“Did the Dig, Fun Time, bit expensive, but interesting”

Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Morden
More attraction details
Owner description: A Manitoba Star Attraction!The Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre houses the largest collection of marine reptile fossils in Canada. If you like dinosaurs or sea monsters you will love "Bruce" our 43 ft (13 mtr) Mosasaur, the fiercest of all the marine reptiles. He's bigger than a T Rex and just as scary. It's because of him that the Cretaceous seas were considered the most dangerous of all time. In 2014 the Guinness Book of World Records officially recognized Bruce as the largest Mosasaur on display ANYWHERE! Join our staff on the beautiful Manitoba Escarpment in their search for Bruce's mother. All you have to do is register for one of our Fossil Dig Programs to begin your own outdoor fossil finding adventure.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Did the Dig with my father to try something different and fun. it costs $50 per adult, , which is a little pricey. I think kids cost $40. The group starts with a tour of the museum, discussing each display and pointing things out that they feel are the essentials to know. Much appreciated. After the hour tour, you go 'back stage' into the room where the actual specimens are collected and catalogued. It was neat to see someone working on a fossil recovery, under microscope and all! Only real complaint about this, is that the group should be encouraged to go into the museum to read the writing on the walls before the tour starts, and older folks should be prepared for a lot of standing.

After we loaded into an old astro van, where we are driven out to a farmers field and given a paint brush. I was disappointed. I thought I would learn about tools used to recover and discover fossils. And I also expected to be working along side of actual people who are working towards a goal. This is what makes me frustrated with the price. I could get a paint brush and drive myself out onto other peoples property anytime.

On the way back to the main facility, the tour guide (who was very nice, and very knowledgable - which was very impressive given she worked there for only one season) asked if we wanted to see the actual dig site. The people had already left for the day, but it was very neat to see what they are doing, and how they are going about it.

During the dig, when walking around we found a few pieces of fossilized bone sitting on the surface, the guide said that after a rain things tend to pop up. No one actually found anything from digging. Which is another reason for why I'd suggest they rethink their dig option and find a way to take people to the actual site.

Bring a hat, sunscreen, insect (fly) repellent, and maybe a little foam pad to kneel on or sit on.

Be prepared for lots of standing and kneeling.

2  Thank WinnipegJennie
Peter C, Manager at Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2014

Glad you were able to come out and I regret the dig was not as fulfilling as it could be. Love the suggestion about letting people roam ahead of the tour to do a little in depth reading. We will definitely implement that. I am pleased to tell you that our dig experience has evolved significantly since you were last hear and while paint brushes are still our tool of choice (even for our palaeontologists) given the fragile nature of what is being uncovered our guests are brought to active dig sites where they can work with already partially uncovered fossils or work to discover new ones too. A few weeks ago we had a family from California (Dad and two daughters) find three amazingly preserved mosasaur vertebrae. Thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've always felt the hype for this place is more than what is actually offered. I hope that people who travel quite a distance aren't disappointed. What they offer is nice, it's just very small and low-budget.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Pretty cool actually. I was quite skeptic that this would be any good but its very entertaining.

2  Thank hipt123
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I had a good time here and seeing Bruce was amazing. We went in the spring during the day and it was very quiet. But a lot of fun!

2  Thank Wanderer201107