All reviews sandwiches afternoon tea the river country house high tea fly fishing buffet style wonderful setting trout fishing wine list salmon special treat kippers log fire antique furniture comfortable hotel dinner menu
Reviewed August 11, 2018

Beautiful setting but lack of vegan options for afternoon tea. Booked a week ahead to ensure they knew, and I expected mini sandwiches like everyone else with a vegetable/salad filling.

Instead, I had four massive rolls - the size of my fist - that were so bready it would've been carb overload. So instead I ate the fillings - roasted vegetables (tasty) and salad. My only suggestion would be that if you're going to use vegan butter in big rolls, please just use that same butter and do little sandwiches for vegans just like everyone else! Also there was only one sweet, and a fruit pot, a vegan cake or brownie would've been nice :-)

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

Just returned from three nights at Gliffaes, our first visit. First thing to say is that it is a fabulously well run hotel in a wonderful location. If you want to get away from it all, then this is definitely for you. The grounds and views around the hotel are stunning and you’ll never tire of the trees and the River Usk that surrounds the hotel. The staff and service were also exemplary from start to finish and the rooms and the food were well up to standard. On our journey home we couldn’t really think of anything that could be improved upon and we will look forward to returning for another relaxing holiday just as soon as we can.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2018

Just had a birthday weekend at Gliffaes, wonderful surprise of a half bottle of presecco in the room. We were in room 6 , best room in the hotel with fantastic views of the valley and river. Ate in the restaurant Friday and Sat, delicious meals with good service. Husband fished on the river, proberly one of the best in the country, didn't catch but conditions were against him, he said who cares when you fish in such a perfect setting. Dogs stayed in kennels, which are good sized and housed in a barn. Only down side is dogs are NOT allowed in the hotel, we were lucky as the weather was good so we could be together on the patio and in the grounds, with a dip in the river when no one was fishing. Many thanks to all the staff for a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: River view is the best but not cheap
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

A beautiful setting for a family reunion. Staff were very friendly, especially the waiting staff who couldn’t do enough to help.
Stayed in a lovely room in a separate block, very clean and well kept, very comfortable bed.
Beautiful walks around the grounds, stunning food, a delightful place that I would happily return to.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank England_UKLisa
Reviewed July 5, 2018

What an absolutely fabulous hotel, I cannot recommend it highly enough. From the moment we arrived I knew we on a winner, courteous staff fantastic locale and brilliant rooms. We went fishing, cycling, walking and dining....and what a superb meal worth 6 stars on its own. I was so impressed with the staff they couldn’t do enough for us.....love the place and I will return.
Thank you!

Room Tip: They are all lovely but for that extra ummph ask for a river view
Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple