“Lived up to high expectations”

Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crickhowell
Reviewed February 26, 2014

When you are recommended a hotel, by two completely separate people, and one of those asks you to go along with them for a special event, you develop expectations that you hope will not be disappointed.
The occasion was a champagne dinner, held late Feb 2014, and in need of a few days away from the pressures of life we decided to stay for two nights, splashing out a little by booking a large double room with views over the river Usk - not cheap!
The online booking went a little wrong - a lower price being advertised than really available - but the hotel honored the advert (after a little compromise by me to show I am an understanding guy) and we looked forward to our welsh sojourn for weeks.
We were not disappointed. The hotel staff and facilities were welcoming, warm and comfortable. The room luxurious (although the DAB radio didn't appear to work). The food excellent. The grounds extensive - although had been more productive in the past I am sure.
We discovered, prior to arriving, that our view of the river Usk would be obstructed by scaffolding as pre-arranged works had been delayed and a discount of £40 per night would be applied. Yes, scaffolding had been erected but the effect on our view was minimal. We still accepted the refund however - thanks James!

Unfortunately, my disrupted sleep quality was a little adversely affected, not by the quality of the room and bed but my enjoyment of the food and beverages on offer!

To our mind, the only improvement that could have been made would have been to the weather - but the hotel did their best to improve this but failed miserably!!!!!!!!!! It is Wales after all.

We shall certainly be going here again

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3, the former Library, which was really nice. We are told that room 4, next door...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I and my family had dinner at the Gliffaes last night and I must say that it was of the best restaurant that I have been to ,the staff were great and very helpful, the surroundings are the best, food was delicious, I had glazed Quail, and then the lamb rump ,and then apple and rhubarb crumble ,and it was the best so we will be back , well we are going back tonight for the Champagne Dinner so I will let you know how it go's (if it is like the last it will be the best ) thank you The Gliffaes

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Had my first visit recently to celebrate my mothers birthday. The staff were welcoming and friendly and the decor was delightful. The main room was warm however the conservatory was chilli ( it is February though so to be expected)
The afternoon tea was delicious. Plenty of tea and coffee. They even made decaf for my sister. There were delicate sandwiches and cakes and the tastiest scones I have had for a long time. Must say the best afternoon tea I have ever had!!

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were in Room 22, a standard double where the thin Dimplex wall heater was totally inadequate to heat the room making it too cold to sit in. The only means of heating the bathroom was a towel rail which was not switched on when we arrived but it didn't heat the room anyway.
The corridors and staircases on the first floor were not heated either making the overall environment unwelcoming.

There were log fires in the drawing room and dining room but these were not adequate to heat the rooms to a comfortable temperature. On our second morning the waitress tried to breathe some life into the fire in the dining room at 9.30 am but to no avail. How about lighting the fire early enough to make the room warm for breakfast guests?The only room which was comfortably warm was the small bar but there was not enough space or seats there for all guests to use the room.

The Roberts radio in the room was a nice touch but it didn't work on DAB or FM on the first day. Wi-Fi didn't work in the room either. We aren't impressed by UHT milk in sachets on tea trays when marketing materials boast about luxury but when we asked we were given some fresh milk.

The food and service in the dining room was very poor. At breakfast we had to ask for everything; the staff didn't use any initiative - marmalade, more milk, more toast - it all seemed like a struggle for the staff and us. We were given an uncooked, tepid kipper on the first day and when we told the waiter he just took the plate away without saying anything. We told the receptionist but she obviously couldn't improve the situation because day two was worse with cold tomatoes and mushrooms. The waitress we complained to did apologise but just what is happening in a kitchen which cannot produce simple hot food? Dinner was no better with the duck and lamb not quite hot enough and lacking in flavour - was it prepared in a factory a long way from Wales we ask? At least when we asked the waitress if the cheese was served at room temperature or straight from the fridge she was honest when she told us it came from the fridge. We passed on that!

When we came to pay the bill we told the receptionist that we were dissatisfied but she made no attempt to address our concerns. Throughout our stay there didn't appear to be anyone taking responsibility for quality and customer care and young, inexperienced staff were left to muddle through. We assume the man who escorted guests from the bar to the dining room in the evening is the owner - he could make better use of his time sorting out the heating system, putting logs on the fires and employing better kitchen staff.

Room Tip: Only go if you are prepared to tolerate poorly heated rooms and mediocre food.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cymraes2014
grout, Owner at Gliffaes Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Well, I have certainly let you down and not delivered up to any decent standard in respect of food, service and heating. I can offer no excuses as there are none for the sort of service you highlighted in your report, but I will be investigating everything you mentioned.

I am disappointed that my receptionist did not try and contact me when you were checking out, I realise that I would have not been able to make good anything that had already happened but it would have been good to apologise.

If you are the reviewer I would very much like you to get in touch so I might be able to apologise in person and try to make amends, thank you.

Yours sincerely
James Suter

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Have been here several times in the past and decided to treat ourselves with a Xmas away (no family this year). The food has improved even more and especially the meals on Christmas Day at breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner were quite outstanding. One has to compliment the owner, his family and all the staff for making this a memorable time for us. Not forgetting the excellent carol singing on Xmas Eve from local inhabitants of Crickhowell and district. Well done Gliffaes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I stay at Gliffaes once a year. Set in a stunning, peaceful location with old world service and fantastic food.

It is not "bling" but if you want peace, quiet, good food and wine in welcoming and beautiful surroundings, this is the place.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 2, 2013

12 of us ladies went for afternoon tea yesterday and had made arrangements for lifts etc only to be informed that the bar would not open until 6pm!!!!!! very disappointing. We were told on the telephone that the bar is usually closed on a Sunday afternoon but would open on request if anyone wanted a drink. We had have our hearts set on a glass of wine as well and would have been perfectly happy just to have a couple of bottles on the table with us but we were not allowed any alcohol!!The afternoon tea is self - service and the cakes were very nice although the bread was a little stale and the tea only warm! the outside is also extremely dark with no lighting so a walk in the pitch black to the car park. The staff however are all very polite, the place is very clean and tidy and well kept and the furniture highly polished etc. It is in the most beautiful setting sadly these little things let the place down big time. Please open bar and maybe after a few glasses of wine we would not have noticed the stale bread and maybe visit the Angel and pick up some tips for a luxury afternoon tea!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rachel77Wales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to Gliffaes Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!