All reviews coffee machine new owners ongoing refurbishment serving breakfast lovely building roaring open fire middle of town nothing too much trouble lovely atmosphere night's sleep coach trip warm welcome excellent food mid wales yogurt andrea wedding
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to this area often for the Welsh dog show in Builth, as we live 4hrs away we have tried to find somewhere that allows dogs and is of a good standard, at last we have found one. Our room was large, clean and comfortable. It is clear that refurbishment is ongoing, but not noisy or intrusive. Our shower had hot water and the bathroom was also a good size and clean. We did not want to leave dogs in our room, although we did bring their cage, and we were advised that we could have the restaurant food served to us in the bar area where we could take our dogs, which was great, as was the food and the service. For people that may be put off as dogs are allowed in the hotel there is a strict code of conduct that dog owners have to sign up to, and, if you are a responsible owner you would keep to these rules anyway.
One of our bedside lights was not working, we mentioned this and it was fixed straight away. All the staff were helpful, efficient and friendly. As well as the bar there is a lounge area of a good size and comfortable seating, a small children's area and a large number of books if you have forgotten yours. Breakfast was lovely and well cooked, and again service was good. This is not the Dorchester or Savoy but if you want friendly efficient and clean you should come here. We will be back whenever we are at the show.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel should be renamed Faulty Towers. I checked into hotel at 11.30 pm and the porter gave me my room key so off I went. When I opened the bedroom door I was surprised to but it mildly that there was someone in the bed asleep. I made a quick exit hoping that I did not disturb them and thankful that I was not attacked for entering someones room in the middle of the night. When i told the porter I just got a "sorry" and was given a different room.

The room I ended up with was in desperate need of upgrading: wall paper falling off ceiling, TV had picture but no sound, a massive spider in the bath (this was the least of my issues), no HEATING or HOT WATER at any time.

One staff member was really rude and not helpful at all. The rest of the staff I found friendly but not interested in resolving any of the issues.

Breakfast was nice but while in dining room water started dripping from the ceiling onto floor- judging by the staffs response this is a common occurance.

With all the issues the hotel would only give a 10% discount and that was after I demanded a discount. For £40 per night I expect to be able to take a shower in the morning with hot water and for there to be some heating.

I never go on sites to write reviews but I just had to inform other potential customers of the shortfalls of this hotel and more so because the hotel don't seem to be interested in looking after their customers just taking their money.

6  Thank Kevin O O
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

A budget hotel that is a lot cheaper than the competition locally. Room was nice and clean and beds comfy and fresh.
It's had a makeover and for the price was ok.
Only real criticism was the lack of hot water in the morning that meant a shower was not an option.
The staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed as part of a larger group and found the hotel to be well organised considering the group size (circa 75). The twin room was small but functional and the beds were comfortable.

The food was good, the staff were very helpful and always eager to please. Parking was easy and plenty of it.

Highly recommended, a good hotel at excellent prices and very well located.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Commodore was bought by the current owners about a year ago and during this time it has seen a vast improvement over the tired, run down building it once was. Refurbishment is ongoing and still has some way to go but the staff, food and overall feeling of comfort more than made up for it. The staff did a marvellous job catering for around 70 of us over a long weekend and we left with a booking to return again in the spring of next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on a high floor on the South or West side of the main building or the rear of the annex are quieter