“Enjoyable”
Review of Yammas Grill

Yammas Grill
Ranked #30 of 73 Restaurants in Wasaga Beach
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My friend and I enjoyed a delicious lunch at Yammas. She had the burger and fries which she said was very good. I had the souvlaki with greek salad and fries and it was one of the best I've had. Would definitely return next time I'm in the beach. Only thing was the server was just wearing a white tee shirt which was dirty. Could have worn an apron or something.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

My family moved to Wasaga Beach from Toronto some years ago and we miss the international foods which are available in the city, so you can imagine how much we looked forward to trying Yammas. Our preference is souvlaki dinner so this review is ONLY about this menu item and ONLY about their take-out service. If you don't wish to read the whole review, here is a quick synopsis: the food is very average. A few small improvements would make a world of difference.

We ordered the chicken souvlaki. It includes the typical offerings; chicken skewers, marinated potatoes, flavoured rice and Greek salad. The meal does not include bread or pita. I tend to try a restaurant a few times before I write a review especially if it is a family owned place because deviations in the recipes can make for a different experience each time. In this case we ordered take-out 3-4 times before posting this review.

I'll begin with the good. The portion size is generous enough and it's not expensive. The meal is served in a rectangular styrofoam clam-shell container. By the time the food gets from restaurant to table, the salad is nearly ruined by the steam of the hot foods. Half the salad is wasted because it's too soggy to eat. For take out, restaurants should separate the cold foods from the hot, and they should put the dressing in a small container because the food may not be served right away. That's a small pet peeve of mine with take out foods.

The chicken looks good, smells good and tastes authentic. I enjoyed the grill flavour and the marinade. However, the consistency of the chicken is odd - a little mushy. It's cooked enough to minimize this issue but one of several possible problems are causing this; Yammas is either using previously frozen chicken, water-logged chicken or it has been sitting in the marinade far too long. It's difficult to tell why the chicken doesn't tear apart in a natural way. Only the cook would know. There is a little container of tsasiki (yogurt, garlic, cucumber sauce) on the side.

The salad (what's left of it once the soggy bits are removed) is so-so. When I think of Greek salad I envision generous chunks of feta cheese, crisp rings of red or white onion and several delightfully meaty calamata olives. I honestly don't recall if there was any feta in this salad at all. The olives were tiny and sparse. This was basically a romaine lettuce salad with an identity crisis. The balsamic dressing was good.

The rice is nice (hey, that rhymed!) It tastes like it has been cooked in chicken broth. It's subtle, lightly flavoured.

Now to the real disappointment of the meal; The potatoes. This makes me wonder if the cook has any taste buds at all? The potatoes, marinated in some sort of lemon sauce are so sour as to render them inedible. Usually the potatoes are the highlight of a Greek meal for me. Depending on who is cooking, they may have a subtle basil, garlic, olive oil marinade, or a delicate tomato sauce, either of which may have a sprinkle of lemon in them, but never as to overpower the sweetness of the potato or the flavour of any other spices. Although I doubt that the potatoes were canned, they tasted as if they were. This is likely a result of the type of marinade used. It had the effect of changing the consistency of the potatoes. The sour flavour was unpleasant and overpowering. A huge fail.

One cannot review Greek food in Ontario without comparing it to the offerings at the annual Taste of the Danforth festival. Yammas does not rate high enough to be in the same company. This is unfortunate because a few small changes would make all the difference.
a) take-out meals must be packaged properly to avoid ruining the food. The salad could be saved by separating it from the hot foods and putting the dressing in the same container as the tsasiki sauce.
b) as mentioned above, the potato marinade is far too sour. This marinade is too powerful for a delicate potato.
c) for pete's sake - use fresh, high quality chicken!

Yammas is an appropriate choice for any busy person who doesn't feel like cooking. If you substitute french fries for the sour potatoes, the meal is acceptable. Still, I believe that Yammas could be more than acceptable.

2  Thank Christine M
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Food here was authentic Greek cuisine and it made for a really welcomed change.
Food was all freshly cooked and they were happy to make some changes to accommodate my needs/tastes.
Very friendly

1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I recently had dinner at Yammas. The decor is plain but the food is good at a reasonable price. Happy to have a greek food restaurant in the beach.

1  Thank paradise2011