I was invited to visit with a friend who had been many times in the past, but not for some years, due to family circumstances. We were greeted by Mary Ann, who is most definitely a one-off, doesn't suffer fools gladly and is one of the most interesting people I have met in a long time! I had the Chapel Room to myself, and was very comfortable there. We had opted for a two night gourmet break and initially I was a little disappointed that Mary Ann wasn't cooking on either night, but her young chef Luke produced two superb dinners, to her creative recipes, and clearly has a bright future ahead of him. Every course was inspired and the beef was the best I have ever tasted As for the chocolate fondant, it was heaven on a plate. Alan's quiet hosting and his expert selection of wines to accompany each course was the perfect foil. Having read the occasional negative review on this site I wonder just what some people expect. If you want super-posh, go to the Dorchester, but you won't get better food. For myself, outstanding and largely locally sourced food served in comfortable and homely surroundings is what I seek, and what I got. Oh, and the breakfast is great too. I will definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well appointed restaurant with rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your Carlton Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Riverside Hotel Llanwrtyd Wells
- Carlton Riverside Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales - Powys