“Fantastic!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Crickhowell B&B and Inns
Wales
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed at this wonderful hotel for two nights with my wife for Valentines. Fantastic just about sums up everything that you need to know if you like quaint "Oldy Worldy" type hotels with loads of character. Not far from the beaten track in a lovely little village this is one of the nicest hotels that we have stayed in. The service was impeccable with nothing too much trouble, the room itself was neat and clean, the range of beers, wines and spirits would suit everyones taste and the general ambience and atmosphere was enchanting and relaxing. We ate in the restaurant on one night and in the bar on the second and the food on both nights was exquisite, easily amongst the best we have ever had. They do get fairly busy so I would recommend booking the restaurant when you book your room if you intend to eat in there. Breakfast is served in a delightful dining area and, even when busy, the service was prompt and friendly. Unlike many hotels of this nature there is a huge car park to the rear of the building and, if you are lucky enough to stay in one of the annexe rooms as we did, you can park your car literally outside your bedroom door. If you want to really enjoy your stay at this fine hotel and to avail yourself of the food and drinks available it is not cheap so don't expect it to be. It does, however, represent real value for money and we certainly came away determined to return as soon as possible. On this occasion we had booked a double room and because we have a superking sized bed at home my wife found it harder to sleep and she blamed me for hogging the covers. This could have been due to the large malt whiskey that I had before retiring but who knws? When we stay again, which we will, we will book one of the rooms with a larger bed, or preferably two rooms! There were one or two extremely minor things that we brought to the attention of the reception staff who dealt with them in a professional manner. To say that they were complaints or that they in any way impacted negatively on our stay would be like buying a Rolls Royce and then saying that the tyres were too black.
Brilliant in every way!

Room Tip: We are in our fifties and enjoy good health and we stayed in room 31 which is one of the annexe room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A dog accepting, charming little hotel with a great restaurant. We have been twice and we'll definitely return, it has become a late summer custom! The hotel is in the centre of Crickhowell, cosily furnished, clean and friendly.

Room Tip: We always chose the garden room with its own entrance as we are staying with our dog.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JitkaW
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Everything was perfect exept the waiting staff speak very little or no English. The food is great value it may seem expensivewhen you look at the menu but you have plenty of it and it's all locally produced.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jehoiada
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Bear is a very pretty and comfortable pub; log fires, very well decorated, good ambience, very good cask beer. Most of the customers appeared to be "not of Welsh origin" though (don't get me wrong, neither am I). Mostly English origin grey-pounds, with some Americans "doing" Europe. If you want to chat to "locals", try the Bridge End Inn, on the river. Cask ale is just as good there.
Not stayed here, so can't comment on rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abingdon UK.
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Just returned, from my 2nd visit, in 2 months, I can truly say, what a place!
All the staff, I have come into contact with, are polite, hard working, just, plain GOOD, at what they do!
The food, I can say, is, after sampling a small part of the menu, over a total of 3 nights, of a very high quality indeed.
Couple this with very able staff, a massive, plus point.
I have used this hotel, as base, for access to the Beacons National park, the hotel is located right in the center of town.
You are just made WELCOME, and treated royally.
The restaurant, is a treat, but the bar meals, just as fabulous!
Rooms are compfy, beds just right.
Go and enjoy, a treat, indeed!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank HAPPYTRAVELLER448
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Returned to The Bear after 12+ years and found it has just gone from strength to strength. The rooms are delightful, the food is first class, the service is charming and everything is reasonably priced. This time they had plenty of rooms the night we stayed and upgraded us for no reason at all other than they could. You can't go wrong with The Bear.
(P.S. I've given a 4 rather than 5 for sleep quality but only because our room happened to be very hot. We could have done something about it, to be fair, but we'd had such a good time at the restaurant and bar we were too worn out to bother!)

Room Tip: All rooms I've had at The Bear over the years have been great but if you want a late lie in I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank splashcat
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

3.01.13Recently called for lunch, we were given a choice of menus from the bar, My wife had lamb cawl and I ordered a ploughmans for £9.95, 10 minutes later we were approached by the waiter saying they had No pork pie for the ploughmans, I said no problem, leave the Pork pie off, he returned to say that they are 'struggling' with the ploughmans and that I should not have been given that Menu? I said "Do your best, a nice ham & cheese salad will be fine, and he assured me they will 'put something together' 10 mins later my wifes lamb arrived (which she enjoyed) and my salad...Well ...2 very small pieces of bread, 3 slices of ham and a thin chunk of cheese, Bearing in mind the lady next to me had salad and tomatoes on her plate, I thought this as a poor attempt.
Say nothing I thought, so after persueding another waitress to bring me some branston, we finished our lunch and asked for the bill, yes you've probably guessed we were asked to pay full price!!! considering a Ham baguette with all the trimmings is £4.95 we thought NO! and after the barman took yet another trip to the kitchen our bill was reduced by a massive £2.00
Needless to say we will not be returning for lunch again.
Nice Pub, Nice surroundings, shame about the service

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank derek l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crickhowell
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
#1 of 2 in Abergavenny
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!