“An old style hotel that has lost some of it's gloss”
Review of Hotel Commodore

and 1 more site!
Hotel Commodore
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed at the hotel recently and found it to be a hote lthat has lost a bit if it's glaour. In it's heyday it must have been a four star hotel but has now dropped to 3*.

The hotel was comfortable and the rooms newly decorated. The staff were very friendly and breakfast was good ith the exception of instant coffee.

I would stay hear again

Reviewed May 7, 2014

All staff, including the owner, were extremely helpful and friendly.
We had an older room on the top floor as the owner told me when I booked that all the refurbished were already booked, as a result she didn't charge me for the dog. The room was spacious, beds comfortable, tea/coffee and kettle in room, a little bit tired as she warned me and shower not very easy to use, but ok. I expect when we come again it will have been refurbished anyway.
The breakfast was excellent, except for tea and coffee - it would have been nice to be offered a pot of real tea or coffee, but the Full Welsh was really great, and fresh fruit salad and cereals and toast too.
The bar was very comfortable for a drink in the evening.
We didn't try the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RBR47
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Hi, to add to the previous 2 reviews whom I believe are colleagues of mine. I arrived at 9pm to be greeted by a nice log fire and a very helpful young lady working the reception desk and was shown to my room 24 with minimal fuss. Having been given the heads up about broken door locks etc. I checked my door and found I couldn’t look it from the inside so I trundled back down to reception ready for confrontation. I didn’t get any, just masses of apologies and assistance to carry my bags back up to be shown how to lock the door. Basically the doors don’t lock from the inside and I felt really bad for making a fuss.

No food as after 9pm but very helpful directions to a couple of places, which our earlier arriving colleagues had said not to bother with. We ignored them as they are mere male species and what did they know anyway and ended up at a brilliant Indian just round the corner, so good we ate there again the following evening.

Back to the room, my room had been recently re furbished and I had the coffee maker, shower took a bit of warming up but it worked.

There was some outside noise at 1.00 in the morning but clearly outside of the hotels control and the second night was very quiet.

The breakfasts were very good as well, can’t comment on evening meals or the bar as we didn’t sample them.

The town is clearly struggling and I would stay in this hotel again, if only to support it and help the town, too may derelict buildings and if this “Scooby doo” mansion wasn’t being run as a hotel it too would be derelict so hats off to the good folk of the Commodore for the quirky characterful charm they portray.

My advice is to go there with your eyes open, check your door locks and shower works and then enjoy your stay remembering that this beautiful old hotel is somehow managing to survive in a pretty difficult location and has never been described as 4 star.

Steamship

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Reviews for this hotel are very varied and, in my opinion, it is not as good as the best or as bad as the worst.
I stayed here for two nights, with five colleagues, because we were working close by. We had tried to book into another hotel, but is was full and so this was not our first choice. The reviews made us worried and so here I will try to provide an accurate review based on the facts.
Check in - we arrived just after 9:00 in the evening to a lovely greeting from the young receptionist. There was a nice log fire burning in the reception lounge and it was clear that she was expecting us. We were hungry, the hotel restaurant was now closed, but our nice receptionist was able to direct us to a choice of place to eat close by.
The rooms - my room was on the top floor and a good size. The furnishings and decor of the room was fairly new and it look reasonable clean, although I later noticed that there were lots of long blonde hairs on the floor (not mine I am a brunette). The bathroom, however had seen better days and had a nasty damp smell, probably from the carpet. One of my colleagues had a really nice room (with a coffee maker) and another had to reject two rooms because the door locks were broken.
The public areas - There is some lovely character in this hotel, beautiful stained glass windows on the stairs being my favorite feature. But the overall feel is faded grandeur. On the first night I noticed a pile of biscuit crumbs on the stair by the lift, these were still there on check out two days later.
The staff - all the staff were excellent, helpful friendly and one of the high points of the hotel.
Breakfast - I didn't try the welsh cooked breakfast, as they serve really nice yogurt, but my colleagues tell me it was really good. Although the coffee was a jar of instant and a flask of hot water to make your own.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank purpleTerry
Reviewed May 2, 2014

If like me you are used to travelling on business this hotel will come as something of a culture shock; there is nothing standard or "chain" about it!

I arrived in the early evening, at first glance it looks a lot like a house you would see on Scooby Doo, narrow and tall with lots of windows! The car park had plenty of room and I parked next to car that looked like it had been there for months (flat tyres, leaves all over the floor etc.)

On entering I appeared to be the only guest in the hotel; the receptionist was friendly and checked me in without fuss... all it took was signature, no messing around with credit card swipes and filling in forms in triplicate. I was furnished with a key to room 27 and directed up the stairs.

