“A giant green well oiled machine!”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Gold Coast Queensland
“A giant green well oiled machine!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Let me explain. Once you drive through the beautiful township of Llandrindod Wells, you arrive at an imposing GREEN castle-like structure that resembles something out of a Rupunzel fairy tale. Some parts of the hotel are very traditional & a little formal, yet other areas like bar & lounges are modern & up to date and somehow it seems to work. After parking the car to the rear, we wandered through the hallways until we stumbled across reception. Very pleasant & welcoming. There was a huge entourage of BMW enthusiasts staying, yet we felt equally valued. There was also a wedding function happening at the same time, but the hotel is amazingly staffed & organized to handle all this and probably more.
Once you reach your room, corridors are long & have no natural light giving it that slight rabbit warren feel. The room was very spacious. We were given a room with a double bed & double bunk bed. Great for family, but not a couple. I suspect the hotel was close to full as it was a bank holiday weekend as well. You could clearly hear movement on the floor above, but was ever so quiet when we needed to sleep.
Dining seemed v formal. Meals were well presented, & staff were extremely efficient & courteous. As we booked DB&B, we were unable to utilize the brasserie. The menu looked good.

I couldn't rate the sleep quality good, as the bed was just too small being a double (& we being tall). I must say I've travelled extensively over the years (although my 1st stay in Wales), and i did find it unusual for a 4 star hotel with anything less than a queen size bed in this day & age, especially when the rooms are so spacious.
The bathroom has been beautifully refurbished and of generous proportion. The bathroom light is automatic, and turns itself off, and had a mind of its own in the middle of the night, so a towel at the base of the door was needed to keep our room dark. The main hotel area & our room were very clean. A real credit to housekeeping.
I must mention how extraordinary the staff are here. Most of the senior personnel seem local. David, the Assistant Manager is the most unassuming person here. Incredibly humble, formal & efficient.The staff here are the backbone of this hotel. The owner should be proud of them. A special mention to Olga & Jacub who were great at dinner. We only drink bottled water when abroad, and even though the room has coffee & tea making facilities, there is no mini bar with bottled water. But on dialing '0', a large bottle appeared in a flash at 2am. Many thanks to the night porter. The free wifi is excellent.
Breakfast was equally as impressive as dinner, & the service efficient.
If you require a venue for any function, corporate event etc, you could not go past this hotel.
Thank you Metropole Hotel for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Incink, Thank you very much for such thoughtful feedback. I am sorry that I did not get to speak with you personally as I always enjoy chatting with our guests from overseas. Of course in Wales we are all getting over excited about the Lions tour which has such a strong Welsh influence. I trust you will be back in Queensland for the 1st test.
I am very fortunate to have such great staff, they really are a credit to themselves and a great asset to the hotel. David has worked for me and my Father before me and is a valuable member of the team.
Many of our double rooms have queen size beds and I will assess whether we can fit one in the room your were in. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
swansea
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Metropole on a Travelzoo deal with 6 course taster menu for evening meal.
