“VERY disappointing - shabby room, mediocre service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Crickhowell
United Kingdom
“VERY disappointing - shabby room, mediocre service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

I wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews below! I booked a superior room for my husband's birthday this weekend just gone, and like one of the reviewers below had expected something a bit special (for £120) but was seriously disppointed - don't under any circumstances let them fob you off with Room 14: really small, shabby, old-fashioned (not in a good way), dreadful view (the car park), small, grubby 1970s bathroom - thoroughly depressing in every way. There was a pile of dirty towels outside our room all night, and the surly bar staff started turning lights off and blowing candles out around us when we had literally just sat down with a drink (it was 10.45pm and we'd been told the bar was open till 11pm). Only plus point was nice breakfast and cheerful morning breakfast service - otherwise service was mediocre at best, particularly front of house. Maybe we were just unlucky... But we checked out as soon as we could and had a far nicer experience at a lovely little B+B in the centre of Crickhowell - easier access to the delicious food at The Bear! I am sure some of the rooms must be nicer than ours - given the positive reviews below they must be... Anyway, if you decide to stay there, good luck to you!
(When we go back we will be staying at The Bear or Ty Croeso - met people staying at both and they loved them.)

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room, service, attitude of front of house
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank aldcfb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
abertillery
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2007

I am writing in complete defence of the Manor, in my opinion one of the best venues in wales.
I got married here two years ago and hold the Hotel very close to my heart - my day was absolutely perfect in every way (except the weather) the wedding co-ordinator was very accomodating; especially considering the weather was dreadful - they made sure that I have somewhere to have photographs taken. Some of the larger hotel chains would not be so helpful in what could of been a stressful situation for me.
The meal was lovely, piping hot and obviously fresh ingredients, service from staff was second to none and everyone of my guests were commenting on the hotel, food and service.
It has been a while since my wedding; they have upgrading the hotel no end since then and I have been back to celebrate my anniversary and my mothers birthday, the service and food are still wonderful.
In my opinion this is a perfect venue for your perfect day.

• Liked — Cleanliness!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
1 Thank brick81
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

Only stayed for one evening but was very impressed. The plus points being its location, the tasteful decor and the genuine friendliness of all of the staff. Slight negative for the size of the bathroom but merely a minor point. Bed was very comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and my only regret was that I didn't have the opportunity to sample the food from the hotels' restaurant. Would I go back? Definitely (and intend to do so).

• Liked — Freindliness (as well as the same for our dog)
  • Disliked — Size of bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank heineken66
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend break at The Manor. The hotel has a lovely and relaxed country house feel with plenty of seating areas with leather sofas, polished floor boards and pictures. Our room with a side-view over Crickhowell was a good size, pretty, clean and comfortable with an extremely comfortable bed. We slept well. The dining room was nicely designed and a good size. Breakfasts were well cooked and plentiful, and our evening meals were delicious, all served with efficiency and friendliness. There was a function on Saturday night, but in no way did that detract from the service we received as individual guests, in fact we thought it was quite interesting as the hotel was the start and finish of a cross country rally on that occasion. The hotel is well placed for walks into Crickhowell, which is a lovely village, and also for a beautiful walk up Table Mountain. So no need to use the car at all. The weather was still pleasant enough to sit outside on the terraces to savour the outstanding views. We did not try out the spa, nor did we see any of the other bedrooms, but with all old houses turned into hotels, you will find discrepancies in room sizes and orientation, as they need to fit the house and it is difficult to standardize. To sum up, we had a great time, and maybe some of the previous reviewers who found the hotel lacking need to realise that for £47 BB per person per night in a 3-star hotel you cannot expect unadulterated luxury.

• Liked — The views and the country house feel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shamboleg
ellis15
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

went last weekend to a wedding & had read some previous reviews on this web site & not to say i was a bit wary,however we could not have been more pleased very comfortable & great food both for function and in the dinning room stayed for three days ,i had to write as i think some reviewers must nothing better to do than find fault.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ellis15
swansea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend in the Manor which my husband booked as a birthday suprise. (It was a trip down memory lane). He booked a superior room so we both expected something special. The room was large with picture windows overlooking the beacons, absolutely beautiful. The bed was comfy but the room distinctly lacked drawer space (there were none) and a dressing table. There was a mirror inside the wardrobe but the door wouldn't open fully as the bedside table was in the way and the only other mirror, apart from one in the bathroom, was high on the wall above the table with the tea making facilities on so nowhere to sit and get ready to go out..
I agree with other comments about a musty smell which to me smelled like a sack of rotting potatoes, though this was more apparent in the morning.
The staff were very helpful and friendly with nothing being too much trouble.
We ate in the restaurant both evenings and the food was superb on the first evening. The second evening my 'well done' steak was oozing blood so my husband had double helpings!!
Overall we had a nice break away but won't be going back to stay there.

• Liked — view from bedroom window
  • Disliked — lack of dressing table/drawers/accessible mirror
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank haffyd3
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

Both the hotel and the surrounding area are outstanding, we made the most of the spa and all the lovely treatments - we really spoiled ourselves!

Clean rooms, which are spacious and very well maintained, friendly (and helpful) staff .

There's loads of walking to be done in gorgeous landscapes we really worked up an apetite every day, which is just as well because the food is to die for!

I stayed at The Manor with my friend on a break from the city, next time I'm bringing my husband as it is very romantic.

• Liked — spacious rooms with lovely featrues
  • Disliked — my cupboard drawer sqeaked a bit
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jennycoates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Cwmtaf
Llansantffraed Court
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 2 in Abergavenny

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!