“Delicious food, excellent service”
Review of Drawing Room

Ranked #11 of 24 Restaurants in Builth Wells
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2011

If you want a delightful experience, try this lovely restaurant. you will not find better service anywhere. Mealanie Dawson and her husband Colin are excellent hosts. Melanie could not be more helpful and she and Colin produce the delicious food on offer. The atmosphere in the reataurant is very calm and relaxed. You can enjoy a pre-dinner drink in the comfortable leather sofas in the lounge. Try the lamb or guinea fowl which we particularly enjoyed. There are three bedrooms so that you do not have to drink and drive. We slept well in the comfortable Otis and thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. The berry muesli was sensational and I would go back just for that!. So if you fancy a great evening out, try the Drawing Room.

Reviewed April 5, 2011

We booked via the Times promotion for Mr&MrsSmith hotels. If you do a Google street view search don't be fooled by the exterior, plain Welsh and grey inside in a real treasure trove of delights. The front door opens straight into a split parlour both very well decorated with cozy armchairs and real wood burning fires. Melanie is the perfect host but Colin is a man of mystery! A little bell gets her attention every time and no request is too much trouble. 5 bedrooms so a max of 10 people and no kids under 12 I believe. During our stay there were three couples and we all rubbed along nicely. But a full house might feel a little tight but who knows. Walls are functional for a guest house but not sound proofed so amorous couples beware we might all know your pet names by breakfast time!
The food, well what can I say to convey how delicious this was. I think it's fair to say C&M pay attention to detail. Sourcing some of the most lucious foodstuffs and preparing then with a twist. You must try the shallot in pastry with the black beef and horse radish cream. This would be my Desert Island luxury.
Starters and desserts both again were imaginative and filling. My wife loved the sticky toffee pudding and my lemon creme brûlée just divine.
Coffee served with truffles .... These need a health warning they are melt in the mouth gorgeous.
Our room was bijou but again they had spared no expense with under floor heating in the shower / toilet with very good water pressure to blow away those city blues.
I think there should be a picture of Colin as he was definitely the man of mystery throughout our stay.
If you want a delightful, cozy, peaceful B&B that serves exquisite food then this is the place in Newbridge on Wye.
Check in, tune out and let the world pass you by.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

More a restaurant with rooms or a boutique hotel, the owners set very high standards of presentation, decor, comfort and cooking, without being stuffy or overly formal. If you are staying in the area and can afford it, I'd recommend this over one of the larger hotels in Builth or Llandrindod Wells, particularly if you like elegance and peace and quiet.

Only quibbles were the request in the literature not to drink your own alcohol in the rooms (you are asked to buy their -very expensive- stuff); we could easily hear our neighbours in the adjacent room and the hostess, when serving food, said "thank you" so many times it became annoying.

But these are minor niggles. We really enjoyed our stay and the food was very good: recommended.

ownerWales, Owner at Drawing Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

Thank-you for your recommendation.
You are correct in your observation that we are a restaurant with rooms and not a boutique hotel.
I would like to comment on the minor niggles:
It is a huge problem in our industry that people think it's O.K to bring their own wine etc.
I have put in the room folder a request "that guests don't drink their own because I have a license to sell it. It's part of our business and how we make living."
Would you take your own beer to a pub or tea and sandwiches to a cafe?
I go to great lengths to select the wines from artisan vineyards who produce wines generally in small quantities. The price reflects the quality. I have around 50 wines on my list with 5 "house wines" from £20. I don't think it is expensive.
I am aware that when it is really quiet you can sometimes hear other guests. It's an old Georgian house and we were limited to what we could do with it when we re-furbished. I am however presently looking in to possible ways of soundproofing where needed.
I'm sorry I annoyed you by being polite. Did you really count how many times I said thank-you?............SAD
Melanie Dawson

Reviewed May 11, 2010

This is a wonderful find. The restaurant is in an old farmhouse and it is beautifully decorated. The rooms have all the luxuries that you would find in a boutique hotel. We stayed in 'Phoebe' which was a lovely double room, the other room that we saw was smaller. Dinner was three courses and the steak was delicious. The owner really is a perfectionist. Dinner about £50/head including wine and drinks before dinner. The rooms were £80 and £90 per night.

Reviewed June 14, 2009

has a perfect stay at the drawing room -the hotel rooms were superb, the food divine, the ambience mellow and the price extremly reasonable. recommended highly