“Delicious food, not a great sleep”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windsor
Cocoa Pesto at The Woodshire Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Windsor B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had been told that the food at the Coco Pesto Bistro was awesome! So we decided to venture out of Halifax for the weekend and celebrate our anniversary at the Woodshire Inn with dinner, a room and brunch the next morning.

The dinner was awesome and both my husband and I (with very different diets) were pleased with our meal. The prices are very affordable and the quality is top notch.

As other reviewers have stated the rooms and bathrooms are very large and they would be very comfortable if they weren't so cold! The rest of the house was lovely and warm but the two little space heaters- one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom- took a very long time to heat up either room. I don't think the bathroom ever did actually get warm. Showering in the morning was pretty unpleasant.

The other annoyance we found with our room was the volume of noise from the restaurant below. While in the rooms you can overhear people's conversations, music and dishes clattering. The jacuzzi bath tub is lovely, but a strange experience when you're listening to people's dinner conversations! When the dinner patrons leave you can hear staff's conversations and all the noise that comes with cleaning up- dishes being collected and washed, chairs being pushed in, etc. As long as you don't plan on an early sleep, it's not too bad.

We had reserved a table for brunch the next morning. But it isn't served until 11:30. We had been told by our server that the chef would make us breakfast- which she had "never gotten a complaint about"- but it would be a meal of his choosing and not a great choice if you have dietary restrictions.

We woke at 5:45 to the alarm clock sounding- we hadn't set it. As neither of us was able to fall back asleep we decided to grab breakfast elsewhere. We I mentioned to the owner (?) that the alarm had gone off and suggested they disarm it before others have a similar experience he just laughed. So best to check the alarm before falling asleep!

The house is lovely and the food was delicious. If we ever find ourselves in Windsor again we may visit for a meal. But an overnight stay or an out-of-the-way trip is simply not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Addie H

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stumbled upon this place almost by chance. We went for the dinner...chicken in an apple pie sauce and a melt off the bone lamb shank...so delicious! The owner waited on us and she suggested we stay and showed us the room with its own bathroom. And by bathroom, I mean a whole other bedroom refitted as a bathroom fit for a queen. It had a jacuzzi as well as a roomy shower, a fire place, long counter around the sink, a huge ottoman with a cozy bathrobe right in the middle. The toilet itself was in a separate closet in the bathroom.

The bed was huge, very firm. There was a fireplace in the bed room, flat screen tv, and lovely furniture. They even very graciously sent my husband up with a generous glass of sherry. One of the best places we have ever stayed. The proprietors, Scott and Marily, are friendly, cheerful, and interesting people.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were travelling to Yarmouth and my friend seen the Woodshire Inn and Cocoa Pesto Bistro in the travel book and it sounded like a good place to stay and eat in the restaurant. Glad we stopped and stayed there and the food was excellent. Scott Geddes and Marilyn McKay make you feel like we were at home. Hats off to them and we will be back. Darlene and Richard.

Room Tip: Book early as the rooms fill up quickly.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Despite the fact that it was very busy, the staff was very friendly and helpfull. The food and the wine were excellent. The decoration is contemporary with quite vibrant colours, but tasteful.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Dined here mid-May, fabulous meal for a great price. Hidden secret. I can't comment on the accommodations because I didn't use them. But the dining room is worth seeking out. Only 40 minutes from Bedford/Sackville. I'm not sure why there isn't a restaurant listing for them on TA, I could only find them under the B&..hence putting the food review here. There is really no other place to eat a good meal between Halifax and Grand Pre aside from this place.

Chef/owner came out and personally asked all diners how they were enjoying their meal at one point.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This is a great place for a celebration. Scott and Marilyn were incredible and made us feel like we were in our own home with great food, great wine and good friends. It was perfect !

While having brunch at the Woodshire Inn we decided to get married there. This was just two weeks before the wedding. It was easy to do because of the group at the Inn. The restaurant and the catering company Cocoa Pesto offer fabulous food.

We stayed over the night before the wedding, with friends. In the morning we had an early light breakfast made by Scott and then got dressed and greeted our guests. Our wedding was small but elegant. With Scott and Marilyn's help it was also very relaxed. I told them all I wanted was to relax and enjoy the day. That is exactly what happened. Both of them made the day so special for everyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

The Woodshire Inn is hands down one of THE BEST places I have ever had the pleasure of resting my head. The rooms are large and elegantly furnished with luxury linens so comfortable you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud! The bathroom is HUGE, you feel like you are in a spa and never want to leave!

Downstairs is dining via the Cocoa Pesto Bistro and by dining I mean the MOST DELICIOUS food you will ever taste. My husband drooled over "dry rub" ribs which were recommended by the attentive waitress. I had the loveliest haddock and we finished the meal off with a selection of fresh deserts.

If you are going through the Annapolis Valley, treat yourself to the little piece of heaven that is The Woodshire Inn. I wish I was there right now! - C

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Maplecate

Been to Cocoa Pesto at The Woodshire Inn? Share your experiences!