“Lovely trip”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
“Lovely trip”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked the dinner bed and breakfast deal through travelzoo. We were very happy with the hotel and facilities. We used the spa facilities when we checked in and again after we checked out! The 6 course taster menu was great and the staff couldn't do enough for you! Would recommend this deal to anyone and will definitely book again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Lauren,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning. We have great offers on our website and always prefer direct bookings as they save us the huge commission we pay online agents such as Travel Zoo. So the message to everyone reading this is please book direct, it's the best way to ensure I can keep offering these great prices.

That's enough of the sales pitch!

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back however you chose to book with us.

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Cheshire UK
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay. The Gourmet Spa Break is offered on the hotel's website and is fantastic value. The deal included B & B, dinner with champagne (first night was a 6 course taster menu, the second a three course menu with a choice of 3 from each course) a 55 minute spa treatment and access to all their facilities. The website says a maximum of 1 night's stay, but if you phone the hotel, the reception staff couldn't be more helpful and said it was possible to book for two nights.

The room we had was on the top floor at the rear of the hotel, so no road noise at all, and very well appointed. The beds were very comfy, though I think the pillows were a little hard - I take my own pillow wherever I go, so that was no problem. I didn't ask if there was a pillow menu though. The rooms were clean and had everything you might need.

The bathroom was very newly renovated and there was a bath and a shower and the only criticism I have is that there is always a single light on in the bathroom and when you open the door the other lights come on and the noisy fan begins. This is OK during the day, but at night this caused disturbance. Perhaps the hotel could look at this. It might have seemed a good idea at the time, but not having a switch to control your lights is a little annoying.

The food in the hotel was very good. The breakfast delicious and the evening meals great. The staff serve with a smile and were very helpful and friendly. Can't praise them enough.

The spa treatments were really good. The therapist knew her stuff and we felt well and truly pampered. The relax room was a little chilly, but we were given lovely blankets and a heater was brought it to make us more comfy. The staff were great.

The hotel may seem a little old fashioned, but honestly that's its charm, I would recommend a stay there and the deal was fantastic.

Room Tip: High Floor and at the rear.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bordertraveller,

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014

An excellent venue for Sunday lunch with good quality and variety of starters, mains (really - Rib of beef) and deserts with friendly staff to serve. Service in the conservatory is preferable to the dimly lit restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear iapowys,

I probably shouldn't say this but I love Sunday lunch in The Metropole and I am so pleased you and so many others appear to. There is always such a nice atmosphere with many locals chatting as they walk between tables with fellow local diners. I always have beef myself but I'm assured that it's all good.

Please make yourself known to me next time you're lunching and you see me.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

An ugly looking green building, but inside a quaint hotel. We arrived in the bad weather and the hotel lost power but the generators soon kicked in. Some parts of the hotel were on the cold side!
Our room was great nice large bed room clean and a nice size bathroom, we were next to lift but did nt ind it a problem.
What makes this hotel is the food in the evening....excellent quality..champagne with the taster menu a nice touch. Only problem is the service is too quick, as soon as you finish one course within two minutes you got the next, 6 courses in 45 mins......slow down it would make it a better experience.
Disco was ok..
If I did not live so far away I would defo go back for the food

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for two nights at this lovely hotel for valentines weekend, we were greeted by very friendly staff and was shown to our executive room, which was fab! We used the gym, swimming pool and jacuzzi, all which were very clean, the evening meals were amazing, the food presentation was fab in itself, the staff worked very hard and were a credit to the owners, would definitely recommend to friends and family, as it was excellent value for money, jackie and cliff mullen

Dear Jackie and Cliff,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Valentines weekend with us and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Metropole again soon.

Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We with returned,to enjoy a second Valentines disco night. The hotel was pretty full ,with a 60th party also going on,the experienced management coped admirably.great.
Our meal was a delight,especially the Welsh cutlets served with cleverly presented veg.Standards for breakfast being equally maintained.
Always reassuring to see familiar faces around,including the owners.
All this on a " special " too
As an aside we visited the Élan Valley lakes later where the dams were being overtopped following the rains. Spectacular .

Dear Mr and Mrs Bardwell,

Delighted that we were able to welcome you back to the hotel again and to read that you enjoyed your stay. As a management team we have had something of a chuckle about your 'experienced' comments, reflecting that experience is fast becoming a euphemism for old.... I've been here 26 years now and Robert, Sam and David, 2 of whom are older than me have all been here over 10 years. Hopefully we know what we are doing!

I was up at the Elan Valley visiting a farmer yesterday below the Claerwen Reservoir and the water was flowing over the dam. It look spectacular.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Metropole.

Kind regards
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Having booked in for the Valentines Saturday night package for 5 course meal, disco, room and breakfast and use of the Spa facilities we were given a very warm welcome. Check in was efficient by friendly staff. We were allocated room 322, and found that this was next to the lift. From previous comments on trip advisor, it had been recommended not to have a room next to the lift. We went back to reception where Lorna was particularly helpful in reallocating a fabulous room 135 which was far superior and quieter.
We used the pool facilities with sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi and the staff in the Spa were very friendly and helpful too.
The evening meal had various sitting times to suit all and there were numerous staff in the restaurant who were very attentive. The food choices catered for all with exceptional quality and taste. The tables were beautifully set with adequate space between them all for couples to enjoy chatting and the ambience was suitably created.
The disco was held in a separate room which apart from being very hot, was a lovely intimate setting. The DJ provided a range of music catering for requests but unfortunately cleared the dance floor on a number of occasions.
Breakfast the next morning was in a Buffet format, with lots of choice and everything being piping hot , again the staff were very attentive. Having attended this function last year which was good, this weekend was far superior
Overall a very enjoyable weekend at a lovely venue. The Metropole is a Grand Setting and can only be recommended for a return visit.

Room Tip: Room 135 is particularly spacious
Dear Kentdee

Thank you for your kind feedback following your stay for the Valentines weekend. It is always pleasing to read good feedback from guests who have stayed with us before. It means we must be doing something right.

It seems that the staff excelled themselves during your stay and I know they will be delighted to read your praise.

I hope we shall see you in 2015 if not before.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!