“Cold conference room”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I attended a conference in the Wedgewood room, there's a large carpark and the hotel is easy to find. I didn't stay overnight so I can't comment on the hotel rooms. The metropole is a grand old building and unfortunately suffers from the (presumably) crippling costs of heating such a large building.
The wedgewood room was cold. The conference delegates kept our coats on. The upside of this meant the meeting was over 2 hours early! Tea, coffee, blueberry muffins and biscuits on arrival was great but there were not enough cups. As the room was cold we were drinking more tea and coffee, just to keep warm. We requested extra coffee/tea, but were refused because it would take too long to make!!!
The minimal buffet lunch arrived on time - plates of sandwiches with one helpfully labelled vegetarian, I've no idea what was actually in the sandwich. The sandwiches were cut into fingers, which meant they fell apart when eating them - not a pretty sight. The quiche could have been anything - meat or vege who knows? The plate of fruit was inviting, and at least there were finally enough cups for everyone.
I didn't want to linger and was happy to hit the road home.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Julia, you are right about the crippling costs of heating The Metropole. With utility bills of around £250,000 a year and going up annually I sometimes wonder if I am not paying for the heating costs of a small town! I am sorry if the the room was cold. It is one of our most popular rooms and in the 17 years I have run the hotel I can say this is the first time I have been told it was cold. Because there is no date on your feedback and the room is used so frequently I cannot be sure exactly when you attended the hotel but I will investigate and find out if there was a problem with the heating at anytime recently.
I will have a chat with chef about the finger buffet you received. As you will know from reading other feedback on Tripadvisor we can and usually do provide excellent food. There is no reason why this should not be the case whether you are enjoying a sandwich or the 6 course taster menu. Thank you for bringing your thoughts to my attention.
I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit the hotel again either on business or for pleasure. Regards Justin Baird-Murray owner

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Metropole is providing wonderful service with comfortable ambiance.The place has that attractive faded glamour of certain Hotels.
It has an updated pleasant Brasserie supported by the Main Restaurant serving a well thought out and executed Rosette 6 course "Taster" Dinner.
Very good staff - all of whom are going those extra miles !

Quite superb and will come back.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TENZNorthWales

Dear Tenz, I am responding to your review on a Monday morning after another busy weekend and I think it is worth picking up in particular on your kind comments about the staff going the extra mile. They are a fantastic team that I have here and every department has to pull its weight to make things work and they all do. So thank you for your kind feedback and thank you to my excellent staff. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent a night at the hotel as part of a group of 4 friends (2 couples). Both double rooms were nice, clean and comfortable but our friends room did have a fire escape which obstructed the view from their windows. We took advantage of the good leisure facilities which included pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. We experienced an excellent evening meal which was a 6 course taster menu. We all agreed that this was one of the finest meals we had experienced with outstandind service from the staff. All the staff at the hotel were efficient, pleasant and helpful.
We enjoyed lunch on both days in the comfortable hotel bar and benefitted from a tasty breakfast with a good choice on the menu.
An excellent experience, which we hope to repeat in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room that has a fire escape outside your window.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Owen, thanks for your feedback and I hope that we will be welcoming you and your friends back again in the near future. Sadly of the 110 rooms there are a very small number, about 4, that are effected by a fire escape, but I suspect your friends would have been more upset if they had needed to use it and it was not there. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed February 25, 2013

One night travelzoo deal.Good welcoming feel when you arrive and after a considerable drive enjoyed great brasserie lunch.Our room (executive) was small but comfortable and well equiped although the television was small and wall-mounted high in the corner making it difficult to see clearly.Bathroom good and apart from one minor issue (promptly dealt with) good standard of cleanliness.We enjoyed the pool and spa,the staff are all helpful and efficient.The 6 course taster menu was the best we have experienced,our evening meal was memorable and for this reason alone we will look to do this again soon I hope!

Room Tip: consider upgrade for a bit more space
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Eve, we would be delighted to welcome you back again soon. The £99 offer will be running until the end of April so there is plenty of time to return and we still have availability over easter. I have noticed in the last few weeks a lot of people coming in parties of up to 8 which seems like a really good way for friends to have a night away together. I hope we will see you again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Another visit here this time overnight to sample their taster menu. Room a bit on the small side but obviously recently (and tastefully) renovated.
Excellent food, menu well balanced and just the right amounts with a complimentary glass of (genuine) champagne.
Would certainly return again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed via a Travelzoo deal for two nights. We were made very welcome at the hotel reception; the hotel staff overall were attentive and efficient. Large car par which had an electric charging station, first one I have seen at an hotel! The hotel looks in places a little tired but nothing that should put you off unless you are very critical. Room was big but oh dear, no double glazing! There were six windows and the two radiators were doing their best, but the bedroom lounge area was large and on a protruding, rounded corner. The room took a while to warm up as the windows, even with the very heavy curtains, were acting to nullify the radiators, due to the coldest day of the year complete with very cold winds. The heating needed turning up to maximum all the time we were there. Excellent four poster bed, vast and soft and warm. Bathroom a good size and well appointed, but showing signs of use. Had the six course gourmet meal on the first night, in the very welcoming restaurant, superb! Good selection of wines from £16 and upwards. Second night we had booked for the same experience but found the menu was the same again, so ate in the brasserie instead; a well presented and tasty meal. The breakfast on both mornings was excellent with a good choice of both hot and cold food. The spa area was nice, well laid out with bags of equipment for the health freaks, good pool, steam room and jacuzzi, with excellent changing facilities but could have done with a few more lockers. Checking out was completed without any fuss, and an accurate bill for the extras.
In all a pleasant experience which I would be not averse to experiencing again.

Room Tip: Go for the rear of the hotel, corner rooms larger.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Along with lots of others, a group of four of us took avantage of the excellent Travelzoo offer. When we first saw this huge hotel, we weren't very enthusiastic (looks old fashioned and painted a bottle green) however we arrived to a very helpful and friendly receptionist. Our two twin executive rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable, with a lovely bathroom with a two headed shower (no bath). Took advantage of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. Again, fautless. Nice touch having hairdryers and bathing cosume dryer in the changing area. Lovely shower facilities with complementary shower gel in the cubicles- again so clean. Tried to book a massage but they were fully booked unfortunately. Evening meal was a delight- 'taser menu' was more than enough for our appetites- presentation fantastic and waiting staff were efficient and proffesional. Breakfast was plentiful and a huge choice of hot and cold food. Had lunch in the bar before returning home- such a comfortable and chilled out hotel. Can't recommend this hotel enough...all this for just £50 a head!! I'd go back like a shot! I'd checked out the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking and what's impressed me too is that the owner obviously checks out the reviews and feedback and replies to them too! Don't usually see that. Very impressive. Go there!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Three Wells Hotel
Three Wells Hotel
#2 of 4 in Howey

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!