“New Years Stay!”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crickhowell
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked as a young couple to stay here on New Years eve for the meal and disco. We arrived in the afternoon and were checked in swiftly to a lovely room. The room was bright and very clean and mostly importantly, quiet! We used the spa in the afternoon which was nice however the pool was quite dirty in the corners at the bottom and could do with being refreshed! The green colour lining didn't help it look clean etiher!
From start to finish though the evening was fabulous! Staff were very friendly, and the room dressing was fantastic - we came down for a sneak preview in the afternoon and just said wow! The meal was a later being served than we booked for but it was worth the wait. sparkly and fireworks at midnight was a lovely touch and we dance the night away until gone 2.30 in the morning.
Breakfast was included the next morning with a nice variety. The cooked breakfast could do with some beans though! The evening package was good value for money, although the rooms were a little pricey.
Overall we had a fantastic stay and would definately visit again for a function or special occasion.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 which had a slight view of the beautiful scenery but only out of the side window s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine L, Manager at The Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and we're so glad you enjoyed your New Years Eve stay.
With regards to the pool, it was sand that was present in the corners of the pool rather than dirt as the filters had recently been changed.
The function room truly did look amazing and we hope to see you again, maybe to welcome in 2014 with us.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've just returned from the manor had a perfect stay can't wait for my wedding there next year now food was excellent staff were extremely friendly we stayed in room 23. Can't fault the place think I will be booking another relaxing stay soon

• Stayed: January 2013
Catherine L, Manager at The Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope Carrie enjoyed her 30th birthday celebrations. We're looking forward to organising your wedding next year and hope to see you both very soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

For a thee star hotel the food here is exceptional, lovely location and views, our room was a little tired bur considering what we paid and eat over the couple of days we were there we were really quite impressed with the manor and will certainly return one day

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the nicest view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Manor in the very near future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have been delighted with the friendly staff and menu choice at this establishment. Nothing is any trouble when you ask, the cuisine is super, presented beautifully and overall a comforting place to stay when on business after a long day at work.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your appreciative comments and we are delighted that you enjoy staying with us.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

the manor is always very welcoming especially as you get to know the staff. we find it very homely and relaxing as we both have stressful jobs.the moment we walk in all the stresses and strains are left at the door.the rooms,and we have stayed in six different ones are all delightful and always clean. we love to go straight down to the pool and jacuzzi and in the evening an excellent meal,and i am fussy as a chef is my profession. all i can say is my husband and i have totally connected with the manor and cant speak highly enough of the staff.

Room Tip: rooms 5 4 3 2 1 and 14 have excellent views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Manor once again and we're delighted to hear that you enjoy your visits with us. It means a lot to all the staff when we hear we were able to provide guests with such an enjoyable break. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Just had to write to say what a lovely New Years we had at The Manor. Warm welcome on arrival from Ainsleigh. Hotel was fabulously decorated with beautiful Christmas tree, fresh garlands, candles etc etc We settled in the comfy sofas in the bar for a couple of late afternoon drinkies.
Rooms were fine (I think some are a little more dated than others, but I have the feeling this is still a huge 'work in progress' as some rooms have been refurbished apparently.very clean and adequate) Front views are stunning!!

Then the evening; Lovely atmosphere, the main function room was 'WOW'! The whole room looked amazing! Fresh flowers....candelabras....beautiful table settings with chairs dressed in big bows. Meal was better than expected. All the staff were fabulous and friendly. DJ paced the whole evening just right and champagne with the fireworks set us up nicely for a great start to 2013!! Thank you to all at The Manor!! (we hope to visit again for Sunday Lunch as we've heard great reports!!

Room Tip: Front view ...thats all i can say
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. I'm glad the Manor impressed you on New Years Eve and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding over Christmas 2012. Double room was £110.
Food - we had the wedding menu in the evening, there was certainly plenty of it, including a huge slab of roast beef, all quite nice but not stunning (though leek and potato soup is highly recommended!). One lady didn't get any potatoes with her fish, by the time they brought them she had almost finished. Breakfast in the morning was good - freshly cooked, though my yoghurt's Best Before date was the day before (OK so I ate it anyway, but they need to check this stuff). The serving staff were friendly and polite.
The room - VERY COLD on first entering - it was late December and the heating was turned right down. Other guests said the same thing. We turned the radiators up and the room became warm eventually but this is not a nice way to welcome people. Flooring was wooden floorboards - I would prefer carpet particularly as it seemed all the colder! - and Welsh slate in the bathroom which may be posh but is FREEZING on the toes! Otherwise the room was OK but nothing very special.
Facilities - amazed to find in the holiday period the gym didn't open till 10. Considering it's part of the room cost I expected to be able to use it whenever I wanted (before breakfast). The unsmiling and grumpy afternoon receptionist simply said 'no it won't be open'. The evening receptionist said she'd ask the manager if I could go in early but never got back to me. However when I went down at around 7.20 am, a different receptionist was quite happy to open up for me on request, which was nice of her - if it was this easy why so much fuss? I'd spent a lot of aggro and time arguing the evening before and clearly there is no consistent practice. The gym is not staffed so there's no reason it can't be open 24 hours. It's a great facility to have there with a good range of equipment for a small gym (suggestion - you need some of those big bouncy balls!) so it was a pity it was such a bone of contention.
Access - there is NO LIFT which I now believe is something to do with it being a listed building, but they are not up front about this - you have to find the 'access statement' on the site and to be honest it never occurred to me a hotel would not have a lift, otherwise surely you are in breach of the Equality Duty? I watched my elderly mother (1 artificial hip and the other on its way out) and increasingly frail father struggle up the stairs. Fortunately my brother and I could carry their bags but this was simply not good enough and no apology or help was offered.
There is a magnificent black and white hotel cat called Guinness who definitely is a plus point in my opinion, but if you don't like cats don't go, as he has haired up the lounge reception furniture (I couldn't give a hoot personally but it's a good thing the bride didn't sit there!)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank E C
Catherine L, Manager at The Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. I'm surprised that you have passed comment on another guests meal as the salmon that they had for main course did actually come with potatoes as it was served on a bed of mash. The guest you refer to did ask if it was possible to have new potatoes as well and this request was carried out as swiftly as possible. As new potatoes were not part of the wedding menu they had to be freshly cooked and this is why they experienced a slight delay. All of this was relayed to the guest at the time and they were more than happy to wait.
I apologise that the heating wasn't switched on prior to your arrival, this was an oversight by the housekeeping department and they have been spoken to about this matter.
Whilst the leisure opening times had been altered during the Christmas period, we endeavour to open them earlier if possible for our guests convenience. They cannot be open 24 hours for health and safety purposes. Members of staff are always on duty during the opening hours.
Thank you for your feedback, all your comments have been taken on board and addressed with the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!