“At least you get a meal on a Sunday night !!”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were visiting Llandrindod Wells on a Sunday and discovered all the recommended restaurants are doing so well they close on a Sunday evening. We were delighted to find that the biggest hotel in the town did however serve food so we booked. We arrived at this rather run down relic from the past which seemed to specialise in coach parties for the elderly and found a bistro which was reasonable. The only problem was that there was a faint odour of sewage pervading the corridors but we persisted to the bistro and had a reasonable meal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Billyboy, judging by your other reviews of your weekend in Wales it doesn't appear to have been a great success, which I'm sorry about. Aberdovey and Portmerion are generally delightful.

Obviously one visit for dinner cannot give you a feel of our overall customer base and we are in fact lucky to have many different market segments who make use of the hotel including the elderly and people who can't find anywhere else open. Everyone within reason is very welcome.

I would disagree that the hotel is a relic of the past. I, and my Father before me, have put many years of hard work maintaining the property and high standards of hospitality. The Brasserie in which you ate was part of £1.6 million project and only this year we did a small project to redevelop our lounge area which was very well received.

I am terribly sorry that there was an unpleasant odour. I was out on Sunday and did not return to the hotel until about 9.30pm and did not notice anything myself. I trust that you were well looked after in Spencers Brasserie and enjoyed a safe journey back to wherever you were staying.

Justin Baird-Murray

Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Metropole
An old fashioned building providing traditional top quality service with 21st century facilities. The metropolis is a bit qwerty but staff were smart, discrete and helpful. There are thoroughly 21st century facilities with wifi, freeview in all rooms and a modern bar.

The room I stayed in was spacious, clean and the bed was comfy. The traditional curtains took a little tweeting but did eventually black out the light!

Was able to book a spa treatment same day to fit in between conference and dinner, and service was brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Cardiff69, delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and managed to fit in a Spa treatment. All to often people cannot make the time but it is well worth it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am a lawyer and had to cover a case in LLandrindod at short notice. Terrible traffic problems, so didn't arrive till 11.30 pm. Hadn't booked in advance. The [male] receptionist was totally unfazed and found me a room. When I told him I'd been driving for 6 hours, he said: 'Ah, you'll be needing a drink...I'll open the bar'! It was the most satisfying 'pint' in a long time! The room was large and comfortable, with wi-fi [which I needed]. The morning receptionist gave me detailed directions to the newly-built local court, which I wouldn't otherwise have found [as it's out of town]. I intend to go back with the family for a weekend, in this lovely part of the country. A proper hotel, with proper service...not cheap, but worth the price.

Room Tip: Can be some traffic noise at the front...but that's not the hotel's fault.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank nicholas r

Dear Nicholas, nothing pleases me more than to read that we have communicated well with customers and also anticipated their requirements. I hope that on you next visit to the town you will have longer to enjoy the facilities. Thank you for your comments which are appreciated.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our third visit to the Metropole, this time to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Once again the hotel was fully booked and not a sign of stress amongst any of the staff. Speed of service and quality of food in the restaurant was perfect. Despite being full and hosting the Quick Quacks motorcycle club and Lotus 7 club there was still plenty of space in the car park.

Excellent value for money on an all inclusive deal and loads to do locally. The Elan Valley with its magnificent dams is a must to visit. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Wycombeorpheus,

I was very pleased to read your feedback following your stay with us and delighted that we again made your stay enjoyable.

The Elan valley is such a wonderful place and of course in the coming weeks it will take on the wonderful Autumnal colours which are just beautiful.

We are running our Winter offer from 1st October which is fantastic value at £99.00 and can be booked via our web site so I do hope you will have the chance to take advantage of this.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited the Metropole because there was an offer on. So glad we visited - food was great, room was spacious and one of the cleanest I've stayed in. The staff were all really welcoming and the leisure centre was a real treat. Will definitely be booking again if they have another offer on.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank fudgethebunny

Dear Bunny...
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased to say our winter £99.00 offer commences from 1st October and runs into the spring so no excuses not to return.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back shortly.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Came here for a romantic birthday get away and were put in a grotty double room with bunk beds! We complained about this and were told we had to stay put. Food looked lovely on the plate but wasn't anything special to eat. I thought with the big discount for the travel zoo offer we'd be getting something special but it was like mass catered wedding food rather than eating at a good restaurant. Really small portions too so we were left a bit hungry - after 6 courses we weren't expecting that. Really rushed service so we were done in just over an hour. All in all a totally disappointing experience. I think if you'd never eaten in a top class restaurant maybe you'd think it was good, but if you have, I'd save your money and go elsewhere as it's just not good enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheffieldeaters
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Sheffieldeaters, I am sorry to read you were disappointed with your stay but a little bemused as to why you should take 6 months to post a review. I don't suppose it has anything to do with the fact that yesterday we launched our great £99.00 offer for the coming winter.
We had over 1200 bedroom nights booked last winter on the £99.00 6 course taster menu and the vast majority of the people who stayed with us enjoyed themselves, as can be seen by looking back at the reviews for that time.
I would always encourage all our guests to ask to see me or one of our managers during their stay if there is a problem. We are always happy to try to resolve any issues immediately. After departure there is really nothing we can do and certainly not 6 months after departure.
Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Huge hotel, odd green colour though not that it matters. Large restaurant, plenty of lounging area next to the bar, very comfy. Pool, Jaccuzi and sauna brilliant. Very enjoyable stay. Plenty of other eateries in Llandrindod to visit. Lovely part of the country.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!