Lasswade Country House Hotel
Belle Vue Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
$76
Very Good 4/5
Neuadd Arms Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
$112
Toprooms.com
Very Good 4/5
The Lake Country House & Spa(Llangammarch Wells)
$227
Great 4.5/5
$169
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Commodore(Llandrindod Wells)
$97
Good 3.5/5
Glen Usk Hotel(Llandrindod Wells)
$107
$99
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Bronfelin Holiday Cottage(Llanwrtyd Wells)
TripAdvisor
Excellent 5/5
Ty Carreg(Llanwrtyd Wells)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Excellent 5/5
All reviewslovely hostsexcellent chefevery eveningrooms are cleanstayed one nightfantastic placefull english breakfastsurrounding countrysidereal alemid walesb bemmahospitalityhorses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We recently spent a cold January weekend at Lasswade, which was a perfect spot for a break - quiet, comfortable, cozy. Roger and Emma were lovely hosts, welcoming and friendly, with plenty of tips to share about this new-to-us area of Mid Wales. Roger mapped out a great drive with stops for walking, pub recommendations and points of local history. We took advantage of the lovely bay window in our room, perfect for sitting with tea and cake or a glass of champagne (or all of the above, which we did!) and watching the light fade over the fields and hills.

As others have said, the food was wonderful, and what a treat to have three lovely and different courses served with such care and attention to detail. Breakfast was served in a glassed-in room with views over the River Irfon - great cooked breakfast, but other options, too, including yummy porridge and honey. We left on Monday morning fuelled up for our drive over the Abergwesyn road back to the coast and we hope to visit again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magnolia B
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

This Guest House is definitely a cut above the normal and ordinary. Our arrival on a very wet Friday night was met with friendly efficient warmth. The two bedrooms, one double and one twin were comfortable, immaculately clean, great towels and had organic toiletries along with a collection of hot drinks.

The breakfast was probably one of the best we have ever had, freshly made organic porridge, fruit, yoghurt cereals, cooked breakfast using the finest ingredients and plenty of toast with home made jams. After that we were certainly glad that we were out walking all day!

Nothing was too much trouble, in fact our hosts were always one step ahead. Our wet clothes were taken and dried, our forgetfulness to bring both the maps we needed was no problem as there was one to borrow.

We loved the consideration to the environment, something that they should be justly proud of, especially as there was no compromise on comfort, warmth or anything really! Just proves that it can be done.

We loved it so much that we have already booked for next year to tackle the same Real Ale Rambles.

Thank you for a great time.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

if you want peace and quiet combined with dramatic scenery PLUS a food lovers paradise,look no further than Lasswade... we had a lovely room with fantastic country views.Our aim was to do a spot of cycling and site seeing and I must say it is a fantastic place for this.Roger and Emma soon helped us out with some routes and extensive knowledge of the local area(plenty of maps available).In the evening we had a superb 3 course dinner with locally sourced produce beautifully cooked and presented and a different menu each night (good range of wines too).
A nice touch is that the hotel is keen on green issues.
Lovely toiletries and environmentally friendly ! well done, we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Tucked away just outside the Brecon Beacons, the Cambrian Mountains are just as challenging, and the nearby Elan Valley offers easy walking without so many hills! The Lasswade Hotel is comfortable although a bit tired in places, but the proprietors Roger and Emma, are welcoming and entertaining (Roger) and full of local facts and figures. The Lasswade is a 4* restaurant, with rooms, and has 2 rosettes for food. Roger certainly "talks the talk" when it comes to cooking. There was a good choice of meals, with a different menu each night. The meals were delicious!
It is worth visiting this hotel even if you don't want to do any walking, as the scenery is spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RetiredCongresbury
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is most definitely a ‘Restaurant with Rooms’. The restaurant is clearly their main focus and I was disappointed to still hear loud voices coming from the restaurant below at 11pm on a Monday night, especially as I had to be up for work rather early.

I was allocated the twin room - The ‘Green’ room - which supposedly has a loo with a view according to the website. Well, unless you’d count tiles and a fake plant as a view, I’d be inclined to change that statement!

The TV is tiny but the room is generally comfortable and has the amenities you would need – tea making facilities, hairdryer, soaps, alarm radio, plenty of plug sockets! Unfortunately the shower was just a dribble which I always find disappointing - nothing beats a nice powerful shower.

There is free wifi in the building which is very useful as I used it to scope out the local area. Travelling alone makes it difficult to find somewhere to eat, and as I didn’t fancy the fine dining downstairs, I thought I’d look elsewhere. Unfortunately, it’s all fine dining restaurants around here, with a few pubs strewn around. I walked up to one and discovering a couple arguing outside the door and a sensing rather ‘local’ feel about the place, kept walking. Another seemed friendly enough but busy so I went to the final one and, as there was nowhere else to go, ordered some food… It seems that all that’s on offer in this town is fine dining or cheesy chips!

I was only staying in this area as I was working nearby and would not return through choice. There is not a lot here to do and I found the owners of Lasswade to be a little too attentive. I was reminded at least three times to book myself in for next year…which I just found a little too desperate! I’m sure they were just trying to be friendly.

I had a simple breakfast but it was very tasty. They were very generous with the juice too as I wasn’t a tea drinker.

Overall I was a little disappointed by the place and think the price for the rooms, despite being Show week, was very expensive. I had stayed one night at the Lake Country House prior to this so the direct comparison was jarring.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the house have the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JossWanders
chaff_22, Owner at Lasswade Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

This review has been addressed with the Company (who made the booking) not the individual. They are very embarrassed and dissapointed that their employee should write all this especially as they have been very happy with everything and been using Lasswade for a number of years.