“Great hotel & service”

Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crickhowell
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and attentive staff. Gorgeous location with a lovely walk by the river and a comfortable warm open fire to relax by. Food and service were also excellent.

There was only one thing that would have improved our stay. We visited for our 5th anniversary before our wedding and nothing was done to make our stay extra special. I'm not sure if this is the norm but other hotels we've stayed in and worked at have at least acknowledged special occasions with guests. Whether it's just a quick congratulation on check in, or a small card or small extras like chocolate dipped strawberries.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed just one night at Gliffaes Hotel, but another two or three would have been even better! It is a classic, refined hotel, with comfortable warm rooms and spotlessly clean. The afternoon teas in the conservatory are a treat after a walk in the gardens and down to the River Usk, which runs below the hotel.
Our evening meal was delicious, with a good choice and extensive wine list. Breakfast choice was all you could want, again very good. and the service top rate. Fully recommended for a relaxing stay in a lovely secluded setting.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are quiet, with good garden views, and we were especially lucky to be upgrade...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

After seeking out a special location to celebrate our friends birthday, I was surprised to learn when booking a table that I had to leave a £40 deposit. Only to find when paying the bill, the hotel tried to double charge. On challenging this, was told by the staff that I was rude. This followed with the staff being barracked in front of customers by a senior staff member.
Also observed another altercation with a customer. Will not be returning

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wendy A
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a very large room in what must have been a lodge opposite the main house. Very comfortable and luxurious room. No water pressure half way through a morning shower was an issue, had to rinse soapy hair in basin with cold water. The food was excellent and service was good, all the staff attentive and friendly. The house is set in the most amazing grounds which have to be walked to appreciate fully.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We were very surprised to read the review of a visitor on 12th January 2014 and felt compelled to share our experiences, which have been so different. Gliffaes is an old country hotel full of character, hospitality, good food and wine.

We first visited about 15 years ago and have probably been back over 20 times since at various times of the year, so feel quite qualified to comment. The food has always been excellent but I imagine not to the liking of those who might grade their meal on 'plate coverage' criteria! The food is locally sourced and freshly cooked. The breakfasts are second to none in my opinion, and I am comparing with the excellent high standard of Le Manoir in that.

The wood fires are usually roaring away in the winter but, quite sensibly, some of the extensive corridors are not so warm, but in our experience it is often necessary to turn the heating down in the bedrooms!

As for service, it has never been our experience that the staff have been anything but very helpful and nothing has ever been too much trouble.

The setting of Gliffaes is stunning by any standards and naturally the Winter period is the worst time of year to appreciate that.

I think the writer of the January review, that I have highlighted, may have visited at a particularly difficult time for James and Susie Suter, the owners, and I would suggest they be given the opportunity to prove the experience to be so very out of character.

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful views. Our preference is towards the river. Bear in mind that it is an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian B
Reviewed February 26, 2014

When you are recommended a hotel, by two completely separate people, and one of those asks you to go along with them for a special event, you develop expectations that you hope will not be disappointed.
The occasion was a champagne dinner, held late Feb 2014, and in need of a few days away from the pressures of life we decided to stay for two nights, splashing out a little by booking a large double room with views over the river Usk - not cheap!
The online booking went a little wrong - a lower price being advertised than really available - but the hotel honored the advert (after a little compromise by me to show I am an understanding guy) and we looked forward to our welsh sojourn for weeks.
We were not disappointed. The hotel staff and facilities were welcoming, warm and comfortable. The room luxurious (although the DAB radio didn't appear to work). The food excellent. The grounds extensive - although had been more productive in the past I am sure.
We discovered, prior to arriving, that our view of the river Usk would be obstructed by scaffolding as pre-arranged works had been delayed and a discount of £40 per night would be applied. Yes, scaffolding had been erected but the effect on our view was minimal. We still accepted the refund however - thanks James!

Unfortunately, my disrupted sleep quality was a little adversely affected, not by the quality of the room and bed but my enjoyment of the food and beverages on offer!

To our mind, the only improvement that could have been made would have been to the weather - but the hotel did their best to improve this but failed miserably!!!!!!!!!! It is Wales after all.

We shall certainly be going here again

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3, the former Library, which was really nice. We are told that room 4, next door...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I and my family had dinner at the Gliffaes last night and I must say that it was of the best restaurant that I have been to ,the staff were great and very helpful, the surroundings are the best, food was delicious, I had glazed Quail, and then the lamb rump ,and then apple and rhubarb crumble ,and it was the best so we will be back , well we are going back tonight for the Champagne Dinner so I will let you know how it go's (if it is like the last it will be the best ) thank you The Gliffaes

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to Gliffaes Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!