de C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hi, we are sorry to hear that the service was not enjoyable. All comments have been noted and will be transmitted to the persons concerned. We nevertheless thank you for your comments and hope to see you again – if only to show our good will.
Toronto
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in February (Valentine’s Day weekend). We were very excited about our stay seeing as the hotel had won a bunch of awards and was included in Conde Nast’s hotels to check out in 2013/2014.

Overall, as detailed below, we found the service at the hotel to be sub-par to what the hotel is trying to position itself to be. We were very disappointed in the service throughout the hotel and despite the hotel being new and beautiful; it would not entice me to return. The thing that makes a place stand out is the overall experience, of which service and attention represent a big part.

We arrived on Saturday afternoon – I went to check in while my husband parked the car and got our luggage. Check in was the quickest I’d ever had (I stay over 50 nights/ year in hotels). I was basically given the room keys, shown on the map where to go and sent on my way. No information about the hotel, the restaurants, the amenities, options, wi-fi (it is free by the way), etc. My husband had reached the lobby at this point with our luggage. Well, we were not staying in the main building so we had to drag it back out and put it back in the car and drive it to our building. I was already quite annoyed as there was no luggage service and no one offered to help.

We stayed in a Loft room in the Le Moulin building. The room was on the top floor and was beautiful. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom big and beautiful – we had an oversize standalone tub and the floors in the bathroom were heated. So overall, the room was very nice. However, certain things I thought could have made it much better:
• When you walk in, the floor is a tile – being in the middle of winter, your boots and other things drips snow and dirt all over the floor. They should have a larger carpeted area for the entrance – otherwise we just had a mess at the front of the room with puddles of water.
• There is not enough storage space for luggage or even luggage racks. The room is sort of small but the closet space was awkwardly located with the front door which made it hard to put your luggage away and there wasn’t even enough room. A luggage rack would have been helpful.
• The only amenities in the bathroom were a shower cap and a bar of soap (the separate shower had large bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash – affixed to the wall). I thought it was odd that with such a beautiful tub in the room, there were no bath salts or something to use for the bath. I had taken some bath salts from our previous hotel in Quebec City and used those for my bath. But the hotel should have provided something to be able to enjoy the bathtub.
• The information on the hotel – were just pieces of paper in file folders in a box. I thought it was a bit amateur – that for such a nice hotel – its information on the hotel, its services and amenities, could have been presented in a much nicer way (i.e. binder?).

We had dinner at Les Labours on Saturday night (Feb 15th). I had called 2 weeks in advance to make reservations as was told that the restaurant was full. Upon further pressing, I was able to get a 5pm sitting but was told I had to be out by 7pm – which was fine, 2 hrs for dinner was plenty. We arrived for our dinner – and the restaurant was empty (perhaps 30% occupied). The hostess did not acknowledge us and another couple that were waiting– she was busy looking at her computer screen. Finally, she said hello and then told us to go put our coats away in the closer behind the entrance. I was a bit taken a back – this is an expensive restaurant and to be told to go put your coat away put me off. She could have offered to take our coats, told us nicely that if we liked there was a closet behind the entrance for coats – no it was an instruction. We watched her throughout the night (as we were seated by the entrance) and she seemed to be a terrible hostess – numerous people waited to be acknowledged and be seated, she walked very quickly so that people we running after her to be able to follow her to their seats, pointed to the closet to tell people to put their coats away, etc. By the end of our dinner – around 7pm – the restaurant was barely 50% full – I didn’t understand how I was told the place was completely full and could not get a later sitting. I had even called that afternoon to confirm our reservation and was told they were completely full and nothing was available. There was a language barrier until they understood I was just confirming my existing reservation. So I don’t know who and how the restaurant was being managed but it seemed to me to be very poorly run as the whole time we were there, it wasn’t even 50% full.

The dinner itself was very good – they had a special table d’haute for Valentine’s Day and all the food was very good. The best dish was a lobster ravioli with squash. It is one of the best items we’d ever eaten. Dessert was the only thing we found subpar – it was like a cookie shaped in a heart with cream decoration. I found it a bit childish and would have expected something more formal and adult like – such as a molten lava cake or something. For a $150 dinner + wine, the dessert was not up to par.

We also had breakfast at le Labours the next day – we had the buffet breakfast – it was pretty good with lots of selection. It took them sometime to refill some things such as the orange juice but we were happy with the breakfast. That morning, the restaurant was busier than the night before at dinner when we were told the place was completely full.

We also had dinner one night at their other restaurant – Le Bercail. The food here was also outstanding and we had a nice spot right by the fire. However, the service was beyond horrible. The waitress that attended us did not speak English at all. Ok fine, we thought we could still communicate– we pointed to the menu to what we wanted – we ordered a bottle of wine, a bottle of water and a duck plate – the first two things came but after 45 minutes, the food (duck plate) had not arrived. So we tried asking her but she didn’t not understand a word and couldn’t even utter one word in English to us. She got one of her other colleagues who did speak English to come (why didn’t then she serve us instead if the other waitress knew she couldn’t understand us?). We explained to her that we had ordered almost an hour a good some food but it never came – clearly the original waitress was so lost and confused. The waitress that did speak English was apologetic and offered to comp us for our duck plate. We also ended up ordering a pizza – which was fantastic – and the waitress kindly also comped it without us saying anything. However we had spent over $100 in wine so the free food of $30 wasn’t that big of a deal. Overall, it just ruined the experience of the dinner as the whole first hour we were anxiously waiting to see if our food arriving. We had almost finished the bottle of wine by the time our food came.

My husband and I also used the Spa – it costs $20 per person (+$10 for flip flops if you don’t bring your own) to use the Nordik services – we enjoyed the Spa and it was a relaxing time. The staff there were also very friendly. The only downside was that because the spa is in a separate building to all the rooms and the main building, so you have to get a bundled up to get there – I’m surprised there were not tunnels or enclosed walk ways so that you could get between buildings in the winter. It would have been nice to go from our room in our robes to the spa.
Upon check out – our hotel bill had been charged someone else’s breakfast. Thank goodness I noticed because I couldn’t remember exactly everything that had been charged to our room but after questioning two similar charges on our account they looked into it and said it was for breakfast – I told them we didn’t eat breakfast twice in the same day. They took it off but no apologies were made.

Overall, the service at the hotel was terrible –also compounded by the language barrier. Very few people speak English – I understand we are in Quebec and I actually understand and speak a little bit of French but if the hotel wants to be visited by those outside of Quebec, it has to cater to them. For the $300 per night for the room, I found the hotel was not at the level of service and amenities as I would have expected. The good thing is that these changes are easy and can be implemented with more training, better hiring, etc. However, the hotel needs to seriously elevate its game if it wants to reach its actual potential.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MillerCorona
Massif de C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking some time to give us feedback about your experience. Your comments and constructive criticism have all been noted. Comments serve to make adjustments and offer better service. Nevertheless, we are sorry that you did not get the service you deserved and we will make sure those concerned are informed about your remarks.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We and another couple were in the area in a rented chalet to ski for 3 days. We had heard about Hotel La Ferme and decided to go there for a drink after skiing at Massif to check it out and see what all the hype was about. We walked into bar/restaurant and were told to stand there and someone would direct us to a table. After 5 minutes we just sat the nearest table since the place was nearly empty. After waiting about 15 minutes someone brought us the drinks menu. After another 10-15 minutes a waitress appeared and after fiddling around with other things and talking to other staff she finally came over to take our drink order. As soon as we ordered our drinks she - in a very rude manner - told us we could not order drinks without ordering food. We asked if there was a bar in the hotel and she again - rudely - told us no this was the only place and you had to order food. She then walked away. Surprised and shocked at the rude treatment and what we view as terrible service given the hype this hotel had we just left very un-impressed. For a hotel with these kind of higher end rates we would expect at the very least service staff that are both prompt and polite. We are unlikely to go back to this hotel for any reason nor recommend it.If you want a nice place to eat go to the Mouton Noir - not here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank TommyTony11
Massif de C, Public Relations Manager at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi, we are sorry to hear your experience was less than enjoyable. All your comments have been noted, to ensure the situation does not repeat itself. We nevertheless hope to see you again – if only to show you our good will!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed there during thanksgiving weekend and omg, it was so fun. The hotel is lovely, the room was big and it had an amazing comfy bed. We went to eat at Les Labours on one evening which was amazing although make sure you book your dinner time. The other night, a girl at the local cafe recommended us a restaurant were locals go in La Malbaie. Everything is close by if you want to walk. The spa was really nice too, we were able to leave our stuff in the lockers for one night because the treatment wasnt complete in the day. There was a local market on the weekend when we were there. Even a wedding was happening and got us thinking that we could plan it there, but then we would use the train to get into hotel la ferme. I will be back and bring more friends for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Massif de C, Directeur général at Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Bonjour,

Thanks for sharing with us those sweet moments. We appreciate you took the time to share it with us. We will be more than happy to welcome you to our Hotel again,

Best regards,
Martin Lamothe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie-St-Paul
Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu
#2 of 8 in Baie-St-Paul
Hotel-Motel Castel de la Mer
Hotel-Motel Castel de la Mer
#3 of 13 in La Malbaie

Been to Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix? Share your experiences!