“Excellent value break”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights taking advantage of a Travelzoo special offer. We paid just £99/night for a large double room, breakfast and a gourmet tasting menu dinner each evening.

We were not expecting much to be honest, especially when we drove up to see a hideous green huge edifice. But once inside it was warm, welcoming and friendly. We had a large, comfortable room and free wifi.

The food was outstanding. Mostly locally sourced and beautifully presented. Service was swift but never rushed and the plentiful staff were superb. We could not fault the evening meal. Likewise breakfast served local ingredients and replenished regularly.

We visited the Red Kite Centre which was fantastic and Powys Castle.

thank you Metropole, it is evident you take great pride in your staff and kitchen - we had a great time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank somerset-sal
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Sal, on the one hand I am delighted by your review but on the other hand horrified. To call my hotel and home "hideous"!!!! Only joking, I know it's a big hotel but I think it rather beautiful. The reason it is green is because when my father removed the ivy in the early 70's, about 1971 I think, green paint was the cheapest available and the 70's were tough times for the hotel. We've all got used to it and I think it unlikely I will ever change it now, indeed it has been repainted so many times since there must now be about 10 coats of green paint. The main thing is you enjoyed your stay which I am delighted about. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just spent one night at this hotel on a 'Travelzoo' special. The 6 course evening meal was fantastic and compliments to the chef. Had a lunch in the modern bar which was 'just right'. The afternoon was spent in the spa and completed with a massage. The hotel has been in the same family for over 100 years and it is reassuring to see that there has been a steady refurbishment to modernise the hotel. It was a bitterly cold week-end and the room was a little on the cool side but a portable electric heater was waiting in our room to boost the temperature. Our only regret, as it was so cold, was not playing golf at the nearby Llandrindod Wells golf club set in a spectacular location overlooking the town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy H

Dear Jeremy, the good thing about not playing golf in March is that it gives you an excuse to treat yourself and wife to a return trip in the summer. The views from the course are absolutely stunning. I am very much a fair weather golfer not venturing up there during the winter months but I can highly recommend it from April onwards. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us despite the cold. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow! Just spent a night at this great Hotel with the "Travelzoo" 6 course meal deal, and what a meal it was! Superb food , wonderful presentation and dining room staff gave 1st class service, as a Family run hotel they can be very proud of the entire set-up as Hotel chains do not give this kind of quality! The pool was great as was the steam room, sauna and jaccusi, clean in all areas.
Room size average, bathroom wonderful, the only thing was the high long window, you needed to "stand" to see out , a small thing but not in the room in daylight hours for that long!
My husband and I spent the day around the Elan Valley which was spectacular!
Would recommend this hotel to anybody. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have wonderful bathrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Suski, I so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will find the time to visit again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 10th & 11th March. We enjoyed a 6 course taster menu on the first night, which was a gastronomic delight. Each morning we enjoyed a full buffet style Welsh breakfast.
We stayed in an executive room which was quite large and very well furnished. The hotel also boasts a spa and swimming pool (which we unfortunately didn't take advantage of but they looked very nice)
The hotel is perfectly located for exploring this part of Wales where the scenery is stunning.
All of the staff were very pleasant, courteous and helpful and had a smile for everyone.
Would we go back to this hotel - without a doubt as we totally enjoyed the experience

