“Brilliant cooking”

Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Been before and the standard of cooking at the Carlton continues to be very impressive and a lovely evening to remember

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Loved the food and the characters!
Beautifully cooked and served with panache.Good choice of locally sourced produce.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We came for a special dinner to celebrate our anniversary, and it ticked all our boxes. The setting is lovely, right next to the river with beautiful views. The service is attentive but unobtrusive - we felt cared for but not overwhelmed! And the food - well, the food is fantastic. My starter of pea mousse and local Carmarthen ham was delicious and fun, and my husband equally raved about his smoked haddock fishcake. Our main courses were beef and lamb respectively and couldn't be faulted. And for pudding we both had the "trio of rhubarb", mini jellies, fools and crumbles, with a perfect blend of sweet and tart. Very good wine selection including an imaginative selection of half bottles. All in all very much recommended.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wanting to try something new, we opted to start visiting restaurants from the Great British Menu Chefs, and as the Carlton Riverside is only an hour and a half away it seemed only right to support a Welsh Chef and I did enjoy Mary Ann Gilchrist during her week cooking to representing Wales.

So the Gourmet Break offered excellent value, as the price included B&B, pre-dinner drinks, dinner and wine throughout your meal & our coffee with petit fours to finish.

Mary Ann had taken account of your dietary requirements beforehand and having an issue with wheat may had limited the options, though I don't believe we missed out on anything.

I am not a wine drinker as I tend to enjoy sweeter drinks like Martini Bianco though I was up for the experience of trying each of the different wines from their cellar that Alan had matched to each course, and he did an excellent job. I enjoyed each wine with the food, though once the food was gone I couldn't drink any more wine, not that Hubby minded, especially the Rijoa that accompanied the Roast Rack of Welsh Lamb :) mmmmmmmmmm. Alan ensured our glasses were never too low either, excellent service. Coffee finished our evening in the lounge to what was a very enjoyable and relaxing evening.

We were full but not uncomfortable, perfect.

Our only disapointment was as we had opted to book for our actual anniversary day and being a mid weekend our friends and family couldn't join us, so we'll just have to book again to share this experience with those that mean the most to us.

Finally, thank you Mary Ann and Alan it has to be one of the best experiences we have had in a restaurant and I really do hope we get the opportunity to visit again soon. In the mean time, all the best trust you have a successful year.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

It does it exactly watt is says in the tin -- Top Quality locally sourced food - treated and cooked with expertise .. thoroughly enjoyable experience and highly recommended