All reviewsold coaching innchickencourtyard roomthe pubcoach househanging basketsgreat atmospherebar mealsold buildingexcellent foodsaturday nightbrecon beaconsstandard roomsteakbed was very comfortablelovely placean evening meal
Reviewed August 29, 2016

Went here for a meal - so, not actually staying in the hotel. Reviews on here had made it sound unfriendly but that was not the case at all. Staff were all very attentive and pleasant.

I had Welsh rarebit (when in Wales) so not the most complex of dishes but it was done well. This was accompanied by sweet potato fries and followed by chocolate brownie. (Though was more of a chocolate cake than a brownie.) I enjoyed my meal but the other members of my party were less impressed. Would still recommend as worth a try though.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2016

A round trip of 50 miles from the Monmouth Show to eat at the Bear, on reputation and past experience, proved to be misplaced expectation.
Chicken Supreme from the main menu departed from traditional cream sauce to a thin bisto gravy, so-called saute potatoes lacked any colour, the broccoli was raw.
Chagrilled amb shank from the "specials" was tender but cold. It was changed for something else but without any sense they had got it wrong.
The popularity of the place is clear to see. Raise the bar guys, I and probably others might think of returning.

4  Thank malcolm_glainger
Reviewed August 29, 2016

My partner and I went for tea during our recent stay in Crickhowell. The hotel was very busy, however we found a table and ordered pretty quickly. Considering how busy it was our food arrived in good time and was very tasty. I had the lamb shank and my partner had the burger, both of which were lovely. For pudding my partner had sticky toffee pudding which was a huge piece and looked tasty and I had the Eton mess, again a big portion and very nice. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed August 29, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I stayed with our dog and from the website it looked like we were in for a lovely stay. However the room was very small and was in need of freshening up...considering it was £115 for the room you can get a lot better for your money elsewhere! The breakfast was also a real let down and during our stay the staff on the whole came across as lacking in enthusiasm and friendliness. It states on the website your dog also gets a bowl of chicken on arrival...this didn't happen either. Really disappointing after some of the reviews I read, won't be returning!

1  Thank BPreece
Reviewed August 25, 2016 via mobile

After seeing such lovely reviews I was expecting an exceptional meal or at least something a little bit more special. I was excited to try some food. It's an environment that I greatly appreciated and can't fault the service but the food was rather disappointing I had a chicken mayo sandwich and garlic butter skinny fries: I was expecting some freshly made bread considering there was a bakery opposite and some fresh garlicky crispy fries. I was served a small amount of chicken in fake garlic flavoured mayo between what I assume was generic white loaf and soggy frozen and deep fried fries smothered in the same fake garlic flavoured butter having worked in restaurants you can tell those fries had been waiting a while before being sent out. Four hours later i still have the same taste in my mouth as I do when you have a kebab at the end of a night out. It's not pleasant.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family