“situated in a great position to visit the Brecon area”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
yelverton
“situated in a great position to visit the Brecon area”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Public areas of the hotel are very pleasant,bedrooms are clean but a little dated.We would recommend eating in the brasserie as we feel the main restaurant food is not quite as good.
Our only complaint regarding this hotel is the fact that smokers gather outside the main hotel entrance to smoke which results in the ground floor public areas smelling of smoke which as non smokers annoyed us a little.

Room Tip: The turret rooms are spacious
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ggjsg, I am often asked why we don't have more comfortable seating outside the front of the hotel and your feedback answers that question, I don't want to encourage people to congregate there. However I can't ban them so to a degree we just have to go with the flow and it has not given rise to any complaints in the past. The Brasserie food is excellent but the Radnor Restaurant should be as well and I will pass your comments on to Chef. Many thanks for your feedback Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Pwllmeyric
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is a little step back in time but not in a detrimental way. Hotel decor was pleasant & the lounge was very comfortable. The dining room was modern, light and airy. The staff were pleasant and efficient but there were quite a few staff members whose command of the English language was a little off-putting. Food was generally very good but portions were a little on the small side. The breakfast was buffet style and was O.K. with plenty of choice. Our only problem was with the superior double we ordered as it was right up on the 4th floor with a long high level window which had no view other the roof of the hotel. We asked to change but on the 1st night the hotel was full. They did agree to move us on the 2nd night & they kindly gave us a suite at no extra charge which was lovely & for little more to pay I would suggest treating yourself to a suite. All the bathrooms were newly refurbished & very, very nice. Both rooms very well equipped. If I needed to visit that area again we would stay again at the metropole but ask for a suite.

Room Tip: Book a suite as it is well worth the small additional charge.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carole, Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to read that we managed to resolve the Bedroom situation for you. We do have a fairly cosmopolitan Restaurant staff but language should not have been a barrier and I will monitor this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon, Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner in November, and feel compelled to write a review, we booked online and got a great deal for a two night stay with dinner bed and breakfast included. The welcome at reception was friendly and we were informed about what there is to do in the local area (not much, but if you are here for a getaway then it's perfect) we were then directed to our room which was of a good size with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. I think that our room had been newly refurbished as everything was new and shiny.

For dinner on the first night we had the 6 course tasting menu. Wow oh wow. Beautiful food, excellently presented, the staff were incredibly friendly yet still professional and the portion sizes were perfect for this sort of menu. Had a good nights sleep, the only small niggle was that I felt it was hard to regulate the room temperature, at times it was freezing, but after putting the heating on for a short while it became baking hot! Aso, I love the idea of having no lightswitch in the bathroom and instead having movement sensors to switch the lights on and off, however the reality is a bit different...while I was in the shower, the lights went off on me twice and twice I had to switch off the water flow, open the doors and stick my arms out and wave them around and around until the lights came back on again. Just a little annoying, but it gave me a giggle in the dark thats for sure! Getting up for the bathroom in the night however, the lights seemed to stay on forever once I was back in bed!!

Breakfast was faultless, everything really fresh, hot and tasty and plenty of choice, almost too much choice, if that's even possible! The second night the tasting menu in the restaurant was the same as the night before so we decided to eat in the brasserie instead and again our meal was wonderful. We didn't have treatments in the spa, we just used the pool, jacuzzi and steam room and it was fab, although the jacuzzi heater hadn't been working that day and had only just been fixed so it hadnt heated up yet and was a bit chilly, however these things happen and it didn't detract from our spa experience.

