“Hotel full of character, good facilities and excellent service”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have to agree with a previous review - this place is straight out of the Shining. But its full of character in a good way and I didn't see any axes !!! Only here one night - rooms were medium size, well equipped and modern. Food was good quality - no issues at all. The staff were excellent. Being a man I forgot toothpaste and toothbrush. I asked at reception and they found a new one. Expecting a fair old charge I handed a £10 over and they said it was free ! Thats a first in my book. I also lost my door swipe card. Reception apologised for me losing my card ! Wow...

Couldn't fault the service at all....

Only problem is this hotel is in the middle of Wales and is a fair old trek from anywhere !! There isn't a lot to do after hours !!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SimonndJulie

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Have just returned from a overnight stay ( offered as a special deal on certain nights) at this hotel. Lovely hotel, excellent service, special taster dinner menu, which was superb and breakfast all included in the price. This hotel also has a beautiful spa, very reasonably priced which I will have no hesitation returning to for a day visit as luckily we live close enough to do. Didn't have time to checkout the local area or amenities but I am sure there is more to be discovered when we visit next time! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2013

As with many others here, we bought the Travel Zoo offer at £99. We had room 139 which was a large double overlooking the car park. Room was clean and obviosly refurbished. The en suite was spacious and again, spotless. The food in the evening was very good so was the breakfast. Made use of the spa, which again was good. You cannot really go wrong at this price. Not much to do ine town but had a pleasant ride to Devils Bridge and the Elan valley.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidtj0nes
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Had a Travelzoo break like many others on here. The hotel looks like something out of The Shining.... its large and imposing and not in the best green colour! When you enter the hotel is like a mixture of old and new and makes a refreshing change from going into a chain hotel where everything is the same. Our party had two rooms and both were huge and spacious with plenty of amenities and the bathrooms were as big as many bedrooms in other hotels! The six course evening meal was excellent, good portion sizes, extremely well cooked and very good waiting service. Breakfast had everything you could wish for on the buffet and then the opportunity to order things like scrambled eggs or kippers. Really couldn't fault it, and for £99 for two people its amazing value.
Not a great deal to do in Llandrindod but plenty of walks etc., we also went to Hay On Wye which is a quaint little town with various shops and great places to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bob1323
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Bob, thanks for your feedback and delighted you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully see you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I attended a conference in the Wedgewood room, there's a large carpark and the hotel is easy to find. I didn't stay overnight so I can't comment on the hotel rooms. The metropole is a grand old building and unfortunately suffers from the (presumably) crippling costs of heating such a large building.
The wedgewood room was cold. The conference delegates kept our coats on. The upside of this meant the meeting was over 2 hours early! Tea, coffee, blueberry muffins and biscuits on arrival was great but there were not enough cups. As the room was cold we were drinking more tea and coffee, just to keep warm. We requested extra coffee/tea, but were refused because it would take too long to make!!!
The minimal buffet lunch arrived on time - plates of sandwiches with one helpfully labelled vegetarian, I've no idea what was actually in the sandwich. The sandwiches were cut into fingers, which meant they fell apart when eating them - not a pretty sight. The quiche could have been anything - meat or vege who knows? The plate of fruit was inviting, and at least there were finally enough cups for everyone.
I didn't want to linger and was happy to hit the road home.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Julia, you are right about the crippling costs of heating The Metropole. With utility bills of around £250,000 a year and going up annually I sometimes wonder if I am not paying for the heating costs of a small town! I am sorry if the the room was cold. It is one of our most popular rooms and in the 17 years I have run the hotel I can say this is the first time I have been told it was cold. Because there is no date on your feedback and the room is used so frequently I cannot be sure exactly when you attended the hotel but I will investigate and find out if there was a problem with the heating at anytime recently.
I will have a chat with chef about the finger buffet you received. As you will know from reading other feedback on Tripadvisor we can and usually do provide excellent food. There is no reason why this should not be the case whether you are enjoying a sandwich or the 6 course taster menu. Thank you for bringing your thoughts to my attention.
I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit the hotel again either on business or for pleasure. Regards Justin Baird-Murray owner

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Metropole is providing wonderful service with comfortable ambiance.The place has that attractive faded glamour of certain Hotels.
It has an updated pleasant Brasserie supported by the Main Restaurant serving a well thought out and executed Rosette 6 course "Taster" Dinner.
Very good staff - all of whom are going those extra miles !

Quite superb and will come back.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TENZNorthWales

Dear Tenz, I am responding to your review on a Monday morning after another busy weekend and I think it is worth picking up in particular on your kind comments about the staff going the extra mile. They are a fantastic team that I have here and every department has to pull its weight to make things work and they all do. So thank you for your kind feedback and thank you to my excellent staff. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent a night at the hotel as part of a group of 4 friends (2 couples). Both double rooms were nice, clean and comfortable but our friends room did have a fire escape which obstructed the view from their windows. We took advantage of the good leisure facilities which included pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. We experienced an excellent evening meal which was a 6 course taster menu. We all agreed that this was one of the finest meals we had experienced with outstandind service from the staff. All the staff at the hotel were efficient, pleasant and helpful.
We enjoyed lunch on both days in the comfortable hotel bar and benefitted from a tasty breakfast with a good choice on the menu.
An excellent experience, which we hope to repeat in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room that has a fire escape outside your window.