“Not good enough for the price”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Crickhowell
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not good enough for the price”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding over Christmas 2012. Double room was £110.
Food - we had the wedding menu in the evening, there was certainly plenty of it, including a huge slab of roast beef, all quite nice but not stunning (though leek and potato soup is highly recommended!). One lady didn't get any potatoes with her fish, by the time they brought them she had almost finished. Breakfast in the morning was good - freshly cooked, though my yoghurt's Best Before date was the day before (OK so I ate it anyway, but they need to check this stuff). The serving staff were friendly and polite.
The room - VERY COLD on first entering - it was late December and the heating was turned right down. Other guests said the same thing. We turned the radiators up and the room became warm eventually but this is not a nice way to welcome people. Flooring was wooden floorboards - I would prefer carpet particularly as it seemed all the colder! - and Welsh slate in the bathroom which may be posh but is FREEZING on the toes! Otherwise the room was OK but nothing very special.
Facilities - amazed to find in the holiday period the gym didn't open till 10. Considering it's part of the room cost I expected to be able to use it whenever I wanted (before breakfast). The unsmiling and grumpy afternoon receptionist simply said 'no it won't be open'. The evening receptionist said she'd ask the manager if I could go in early but never got back to me. However when I went down at around 7.20 am, a different receptionist was quite happy to open up for me on request, which was nice of her - if it was this easy why so much fuss? I'd spent a lot of aggro and time arguing the evening before and clearly there is no consistent practice. The gym is not staffed so there's no reason it can't be open 24 hours. It's a great facility to have there with a good range of equipment for a small gym (suggestion - you need some of those big bouncy balls!) so it was a pity it was such a bone of contention.
Access - there is NO LIFT which I now believe is something to do with it being a listed building, but they are not up front about this - you have to find the 'access statement' on the site and to be honest it never occurred to me a hotel would not have a lift, otherwise surely you are in breach of the Equality Duty? I watched my elderly mother (1 artificial hip and the other on its way out) and increasingly frail father struggle up the stairs. Fortunately my brother and I could carry their bags but this was simply not good enough and no apology or help was offered.
There is a magnificent black and white hotel cat called Guinness who definitely is a plus point in my opinion, but if you don't like cats don't go, as he has haired up the lounge reception furniture (I couldn't give a hoot personally but it's a good thing the bride didn't sit there!)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank E C
Catherine L, Manager at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. I'm surprised that you have passed comment on another guests meal as the salmon that they had for main course did actually come with potatoes as it was served on a bed of mash. The guest you refer to did ask if it was possible to have new potatoes as well and this request was carried out as swiftly as possible. As new potatoes were not part of the wedding menu they had to be freshly cooked and this is why they experienced a slight delay. All of this was relayed to the guest at the time and they were more than happy to wait.
I apologise that the heating wasn't switched on prior to your arrival, this was an oversight by the housekeeping department and they have been spoken to about this matter.
Whilst the leisure opening times had been altered during the Christmas period, we endeavour to open them earlier if possible for our guests convenience. They cannot be open 24 hours for health and safety purposes. Members of staff are always on duty during the opening hours.
Thank you for your feedback, all your comments have been taken on board and addressed with the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Just celebrated new years eve party here, 4 cpls in total,
The menu was stunning from the starter thru to the dessert,a bottle of wine per cpl with coffee and teas to.
Food was served to time with plenty of it and together and hot,service was impeccable.
The function room was oppulent and dressed in black with gold n silver.with quite a few dressed in black tie and evening dress.we all fitted in.
We celebrated bringing in the new year with a lovely fireworks display and champagne.
It ecceeded all our expectations.
A great evening had to all.

Well done to all staff at the manor.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your appreciate comments. It means a lot to all the staff when we hear we were able to provide guests with such an enjoyable event. We would love to welcome you again in the future.
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel has a lovely setting in a quiet village on the edge of a national park, the staff are all warm and friendly, nothing is too much trouble, spotlessly clean rooms, small gym and pool, nice dining area with a good choice for breakfast, lava bread if you fancy it, nice lounge bar area with lots of big comfy chairs to relax with a nice drink, really pleasant stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and we really appreciate your positive feedback. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A beautiful setting and a warm welcome greeted us and we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel is pet-friendly.