GOOD POINTS:
Large car park with optional lift to first floor Reception
Free WiFi
Large bedroom with spacious bathroom and separate shower cubicle
Tea and coffee facilities in room,tv and trouser press(if needed)
6 course taster menu in evening was really superb, with locally sourced produce fantastically prepared
Friendly staff
BAD POINTS:
View from room on 1st floor overlooked air con ducts on flat roof

We just wished we could have stayed longer. We would definately recommend to family and friends
And hope to return ourselves.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandsteveSwansea
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear SandSteve, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future, with friends I hope! Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were keen to visit this part of Wales, which is absolutely stunning. We had received a special offer from The Metropole and so thought it would work well to have an overnight stay here. The hotel is very large, I think it has around 100 bedrooms. Our room was large and comfortable and had everything we needed. After arriving mid afternoon we relaxed in the spa which was lovely after a long drive. Our special offer included a 6 course taster meal and a glass of champagne. The meal was excellent and the food is all locally sourced and of very high quality. The staff were very attentive and we enjoyed a very pleasant evening. Equally the breakfast was very good. We have decided that we would like to visit the area again when we have more time and would be very happy to stay at The Metropole.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carol, Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We often have special offers on our web site and on the Tripadvisor site so please look here if you are looking for a good deal when planning your next visit. Look forward to welcoming you back, regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from an enjoyable spa day with eight friends celebrating a friends 40th birthday. I was however very shocked to experience a very rude and unpleasant welcome from the owner of the hotel within the first hour of our arrival. My friend had previously organised with the hotel that it would be allowable to bring a surprise birthday cake and was told that would be no problem. We were the only people in spencers bar when we were approached by the owner to say that he was not happy with us to have a celebration cake in the hotel. I do feel that it would have been better if he had communicated with his reception staff and bar staff first before approaching us , to realise that we had indeed cleared this with the hotel first. He certainly did put a "black cloud" over what was planned to be a special day. We received no apologies for his comments which was surprising as we spent a large amount of money in his hotel! . As a group of girls who all live and work locally to llandrindod wells, we may consider planning our next spa day further afield if this is the standard of management at the hotel metropole. Staff within the spa area, restaurant and bar were all pleasant and spa treatments were professional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank julie r
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Julie. I do apologies that I upset you. It was obviously not in my intention and is not in my nature. Had I realised I had done so I would of course have apologised to you personally yesterday. Obviously I am pleased that the other aspects of your day were up to scratch and that you enjoyed the hotel facilities for the full day. As you will have seen we are just completing our upgrade of the spa facilities and it would be a shame if you were to not use the hotel again. Kind Regards Justin Baird-Murray
Shrewsbury
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We wanted to visit the Elan Valley and see the Lakes/reservoirs and combine an overnight stay.
Spotted on travelzoo a special offer and we were
definately not disappointed as the hotel exceeded all our expectations. Several years ago we stayed at this hotel and it was very dated and tired but in recent times it has gone through a total refurbishment and even the hotels swimming pool and spa facilities were excellent.
The staff were well trained , very friendly and courteos. We also had a gourmet 6 course taster evening meal which in our opinion was exceptional. Well worth the visit as the area and scenery was a bonus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear DJB, Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations. I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We were not welcomed well upon arrival in fact we waited for some time for the receptionist to finish her phone call during which time we were not acknowledged.
We were them to they would not know if the room was ready until 2 pm. We were not directed to anywhere for a comfortable wait. The room behind reception was being decorated so there was plenty of noise!!
When I asked later if we could use the pool while we waited we were told we could. When we went down there the spa reception staff didnt acknowledge us (busy gossiping / chatting with each other) so we went through to change, whereupon we realised we needed keys for the lockers so had to go back to reception (again no orientation / welcome). There is no staff in the spa itself I.E. round the pool but plenty of builders walking around outside!!
When we checked into the room it was fine, pretty standard, no mini bar. Though they did have the trouser press!
We booked in for the tasting menu in the restaurant at night the food was very good as was the service in the restaurant really top class. Same at breakfast really good.
The staff in the rest of the hotel could do with a customer service course!
We will not be back and would not recommend it to others on that basis.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Kallienolan, I am sorry that you were not welcomed at reception or in the Spa as you or I would expect you to be. I would suggest that on the whole my staff are extremely welcoming and hospitable and believe that the overwhelming feedback on this forum suggests this is the case. However there is no room for complacency and I will certainly be speaking with both of these departments and reminding them of their responsibilities. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Cheap and cheerful hotel that's just supposedly had a makeover. The money was not spent wisely. For instance, the hotel has an electric car charging point. Are there ANY electric cars in mountainous Wales? The hotel has wide coverage wi-fi access. Which is good. But it also has infra red triggered lights in the bathroom with no manual override. Which means when you get up in the night, the lights go on and wake your partner. In our room (126) there was just one small totally inadequate shelf in the bathroom. Nowhere to put anything. The shower was HOT - impossible to regulate to warm water and so very difficult to shower without real pain. The beds were minute and the room small. The car park cannot be reached from the front of the hotel. You have to literally drive around the block. OK once you know, but on first arrival a nightmare as there is NO signage at all. On a positive note the staff are excellent. Though I must have misread the economic news - there must be full employment in Wales, as all the staff were immigrants.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere