This review should really be split in two: the hotel and the restaurant. The hotel first; a distinctive blue building right on the River Irfon at the bridge near the crossroads of this 'town' (although calling Llanwrtyd Wells a 'town' is stretching it a bit), Carlton Riverside has a homely, if slightly faded and sleepy feel to it in general, in the daytime. The Gilchrists are genial and very helpful hosts who have been in the business for decades, Mr. G being a welcoming and attentive proprietor who came and fixed the faulty lock on our room door very quickly. We stayed in one of the Chapel Rooms overlooking the imposing 19th century Methodist Chapel over the road, which was small (some might say cramped) and not dusted properly, but comfortable enough. The small ensuite bathroom was adequate for our needs. Breakfast was nicely cooked and efficiently served each morning. However, when the lights fade in this near deserted area of Wales, the Carlton Riverside becomes something very different. The restaurant is transformed into a classy, gourmet haven which has (rightly) won fame throughout Wales and beyond. Mrs. Gilchrist is a well known and highly respected professional chef and the combination of culinary excellence and locally sourced ingredients made our stay more than worthwhile. If we had a grumble, it was that the portions were on the stingy side (and at £23 for a rack of lamb, you want as much as possible) but the quality of the food and the very good service could not be denied. We would certainly visit Carlton Riverside as a restaurant again, but as it takes approximately three minutes to explore everything Llanwrtyd Wells has to offer (not a lot to be honest), we would probably stay somewhere a little livelier next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well appointed restaurant with rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your Carlton Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Riverside Hotel Llanwrtyd Wells
- Carlton Riverside Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales - Powys