“Much room for improvement”
Review of Bumpers on 52 - CLOSED

Bumpers on 52
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Winnipeg, Canada
“Much room for improvement”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

While the concept seems great, the service and food fails to deliver. The girl behind the order window was unfriendly and gave me attitude when I was placing my order. I ordered the Schnitzel Combo and what I received was a dry deep-friend piece of pork veal in a tray with overly salted fries in a cardboard tray. The schnitzel could have used a lemon for flavour or less time in the deep frier for some tenderness. I ordered an iced tea to accompany my combo. While some people might like what I call "American Iced Tea" (or sweet tea), I prefer what would usually come out of a Nestea can. Bumpers clearly serves "sweet tea" which I found to be far to overly sweet... which I'm afraid, is just not my cup of tea (pun sadly intended). I could see paying very little money for this experience and having less to complain about, but my portion of the bill was around $12-$13. For this I received poor service, bad food, and a less than enjoyable drink. Sadly I left Bumpers with a bad taste in my mouth (both literally and metaphorically) and less money in my wallet. I offer these thoughts partially to help inform other potential patrons, but also to inform management of my issues. Some simple staff training (with both order staff and cooks) would likely go a long way to improving this restaurant to one I wouldn't mind visiting again.

2 Thank Canadaman2000

Canada
“Food is bad and such small portions!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

See Woody Allen's Annie Hall to understand the joke behind the title of the review.

Went there this week ordered 3 orders of chicken fingers, fries and a single cheeseburger. For $10 you get 3 chicken fingers and a smattering of fries. The burger was okay but nothing like what you'd get at Dairy Whip or even Jr's these days. With beverages the bill was over $50 for 4 people to eat! Compare that to McDonalds, Wendy's or A&W. We saw the article in the Free Press. We decided to try it out. We won't be back. We're all for the idea of a throwback type drive in, but while the concept is retro, the prices and value are definitely straight out of 2023. Since we live in Winnipeg, this was one trip to Steinbach that wasn't worth it.

3 Thank JoefromCanada
Steinbach, Canada
“Much Better Than Last Year”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is the second year that this restaurant has been in business, and it seems as though they are getting better. Last year the food was average to bad, the staff was untrained and undisciplined, and the service was shoddy at best. My wife had the sloppy joe and I had the Hemi burger, and we each had onion rings. We were impressed! Everything tasted great, the wait time was acceptable (about 8-10 minutes) and the service was friendly. Looking into the back of the kitchen, we noticed that a LOT of changes have been done to the line, making it more streamlined and efficient. We will be definitely going again this summer, and we are really hoping they keep on getting better!

4 Thank Matthew R
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Ambiance...Very Average Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went to Bumpers on Mother's Day. We really liked the ambiance, but the food was very average. The menu says fresh homemade juicy burgers, but the patty tasted like a frozen pre-made patty. No self respecting burger joint uses frozen patties. Go to any of the burger joints in Winnipeg that are well known ( Dari-Whip, Mrs Mikes, VJ's, The North Star etc) and you'll see that every one of them makes their patties in house every day, from fresh ground beef. Customers expect that kind of quality when they go to a place like Bumpers On 52. Otherwise, you might as well go to McDonald's.
My wife had the Bacon Cheese Dog. She said it reminded her of the hotdogs that you get at Costco for $1.99 with a pop included. Fries and Onion Rings were ok. Service was on the slow side, and it was not overly busy at the time.
We won't be in rush to go back.

1 Thank Rich119
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Ive come here twice and it was a disaster. The service is terrible! I seen the manager passing out food and freaking out. Not impressed. Also I heard the cook swearing ! There are kids around! That's not acceptable. Also the only good thing is the ice cream but you have to wait 20 minutes for it! bumpers better get faster service or else it's going down.

1 Thank Leaffreak