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear John, very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are fortunate to have stunning scenery and it looks particularly magical at the moment with snow on all the surrounding hills. I look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here with a Travel Zoo deal - one night's bed and breakfast with a six course taster menu. We arrived early as weather was too bad to stop anywhere on the way, but our room was waiting for us. a very warm comfortable, well appointed room and a huge bathroom, both rooms spotlessly clean. The window was high up but we were not there in the day really so did not miss having a view. The only fault was the bathroom fan. This came on, with the light when you opened the bathroom door, Fair enough, but when you came out and shut the bathroom door, the fan stayed on for almost 10 minutes which was very irritating in the middle of the night. And there was no way around it! If the light and fan could have been operated by a switch or pull cord in or outside the bathroom, I would have had the option of going to the bathroom by the light by the wardrobe and leaving the door open and would not have woken my husband up twice! The rest of the hotel was a maze of rooms and corridors all decorated in keeping with the age of the hotel. It may have been a bit shabby chic in places but with such a huge higgedly piggedly place I congratulate the management on keeping it all so clean and well maintained. It must be a nightmare to give it the care and attention it needs. But you do well.
We had a short time in the spa and enjoyed it, especially the heated floors in the changing rooms!
And then to the meal. What a feast! I can honestly say it is one of the best if not the best meals I have ever tasted. Each dish was perfection. The portions were just right and the wait between coures perfect. How it was done so well is a mystery! The restaurant staff were amazing - efficient and professional while being friendly. And the chefs! What can I say?! Congratulations for such a meal. My only complaint - I wanted more even if I was comfortably full. Thank you.
Breakfast could not compete with dinner! But when it is a buffet, it never can. There was a good choice of food, and I sampled most ! Unfortunately, because it is a buffet, food gets cold while queuing and when things run out, but still a much better buffet breakfast than other places.
All in all, a wonderful stay and we will certainly be back

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ann, thank you for your feedback following your stay with us and I was pleased to read that over all you had an enjoyable stay. Lights in bathrooms are one of the biggest wastes of energy as people are always leaving them on, hence the introduction of automatic lights. The fan in a room without a window is a requirement of building regulations however I am unsure into the requirement as to how long it should stay on. I can see how in the middle of the night it could have been irritating and will investigate how easy it is to shorten the length of time the fan stays on. Thank you for your feedback and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

A lifetime ago, well 1969 and 1970, I was a student at Hereford Tech. and spent weekends and holidays working at the Metropole, mad crazy times.........Well I have just spent 2 days as a guest and have had a fantastic time. We stayed on the Travelzoo Gormet Spa Deal and we can't believe the food and service we received - FIRST class for sure. We also used the bar and spa, again perfection. Congratulations on keeping my memories of the Metropole so special and we hope to return soon. Thanks to all the staff for their care and for helping me remember old times. Be proud as the hotel is offering all one could wish for and after spending a lifetime in the Hospitality industry here and in Europe both my friend and myself were very highly impressed. Keep up the good work, and the Special Offers!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask when booking if you require a quiet room but all rooms looked of simular 1st class quality
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Caz, it's great to hear when people return to the hotel after so many years away. My Father and Mother would have been in charge back in 1969 when you had your holiday job at the hotel and I would have just been making a nuisance of myself as a 4 year old. Please come again soon and look out for the special offers on our web site which are always as good as travelzoo and by booking directly we don't pay commission to Travel Zoo. Hope to meet you on your next visit, regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived here having driven from London to escape the hustle and bustle.

On first appearences you see the back of the hotel from the road. And I was intially a little reserved. But when you drive into the car park you see this beautiful grand hotel building yes albeit green still very gracious.

We parked and walked up the stairs into the hotel. And were greeted by David apparently the token welsh man. Who welcomed us beautifully and assured us we would be looked after. And as he handed over the key to a what turned out to be a two bedroom suite I was sure they would.

We had dinner reservation for 8 pm and were seated at a good table where we then were treated to the 6 course taster menu. Which was delicious and the sea bream was exquisite. I had a half bottle of some very nice bordeaux and delighted in the pleasure of the good service.

My fiance described the hotel as a little oasis in wales and he was indeed right.

I had one of the most lovely memorable stays, which improved once again when we visited the lovely spa the next day for a swim and hot tub.

I notice that the hotel is in fact family run and owned which is some feat these days and very admirable how all the decor is smart and clean and well lets just say guys your getting it right.

If we werent heading north to scotland I would most definately take up the offer once again.

Thank you for some lovely memories of Wales.

Room Tip: the two bed suite was great thank you lorna
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Lu, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us but I wont let my old friend David hog the limelight as the token Welshman. There are quite a few of us, indeed some like me and my children were lucky enough to be born in Llandrindod Wells Hospital a stones throw from the hotel. As is the way in modern Britian there are a few of our continental cousins helping out, and a fine job they do. I hope you will be able to make the trip from London again soon and maybe stay a little longer. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Knighton Hotel
Knighton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knighton

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!