We met with friends as a party of 25 or so (about half stayed overnight) but tried out the swimming pool and hot tub before joining the others for out Xmas party. The pool area was small and dated and the pool was rather cold.
The bedroom was very comfortable with a great view but there was no bath and the water pressure made for difficult showering (it took ages for hot water to reach our room and then only at a dribble).
On to the function room, which looked wonderful - the meal was served hot, efficiently and was of a high quality.
However, too many table had been placed in the function room which limited the dancing area. This was helped by having one of the worst DJ's I have ever encountered - he insisted upon playing a constant, tuneless beat without any thought for the varied ages of the clientelle - when we asked for something more fitting (we suggested possibly some 80's music) he introduced Bill Haley and the comets as "classic tracks from the 60's"! But it wasn'tt long till he had reverted to his own mindless taste and pretty well emptied the dance floor.
Wine at the party was overpriced and of a poor quality which deteriorated through the night. Staff at the tables were over-zealous in removing glasses - sometimes when only a sip had been drunk from them - your glass was rarely at the table after you had ventured onto the dance-floor. The bar staff did try to remedy this by being efficient at serving and sympathetic to my tales of lost drinks.
Breakfast was disappointing both in quality and description - it was not a "Welsh breakfast"as described, which normally includes laverbread and cockles. To my mind and that of others who shared this meal, bacon, sausage, black pudding, egg and toast is almost a "full English".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your Christmas meal but am disappointed you didn't enjoy the entertainment. I'm sure you can appreciate that there was a very varied age range attending the function and our DJ has to try to please all parties.
I feel our wine list is quite extensive with a good selection to suit every pocket.
Our breakfast is described as a Welsh breakfast as we serve Welsh bacon, Welsh sausages and free range organic Welsh eggs. Laverbread and cockles are also available on our breakfast menu.
Once again, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write your review as it is only with this feedback that we can improve the services offered to our guests
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the third time we've stayed here and looking forward to the next. Our room, we were upgraded, was spacious with a fantastic view over to the Brecon Beacons. It was clean, the king sized bed was comfortable with crisp linen and all the usual amenities in the room like tea and coffee and biscuits. The bathroom was spacious - I didn't really get to grips with the shower and it seemed a bit weak but this would be my only gripe. The staff are very pleasant. Being vegetarian can sometimes be a problem but we were able to choose 'off menu' what we wanted to eat for dinner and were served a plentiful and well cooked meal. The breakfast was good with choice of fruit, cereals, yoghurt, juices, pastries, toast and hot food cooked to order. Unusual but very tasty veggie sausages were served. A very pleasant stay - sadly too short.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you choosing to stay at the Manor once again. We're delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable break. We look foward to welcoming you back soon and maybe you could stay a little longer this time.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed for one night for a wedding held at the hotel. We found the Manor to be very comfortable, characterful and atmospheric. Staff were very attentive, friendly and professional. Wonderful food. The room was large and bed extremely comfortable but the shower took a bit of time to work out and was not very powerful. Room was well equipped with a hairdryer, iron etc and plenty of storage for clothes. Did not try any of the spa or leisure facilities. Overall a very enjoyable weekend in the beautiful Welsh contryside.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 on the front corner of the building. The views from the double-aspect windows w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew on the hotel and we're delighted that you enjoyed your weekend break with us.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Manor for a romantic weekend (Nov 2012). The hotel is a lovely old house with great views over the valley. All the staff were very friendly and chatty. Food was delicious and even our fussy ways were catered for with a smile. Rooms (we had a "superior" one) were a very good size and wonderfully warm (important when it is cold and the Brecon Beacons are practically underwater with the rainfall). I would certainly recommend this hotel - I would be happy to go back as soon as I can.

Minor gripes (as I am fussy): the breakfast needs better sausages and my pepper sauce wasn't very peppery. But as I say, very minor, everything else was great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine L, Manager at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I’m delighted that you had an enjoyable time and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!