Impressions were mixed... reception/lounge area looked comfortable with a good selection of seating and a TV above the roaring fire. Lift warned "2 PEOPLE ONLY" so I gave that a miss and walked up the stairs.... a profusion of woodchip on the walls gave a slightly downmarket feel, but the smell of fresh paint obviously indicated some ongoing refurbishment.

My room was spacious and quite impressive and clearly had recently been redecorated. There were two large beds and a good vanity and wardrobe unit. The wall boasted a flat screen TV above a couple of easy chairs. The bathroom and large but was unusual in that the toilet was up two steps and there was a brown shag pile rug on the floor.

A short while later I was unpacked and ready to venture into the town centre.... and then the problems started.

Firstly my door would not lock, the receptionist and another gentleman came to my aid and after a deal of head scratching and fiddling and a selection ok keys we figured out how to operate the lock mechanism "which had just been changed". Unfortunately in the process the door became dislodged and so now would not close.

It was suggested that the best thing would be for me to move next door to room 28 so I collected my belonging and relocated.

This room was if anything more impressive than the first, it had a "Nespresso" machine and gown and slippers in the wardrobe, it even had a working door and lock. So all in all I was happy and headed downstairs to get the key for my room and head out.

Bad news waited for me.... Room 28 was booked the following evening and as I was staying two nights I could not stay in that room! So I was on my march again, up to collect my belongings and then down to Room 14.

This room was much less impressive and dated, I called it the "Three Bears" room as it had three single beds equally spaced along one wall, a small bathroom with "macerator" loo and the smallest TV I have seen for many years... but it was a room and I was fed up so it would have to do! I unpacked AGAIN and set off AGAIN only to find that the lock didn't work AGAIN.

Receptionist to the rescue again "you just have to wiggle it, let me show you".... oh it doesn't seem to work!

So I was off on my travels AGAIN, this time to "Daddy Bears" room next door, Room 15; we checked the lock first this time - thankfully it worked, so I was unpacking again.

This was of a similar decorative standard as Room 14, ie clean but a bit scruffy. It had a large bed that dominated the room and left a couple of feet around it. The bathroom needed "updating", the toilet seat was of the wooden variety that had worn in various areas that always makes me feel that it might not be as clean as it might be - but it was a room, the door locked and it was "mine".

Having spent 30 minutes touring the hotel and packing/unpacking my bag I needed to freshen up... unfortunately the hot water took over 5 minutes to appear at the tap having been running the water quite forcefully for all of that time... I decided not to risk the shower and so after a quick swill headed out.

I must say that throughout this saga the receptionist was very apologetic and for the first couple of moves I could see the funny side. She also indicated that "these sorts of things always seem to happen on my shift!", and offered me a free drink at the bar as compensation for my inconvenience, I declined as I was unsure what disaster might have awaited me so I headed out hoping to find a nice pub to have something to eat and watch the football on TV.

The town itself was bereft of any atmosphere and even having asked the locals I struggled to find anywhere.... but that will have to wait for another review!

The remainder of my stay was comfortable, the bed was comfortable, I slept well and breakfast was good (although the "coffee station aka a table with some Nescafe sachets and a flask of hot water, was a disappointment.)

So on balance if you get to stay in a refurbished room, don't have the "lock" problems that I had you would consider this hotel comfortable but perhaps quirky and individual.

If the owners can survive in a town that seems to be well and truly in decline and continue the refurbishments while keeping prices reasonable they could have a great place - good luck!

Room Tip: If you get rooms 27 or 28 and they have fixed the doors/locks you will be ok.
1  Thank Vogon64
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is well positioned between local over priced 4 star, and all the local guest houses. The owner is modernising what has been a very run down old, large hotel, but I stayed in a modernised room. The owners attitude was excellent and they were very helpful responding to things like lost tooth brush. Also decent free internet. I would have loved to give 5 stars but the hotel is still too tired, and the staffing level was a little more toward guest house level than a full hotel

2  Thank 186338Philip
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

This rm was booked on my behalf for a business reason. Just had a night here just all full small RM it was cold. The manageress was lacking in social skills. And a very sharp tongue as I read other reviews say the same.rude too all her staff. Food was OK though

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank ben1990smith
Andrea_Murdock, Owner at Hotel Commodore, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

I am appalled that a disgruntled member of staff that has her employment terminated could be allowed to get away with writing such an obvious attack on the Manageress and the hotel. I have reported this to Tipadvisor to remove this fake review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 3 in Builth Wells
Greylands Guest House
Greylands Guest House
#2 of 31 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Hotel Commodore? Share your experiences!