All in all, a fantastic hotel with very talented chef/ kitchen and waiting team. This hotel is by far the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in in my entire life, I challenge you to find a speck of dust or a fingerprint in the bathroom, you won't!! It's a shame there isn't much in Llandrindod Wells otherwise I'd be back all the time, but I will definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed November 2012
Dear Jodie, thank you for your comprehensive feedback. I would just like to pick up on one point you made and that is the cleanliness off the hotel. I am very fortunate to have an excellent Housekeeper, Caroline and her assistant, Karolina. Together with their team they are tireless in keeping the hotel shipshape, starting at 6am every morning in the public areas and then on to the bedrooms finishing at 3 to 4 pm. Housekeeping is the forgotten hero of hotelkeeping so often overlooked but without which what a mess we would be in, both literally and figuratively. I hope we shall welcome you back again in the near future. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Situated in beautiful mid Wales. If you want to tour that part of the world - this is the best hotel for miles.
Could not fault this hotel in any way whatsoever.
Swimming pool. Good food. Slept like a log! Quiet place! They train their staff - so lovely and attentive. They are a credit to the owner of this non group privately owned hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear FlyingFrock, the staff are fantastic and the real credit must go to my management team who lead by example. One of the things I believe in is that hotels should always have a manager on duty and this we do. The accountants/bankers don't like it but hey hoe, we'll do it my way. Hope that you'll be back soon, Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Corsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night at the Metropole on a Travelzoo offer. Lovely, building, fantastic large room, the food (6 course taster menu) was absolutely one of the best meals we have had in a Welsh hotel. The staff were so curtious, helpful and smiling! The breakfast was wonderful too. Highly recommend this wonderful find. Lovely small town in mid Wales. We went in February 2013, after breakfast we had a stroll around the small park opposite the hotel in the Spring sunshine and a wonder through the independant and charming shops. Lovely, lovely place we look very much to coming back to.

Room Tip: I imagine all of the rooms were excellent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is situated in the old spa town of Llandrindod Wells. The town itself is small but with some unusual shops, with pleasant and helpful staff. The bike museum was closed when we were there but it looked worth a visit, and a stroll around the lake is a wonderful way to spend a warm sunny afternoon, if you're feeling too energetic to simply sit in the gardens, where they hold the annual Victorian Fayre. There are interesting architectural features on some of the buildings. This is a town with a history worth exploring.

The hotel is on the main street and has very comfortable public areas - a nice fusion of antique and modern (including free wifi). Many people seem to gravitate to the bar area, which also has an enclosed terrace onto the main street for people watching. Lunch seems to be popular with most tables occupied - understandably something of a mecca in the local area perhaps?

We stayed one night at the hotel, to break a journey to South Wales, but it was so good we booked again for the return journey. We wished we could have stayed longer. The rooms have been recently refurbished, and are clean, comfortable, nicely furnished and with everything one could want. Tea and coffee making facilities were fine, although we wished the biscuits had been Welsh, rather than Scottish. The bathrooms were exceptional. The first room had a wonderful walk-in shower. We would have preferred these in all the rooms we stayed in, instead of a bath and over shower, but where we had these they were fine. Nice toiletries too.

The restaurant was excellent. The waiting staff were pleasant without being over solicitous, and the food amazing - especially the Welsh beef. Starters were fresh and tasty - I had asparagus salad - and puds were unusual and delicious - try the banoffee pie but be prepared for a mouthwatering surprise. Breakfast was equally good - one day was buffet style and the other table service. Although the hotel takes coach parties they seat groups separately, and as they dined early we hardly knew they were there.

There is a newish leisure wing. I swam in the pool morning and evening, which was clean and relaxingly warm. The changing facilities were also exceptionally clean, and the showers hot.

A note of caution - there are steps on some floors when you come out of the lift so make sure that if these are a problem the hotel is aware of this. We were in rooms that were completely accessible from the lift, which was important to us.

All in all this is a gem of a hotel with an excellent staff.

Room Tip: Rooms which incorporate a large bay window (135, 235 etc) were light and very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank someplacenice12
Llandrindod Wells, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Met up with the girls for coffee and ended up having a massage. Divine! The stress melted away with ease, friendly and attentive staff. Clean, fresh and modern new spa area as they have just had it re-furbished. A great treat for a saturday afternoon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheMetropoleHotel, Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Amanda, Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. The new Rock Spa is indeed a great addition to the hotel and the relaxation area a wonderful place to relax, read a magazine and maybe enjoy a glass of Prosecco. We have a special offer during July, a 55 minute treatment of your choice and a 2 course light lunch for £70. I hope you will have time to pop back again soon and enjoy it. Many thanks Judy, The Rock Spa Manager 01597828557
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Cedars Guest House
Cedars Guest House
#2 of 3 in Builth Wells

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!