“loved every minute”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crickhowell
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I am writing in complete defence of the Manor, in my opinion one of the best venues in wales.
I got married here two years ago and hold the Hotel very close to my heart - my day was absolutely perfect in every way (except the weather) the wedding co-ordinator was very accomodating; especially considering the weather was dreadful - they made sure that I have somewhere to have photographs taken. Some of the larger hotel chains would not be so helpful in what could of been a stressful situation for me.
The meal was lovely, piping hot and obviously fresh ingredients, service from staff was second to none and everyone of my guests were commenting on the hotel, food and service.
It has been a while since my wedding; they have upgrading the hotel no end since then and I have been back to celebrate my anniversary and my mothers birthday, the service and food are still wonderful.
In my opinion this is a perfect venue for your perfect day.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank brick81

Reviewed October 21, 2007

Only stayed for one evening but was very impressed. The plus points being its location, the tasteful decor and the genuine friendliness of all of the staff. Slight negative for the size of the bathroom but merely a minor point. Bed was very comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and my only regret was that I didn't have the opportunity to sample the food from the hotels' restaurant. Would I go back? Definitely (and intend to do so).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank heineken66
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend break at The Manor. The hotel has a lovely and relaxed country house feel with plenty of seating areas with leather sofas, polished floor boards and pictures. Our room with a side-view over Crickhowell was a good size, pretty, clean and comfortable with an extremely comfortable bed. We slept well. The dining room was nicely designed and a good size. Breakfasts were well cooked and plentiful, and our evening meals were delicious, all served with efficiency and friendliness. There was a function on Saturday night, but in no way did that detract from the service we received as individual guests, in fact we thought it was quite interesting as the hotel was the start and finish of a cross country rally on that occasion. The hotel is well placed for walks into Crickhowell, which is a lovely village, and also for a beautiful walk up Table Mountain. So no need to use the car at all. The weather was still pleasant enough to sit outside on the terraces to savour the outstanding views. We did not try out the spa, nor did we see any of the other bedrooms, but with all old houses turned into hotels, you will find discrepancies in room sizes and orientation, as they need to fit the house and it is difficult to standardize. To sum up, we had a great time, and maybe some of the previous reviewers who found the hotel lacking need to realise that for £47 BB per person per night in a 3-star hotel you cannot expect unadulterated luxury.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shamboleg
Reviewed September 4, 2007

went last weekend to a wedding & had read some previous reviews on this web site & not to say i was a bit wary,however we could not have been more pleased very comfortable & great food both for function and in the dinning room stayed for three days ,i had to write as i think some reviewers must nothing better to do than find fault.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ellis15
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend in the Manor which my husband booked as a birthday suprise. (It was a trip down memory lane). He booked a superior room so we both expected something special. The room was large with picture windows overlooking the beacons, absolutely beautiful. The bed was comfy but the room distinctly lacked drawer space (there were none) and a dressing table. There was a mirror inside the wardrobe but the door wouldn't open fully as the bedside table was in the way and the only other mirror, apart from one in the bathroom, was high on the wall above the table with the tea making facilities on so nowhere to sit and get ready to go out..
I agree with other comments about a musty smell which to me smelled like a sack of rotting potatoes, though this was more apparent in the morning.
The staff were very helpful and friendly with nothing being too much trouble.
We ate in the restaurant both evenings and the food was superb on the first evening. The second evening my 'well done' steak was oozing blood so my husband had double helpings!!
Overall we had a nice break away but won't be going back to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank haffyd3
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Both the hotel and the surrounding area are outstanding, we made the most of the spa and all the lovely treatments - we really spoiled ourselves!

Clean rooms, which are spacious and very well maintained, friendly (and helpful) staff .

There's loads of walking to be done in gorgeous landscapes we really worked up an apetite every day, which is just as well because the food is to die for!

I stayed at The Manor with my friend on a break from the city, next time I'm bringing my husband as it is very romantic.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jennycoates
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Very disappointed. Room was not in good condition with things like broken switches. TV system gives poor pictures in all rooms. Staff did not replenish the breakfast buffet and service was not good.

They have private functions at weekends with a pop band playing extremely loud till 1AM. When guests complained hotel claimed all are told in advance of it...but this was not true.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank leonard9ca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!